Susan W
Greener Thumb

Potatoes, in pots-bags

I'm looking to mess with a few potatoes this season and this for some fresh new potatoes, not long term bakers. I do have more sun this season. I would like to play with some in pots/bags, and looking for input from your combined experience.

I came up on a source for growing bags. I can get 7 gal, 14", or bump up to 16". I would like to stay with the 7 gal. Is that big enough? What are you using?

The garden center here has seed potatoes. I never paid much attention, but may try 2 -3 varieties which is of course that many growing bags.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Still looking for suggestions and experience from those growing a few potatoes in containers.

JC's Garden

I play at it myself and grow in containers only. I like to grow Russian fingerlings.
I like free stuff so I grow in ice chest I've collected from doctor's offices. They get immunization packages in all the time. If I don't use them, they're just put in the trash.
I cut two jack-o-lantern style holes at the bottom of each end for drainage. Don't use them as actual ice chest because they have a loose cell structure and won't hold water for long.
They do offer short term freeze protection for the roots. In zone 8 that is generally all I need.
I've grown in containers as shallow as 6" with good results. I worry more about surface area than capacity. If I want to grow more I either get a larger container or more containers. Works for me.

caverdude

I've never thought about growing potatoes in bags. I guess you could even poke holes in the sides of the bags and grow them from the sides.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”