River

Labeling pop out planting cells

I tried a search but I might not have termed it correctly. So I am sorry if I missed it.
I am using the 72 pop out planting cells to start my tomatoe plants. I intend to plant 4 different varieties. I ended up purchasing the jiffy 5227 seed starter. I thought about masking tape with just a letter or number but I think with moisture it may not work.

Is there something that is designed that will mark the thin pop out cells?

applestar
Mod

I don't use the cell flats, but I have similar labeling problem when using soilblocks, and I have found maps made with Numbers (spreadsheet) works well for me. I just need to mark the tray to indicate which way is up. Here's a post from a thread -- you'll find more details there including photos:

Subject: I started some too :) -- experimenting with soil blocks
applestar wrote:I thought I would share with y'all my crazy seed planting plans (...still not completely finalized) nutz:

ImageImage

imafan26
Mod

I don't use cell trays. I do use 4 inch pots in flats though. I still have problems with seeds straying over into other pots and getting them mislabeled. To avoid getting seeds of the same kind of plant like tomatoes and cucumbers mixed up, I try to avoid planting different varieties of the same plant next to each other. I still get strays but at least a tomato does not look like a cucumber.

I will start different varieties in different trays. My pots are big enough to hold labels, but sometimes I have to lay the labels under the pots especially when I have to use a cover to keep the birds from eating the seeds.

If you are planting something else besides tomatoes you could separate them that way or Apple's idea of a map is good, then if I have multiple trays I only have to number them to tell them apart.

The only other thing I have tried is to plant different varieties at different times. That way they are not the same size so they are easier to tell apart.

Since tomatoes are easy to transplant, I start them in community pots with one dated label, they take up less space that way. I will transplant them to 4 inch pots later and they will then have their own label. I have fewer empty cells taking up space.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Foam poster boards white at t he dollar store can be cut in triangle wedges and marked. Water will not hurt them. One sheet will make 100/s with a fine magic marker its easy.! That is what I am using this year! I also use the Dixie cup sticks that you can buy at the dollar store also and get like 50 for a dollar! I even used small plastic knives from the dollar store to mark plants!

shadylane
Green Thumb

Wow applestar that is art going on there. Very impressive.
I used the flat wood sticks large enough to place a sticker with info. Didn't work out well, the stick absorbed the moisture smearing the info and cracked in half. I like the plastic knife idea, going to try that

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

for the cells, I use purchased plastic label sticks

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ap0tOVRAr-s/S ... c+jugs.png

You can get them pretty cheap by the hundred and I re-use them year after year. I plant the same type of seed in the whole block of cells, so I just use one stick for the block.

Where it gets problematic is once they start getting transplanted and moved around and up-potted. I am not going to have a stick for every plant. My plan this year for pots is to put a masking tape strip on each pot and label that.

JC's Garden

I have adhesive address labels that I cut down to an appropriate size and use an 'extra' permanent marker. Today, while getting ready to start new seed, I'm pulling off readable labels from last year.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I use those plastic labels, also. Plastic knives should substitute.

Buy an appropriate pen.

Sunlight just kills most ink. Johnny's Seed Co and others sell pens with ink in an alcohol base. Those work and last! Plan on buying one every 40 years, plus or minus :).

Steve

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I also use the plastic labels. Mine came from e-bay where I bought 1000 of them for a few dollars. I use a sharpie marker and then use nail polish remover to erase last year's name. I am set up for the same 40 years and I have quite a few less than that to go.

applestar
Mod

Sharpie as well as the more permanent garden marker erases nicely well with rubbing alcohol, too. Not as pungent as nail polish remover. 8)

imafan26
Mod

In use the plastic knives or popsicle craft sticks both are cheaper than the labels and don't break as easily. They double as digging sticks. I use a grease pencil on the sticks. Permanent markers are not permanent and they do fade. Pencils last longer on garden labels especially if you face the label toward the pot and away from the sun. I would prefer to use a grease pencil on the pot when I pot up, but I have a hard time finding grease pencils in any other color than black. I can only find them when the stores stock up for the school year.

I have also cut up old vertical and venetian blinds for labels. They last a long time.
If the knives and blinds are shiny, they can be sanded with fine sandpaper, then the pencil will work on them.

The plant labels I am finding now are very thin and brittle. Orchids have to keep their labels for years and it can be hard to pull them out of the plant, so it isn't worth using a thin; brittle label.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”