therealcrazy8
Newly Registered

Rose Growing Noob

So I have decided to grow a couple roses and have selected what I want to grow. They will be enjoyed greatly and they will serve a purpose. I'll be using the peddles and hips for rose water and rose oil.
That all aside I am a noob to all of this but am very excited to get started. The two varieties I have chosen to grow are "The Queen of Denmark" and "Dog Rose" (Rosa Canina). Here are my questions:

1. I have located an online source to buy "The Queen of Denmark" but cannot find a place (especially in the US) that sells Dog Rose.
1a. Do any of you know where I could purchase a Dog Rose?
1b. I just so happen to have a bag of dried rose hips I recently got from Amazon. Will I need (can I even?) to use one of the seeds to grow my own Dog Rose? If so, how/what do I need to go about doing that? I thought I read somewhere that you need them in the fridge for a period of time.

2a. Once I get my Queen, how should I prep the hole and soil where I will be placing it?

I think that should be it for now. Thank you all for the help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow roses, because they are pretty difficult to do organically, but I can say a little bit about the seed starting.

Roses are not easy from seed, it takes care and patience, and even so you may have a low germination rate. To start with, you have to cut the hips open and dig out the seeds. Then you have to get the pulp off them. Put them in a sieve/ strainer under running water and rub them against the strainer to get as much of the pulp off as you can. Then soak them for 24 hours in a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution. Then you need to cold stratify them. This means cold DAMP storage. It is not enough to just put the seeds in the fridge. You can wrap them in damp paper towel and put that inside sealed plastic baggie. Or you can plant the seeds in moist potting soil and then wrap the whole thing (pot, soil, seed) in saran wrap. Then put it in the fridge for a month to six weeks. Check every once in awhile to be sure the paper towel/ potting mix hasn't dried out. After that bring them out, plant them in very well draining potting mix, like maybe 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 vermiculite. Put them in sun or under lights, never letting them dry out and wait. Any where from a week to six weeks later, your seeds should sprout. After they have a couple pair of true leaves, transplant them into individual pots and continue to take good care of them.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

therealcrazy8 wrote:So I have decided to grow a couple roses and have selected what I want to grow. They will be enjoyed greatly and they will serve a purpose. I'll be using the peddles and hips for rose water and rose oil.
That all aside I am a noob to all of this but am very excited to get started. The two varieties I have chosen to grow are "The Queen of Denmark" and "Dog Rose" (Rosa Canina). Here are my questions:

1. I have located an online source to buy "The Queen of Denmark" but cannot find a place (especially in the US) that sells Dog Rose.
1a. Do any of you know where I could purchase a Dog Rose?
I am similarly stumped. Are you planning to grow these from seed or nursery division? A-n-d it will help you if you amend your profile or signature block with a nearby city and USDA zone. Lastly very old rose (and dog rose is one a those) often get renamed--look for apothocary rose instead.
therealcrazy8 wrote:1b. I just so happen to have a bag of dried rose hips I recently got from Amazon. Will I need (can I even?) to use one of the seeds to grow my own Dog Rose? If so, how/what do I need to go about doing that? I thought I read somewhere that you need them in the fridge for a period of time.
Rose needs a period of cold with intermitant warm (like being outside through a winter). The generalization for this kind of cold-wet-slumber is cold stratification. For rose seed I set up a pot with soiless mix and tow sow seed. I put a plank on top of the pot to keep critters out and put the pot outdoors in the cold and snow. As spring nears take off the plank, rose will germinate when it gets warm.

Your fridge does not offer the cycles of cold and wet of a winters nap. Plus humans keep fridges tidy, which means your seeds go to the dump.

I grow rose from seed every year ( find very small plants more affordable to give away. I would never try a single rose as a germination trial, their rate is too erratic. Plant 100 seeds over just one.
therealcrazy8 wrote:2a. Once I get my Queen, how should I prep the hole and soil where I will be placing it?

I think that should be it for now. Thank you all for the help.
In full sun, mulch it with wood chips spring and fall.

therealcrazy8
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:I am similarly stumped. Are you planning to grow these from seed or nursery division? A-n-d it will help you if you amend your profile or signature block with a nearby city and USDA zone. Lastly very old rose (and dog rose is one a those) often get renamed--look for apothocary rose instead.
Well, thats actually what I am trying to figure out. Considering my noob-ness (I do garden though), I figured that if I could get an own-root or something, might be the best option. Not sure if thats even an option for Dog Rose though. As far as the Queen of Denmark goes, I am buying an own-root for online, so that one is already figured out.
tomc wrote:Rose needs a period of cold with intermitant warm (like being outside through a winter). The generalization for this kind of cold-wet-slumber is cold stratification. For rose seed I set up a pot with soiless mix and tow sow seed. I put a plank on top of the pot to keep critters out and put the pot outdoors in the cold and snow. As spring nears take off the plank, rose will germinate when it gets warm.

Your fridge does not offer the cycles of cold and wet of a winters nap. Plus humans keep fridges tidy, which means your seeds go to the dump.

I grow rose from seed every year ( find very small plants more affordable to give away. I would never try a single rose as a germination trial, their rate is too erratic. Plant 100 seeds over just one.
Thanks for this. I will be sure to keep all of that in mind if I end up having to grow from seed. Considering that my rose hips I purchased are dried/dehydrated will the seeds inside even be viable? If not, and if I do end up needing to grow from seed, where could I purchase seeds from?

Thanks again for your help

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Rose seed does better with benign neglect than it does with careful fiddling.

Rose will sometimes just sit in their pot and do nothing. Let me stress they aint dead. They are just goofing off. By way of example. One of my first attempts to germinate rose seed had me work in the fridge. The solitary pot that did not get [s]tossed[/s], er, tidied up did not have a solitary germinated seedling.

So I left it out of doors per directions. The following spring (year two by my count) a few germinated. I then dumped the pot in a bed near my sidewalk. The following spring (year three) every single remaining seed germinated.

Apothocary rose, has managed for a long time in ditches and hedgerows. Don't kill it with kindness.

therealcrazy8
Newly Registered

So, the Queen of Denmark isn't really an issue at all since I will get an own root to plant. Is there any specific steps I need to take after getting the own root as far as from the package to the ground?

In regards to the Apothocary rose seed, do you have any suggested sites that carry that seed? Since I don't know how the rose hips, that I bought, were dried, I don't want to take any chances on seed that may not even be good. Once I do have seed, I will get them in the fridge immediately. I don't know if there is an answer to this, but how long should they stay in there? I have done this before, so is it still just a matter of waiting for a root to sprout?

Thanks again for all of the help.

imafan26
Mod

Apothecary rose, rosa gallica is a species rose. The best bet would be to join a rose club near you. Someone in the club may have one. They may also be better able to tell you how to care for and propagate roses from seed. I have tried and not succeeded.

Apothecary roses will struggle in my zone since they like colder weather, so you zone will matter. They are not a pretty rose and not in demand. I asked the local rose lady for one for my herb garden and she said they did not sell well and do not do well in hot areas.

Roses are hard to care for organically but the ones grown own their own roots, not the hybrids will have a better chance. I grow a shrub rose, baby blanket, and a rambler and they pretty much take care of themselves. I do not fertilze, they get watered with the other plants and I don't spray them with anything. All I do is cut them back and dig out the ones that have rooted on their own. Hybrid tea roses are almost impossible to grow organically, beetles with eat the leaves and diseases especially mildew and black spot will be a constant headache.

Roses should be planted in full sun with good air circulation. The height and spread of the rose will determine the distance between them. To keep roses blooming they need regular feeding and pruning and you need to use very clean tools. When you plant a rose, you will probably have to water them a couple of times a day until the roots start growing.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

More than 9 of every 10 rose seed (that I have gotten) are dried or come inside of dried hips.

imafan26
Mod

I get rose hips, but have never been able to get the seed to grow. Now when are the hips ripe enough to plant? and how long do they take to germinate?

I have rooted some of the species and shrub roses grown on their own roots, but have never been able to get even a cutting of a hybrid tea rose to take.

Return to “Rose Forum”