applestar
Mod

Hummingbirds

Here in the Mid- Atlantic region, we mostly only get one kind -- Ruby Throated Hummingbird -- although very rare Rufous Hummingbird sighting can generate media attention and mass birdwatching activity.

I just love them and have been trying to attract them to my garden and get them to nest here, but so far, they only reliably start visiting on daily clockwork schedule around July until near frost.

Can you see the hummingbird in these photos?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
image.jpg
image.jpg

JC's Garden

We love our's too. We put out four feeders and have trumpet vines planted for them. Six vines are blooming and range in age from 3 - 15 years old. The bloom starts in early May and last into November. When we first started, we would name the birds that spent the summer with us. One of our early favorites was Fatso. We still talk about him. Fatso was special. :wink: As it is now, there are just too many to name. We like it. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As far as I know, here we have only the Ruby Throat. We have a couple feeders and I grow lots of hummingbird flowers. The hummingbirds are around a lot right now, stocking up for the big trip. They won't be with us much longer. After "ours" leave, we keep the feeders up for awhile, in case there are migrants from farther north coming through.

LIcenter

The earlier you can get your feeders out, the better chance you will have some nest nearby. Depending on the temps, I try to put my feeders out toward the end of March. This is when (in my area) the males start to arrive. Then roughly two weeks later the females start to show up. If they know there is a constant food supply available, they are more likely to make your place their home for the summer. I use six feeders to keep the fights down, but there is always one bully that thinks every feeder is his. :wink:

ImageDSC_0057 by schabefrank, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0052 by schabefrank, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0017 - Copy by schabefrank, on Flickr

If you are looking for a plant that really draws hummers, and butterflies in.
Try planting a few (Cuphea ignea) 'Cigarette or Firecracker plant' I had four planted in a small raised bed in light shade. They grew here to about 2 1/2 feet high, but do not survive our winters, so for me it's an annual, but well worth it imho. Never a day went by that I didn't see at least three feeding on them at the same time.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”