TheLorax
Greener Thumb

How did everyone come by their user names?

I've been here a month now and noticed some fun and interesting user names. One I recognized as being a fossil but others aren't so obvious. How did others pick their user names? Just curious.

alisios

"alisios" is spanish for the "trade winds" "Los Alisios" are what sailors would wait for when setting out to sail from europe - Columbus had a particularly great knowledge of the way they worked and used them to reach the Americas

Here's an article about them It's in Spanish - but the little arrows are self explanatory!

https://www.fondear.org/infonautic/Mar/Meteo/Alisios/Alisios.htm

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

Mine is a Daylily. And it just kinda describes me, I guess.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I design "themes" for Honda Gold Wings. Yes, I ride; no, that's not an advert.
Happy Gardening,
Wingdesigner

NewjerseyTea

Very interesting stories behind the names. I'm afraid mine is a little boring and obvious. I like to garden with native plants as much as possible, to help restore, in a small way, the natural balance and feed the critters.
New Jersey Tea is Ceanothus americanus, a lovely small native shrub that was used as a tea substitute. I also am from NJ.

Lorax, you forgot to explain where your name came from.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

And here I thought I was so clever picking that user name!

https://commonsblog.org/archives/000498.php

Here's the text of the book in its entirety-
https://www.downtowntrees.com/lorax.htm

excerpt-
UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not.
Many years ago I received a gift of a rock that had the word UNLESS engraved onto it. Although the friend who gave me the rock has passed, I will never forget her and to this day the rock is out there for me to remind myself that I need to do my best.

imagardener2

Bet you can't guess how/why I picked mine! :lol:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Pretty risky here but I'll bite... could it possibly be that you're a gardener just like me and everyone else here? Could that be how you came to select your user name? Fess up if I nailed it ;0

imagardener2

You guessed!?! [img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/Thud.gif[/img]

So much for being mysterious... [img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/hmm.gif[/img]

otnorot

Just turn mine around.
Bill

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Paleontology is a hobby of mine both as an extracurricular subject and as an academic subject and opabinia is an extinct marine invertebrate from the Cambrian Explosion 543 million years ago.

It is part of one of the many phyla that went extinct after the Cambrian period. It's really cool, it had 3 eyes, a tubular shaped body with spicules protruding from it.

sososleepy
Newly Registered

Stretch... Yawn. Too much to do, not enough time to sleep (yawn), it just worked.

Shaggy

I'm just a hairy old guy...

imagardener2

Shaggy wrote:I'm just a hairy old guy...
_______________[img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/laugh4.gif[/img]

desertdenial
Newly Registered

Hi I am brand new and I picked mine because I live in the desert but I am in constant denial about it and try and grow plants that are not supposed to grow in the desert!!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Big welcome to you. I grow lots of plants that aren't supposed to grow by me... all inside my home though so that's big time cheating!

Grey
Greener Thumb

opabinia51 wrote:Paleontology is a hobby of mine both as an extracurricular subject and as an academic subject and opabinia is an extinct marine invertebrate from the Cambrian Explosion 543 million years ago.

It is part of one of the many phyla that went extinct after the Cambrian period. It's really cool, it had 3 eyes, a tubular shaped body with spicules protruding from it.
And here I thought you'd named yourself after your grandpa or something. "Opa" is a familiar term for "Grandpa" in German... so that's where I got the idea.

"Grey" has been my nickname for years.

imagardener2

Grey wrote:"Opa" is a familiar term for "Grandpa" in German... so that's where I got the idea.
I was suppose to be 'Oma', but my 1st grandchildren (twins) somehow made it into 'Noma' and that's what I've happily been ever since.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Awww, well "Noma" is very endearing, and special!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, a lot of people call me Opa as a shortened version of my pseudonym which sometimes scares me because I am definately not old enough to be someones grandfather! :)

Opabinia is an extinct marine invertebrate from 543 million years ago during what is collectively known as the Cambrian Explosion. Good thing there wasn't an Omabinia or things could get really confusing!! :P

I'd often wondered what nationality it was that used opa and oma. Thanks for the info!

My friend refers to her grandfather as her "Bumpa" which I think is Swiss.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I think I have called you Opa from time to time on here... oops. :oops:

Reptilicus
Cool Member

I had a friend that owned an iguana named Reptilicus from the movie. I thought it was pretty cool sounding so I borrowed it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Neat, I figured that you raised snakes like a friend of mine.

Hey Grey, no problem; I shorten peoples pseudonyms all the time. Just remember that my age is well below that of a grandfather. Heck, I don't even have any kids. I am an uncle though :wink:

Reptilicus
Cool Member

opabinia51 wrote:Neat, I figured that you raised snakes like a friend of mine.

Hey Grey, no problem; I shorten peoples pseudonyms all the time. Just remember that my age is well below that of a grandfather. Heck, I don't even have any kids. I am an uncle though :wink:
No I'm definitely not a snake lover. I in fact have cats. I want to get a dog one day. My wifey is a cat maniac and doesn't care for dogs too much....so it's an uphill push to get a dog.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

When I was young, we had a black lab that would sleep with the cats on the back deck... until she knew we were watching her, then she would chase the cats away.

Completely different story with a springer spaniel.

beachbum757

Well mine is obvious but special to me. 757 is our area code. I love the beach and often travel 3 hours to get there then 3 hours back. I live 30 minutes from Virginia Beach but am not able to do the extensive walking required to go there, so we travel to the outer banks of NC. We drive right onto the beach, unload our lawn chairs and sit and enjoy the day. I did not have 4 wheel drive but met someone special who does, so they gave me back the beach after many years of not being able to go. Nothing better on earth! :D

mistygardener

Well I guess I wasn't very creative with mine. :oops: Mine is part of another name I use elsewhere, so it was easy! LOL

webmaster
Site Admin

It's a lot more creative than mine. :P

native

I'm just a Native American. this is a interesting read. Never been asked this question on my other forum.[ not gardening]

mistygardener

I thought it was neat as well to learn how people came by their names. :D

imagardener2

Native, are you Lakota, Hopi, Navajo, Cherokee, Iroquois, ....?

native

comanche and apache

imagardener2

native wrote:comanche and apache
Plains or Western Apache?

My paternal grandmother was of Native American descent, but I can't find from which tribe. I was told she had headrights which I understand points toward the Osage tribe.

Sadly that's all I know about that part of my heritage.

native

Both, none of my grandparents were registered so no record of us.we can not get anything. it would have been nice to get some help for my kids college. Now my cousins can get their cards in canada because their mom is mohawk and her. we have tried to track our family history but can not find anything.
Yes it is sad that we can not find much either. I do have a great last name and would not take my husbands last. He does understand though, he rather have mine. :lol:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”