catgrass
Green Thumb

Re: What are you harvesting -Fall 2014

Picked a few cherry tomatoes off the plant in the greenhouse. Cut another broccoli head-gonna cut a BIG cabbage this evening!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Purple Top Turnip roots. Planted a good size area at the farm/hunting land. Deer have been enjoying the leaves but several had some good size roots, so I gathered a few for boiling.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Sungold and Black cherry tomatoes.
Same here, also my first Talavera Native came ripe today. :-()

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote: I just hope I can keep them over the winter in good shape. Any tips would be awesome. :D
best would be 40F, dark, and not drying out yet not totally sealed. close as I can get is a big plastic tub in the basement, rhizome with (what starts out as) slightly moist soil covering them and a lid either loosely covering or with a few holes drilled in.

imafan26
Mod

Red romaine thinnings to add to my salad for dinner and Satsuma mandarins.

imafan26
Mod

Used some rosemary today for baked chicken for Christmas potluck today.

imafan26
Mod

Picked 11 Brown turkey figs, someone at the garden gave me a hyotan (upo) squash, and I dug up the turmeric about 40 lbs worth to be given away. I will keep a few pieces to put back in the ground after the bed is amended.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Pictures?

Pictures?

Pictures?

:wink: Steve

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Just thought I'd mention what I got today from the herb pots (market tomorrow). Needless to say, the plants are slow now, and some weeks don't bother. We had some cold a couple weeks ago, but since stayed decent. The marjoram is in smaller pots and pulled it in closer when it got chilly. Last year didn't and lost some.
A couple of bunches each of parsley, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, sage, plus bay as tree-let in my kitchen. Monday I'll get some mint and parsley for a (non) restaurant (a couple of people who cook veggie for take out)

catgrass
Green Thumb

Picked the first big cabbage yesterday. Gonna make cabbage rolls! Still have bok choy and tomatoes in the greenhouse.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

harvesting nothing from my garden but some herbs these days. But I made an orange vegetable soup with garden herbs, canned beans, and spinach from my garden that I had frozen. Thawing it and using it in the soup worked pretty well. I liked it better than commercial frozen spinach.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Hey!!?

Okay, well I had Rattlesnake Bean Soup yesterday! Rattlesnake beans are usually grown for green beans, at least the Cascade Giant variety that I grow are. The pods are really hard to shell compared to more common, dry beans. But, they are sooo worth the bother when you've got that soup in front of you :D !

Went out and dug some carrots out from under the pile of pine needles. They are very bright BRIGHT orange at this time of year! The red onions in the basement are holding up real well so a half of one of those went in.

... I had to saute' the veggies (along with the store-bought celery ;)) separately because I missed the chance to get them in the beans at the right moment, during their long cooking in the home-made broth ...!

So, tasty.

:) Steve

KiwiGardener

I have just been outside and picked my first raspberries for breakfast. :D

imafan26
Mod

Watercress.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Picked 6 ripe tomatoes today, and 4 large starfruit, and 2 heads of buttercrunch lettuce will be harvested tomorrow, as well as a small stalked Pok choy.

applestar
Mod

Wow, mine is on a much smaller ...tiny really... scale :wink:

I took a slice of boring leftover cheese pizza out of the fridge. I embellished it with sliced up leftover meatball. I had some Greek olive mix from the olive bar so I scattered bits from an olive.

("Ooooh," a little girl voice in my head said. "Fresh basil would be so good on that!")

Well, OK -- so I go in the Family Room, reach behind the sofa and snip a sprig off the Lettuceleaf basil still growing on the sofa table. :D

("Oooh," my little girl voice continued. "Remember that pizza we had one summer with arugula on it? That one was grilled chicken, but arugula might be good on this pizza.")

Well, fine -- so I go in the garage and snip a nice arugula leaf from the V8 nursery winter greens garden. 8)

Yes, a little dried oregano from the summer harvest too, and the boring pizza was turned extraordinary. :()

imafan26
Mod

Isn't it great when you think that you don't have anything to eat then realize the bounty that is hidden away all over the yard or in Applestar's case all over the house.

KiwiGardener

I was excited to see I have two courgettes almost ready for picking.
The weather is warm and I have given them an extra drink, -- :) maybe they will be big enough to pick for a stir fry tonight?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”