imafan26
Mod

Baby, its cold outside

Well, I think winter has finally arrived. At least for Hawaii. It was chilly last nite. When I got up it was 60 degrees. Nothing by most of your standards, but 2 blanket weather for me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you are right, for most of us 60 degrees does not qualify as "cold" ! Thurs night it is predicted to go down to 24 degrees here! That is cold! And it isn't even winter yet. We regularly get some temps in negative numbers every winter.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

imafan, Is that your winter low?

Richard

imafan26
Mod

No, it is just the beginning. There is a cold front passing this week, so the night temperature dipped from the usual 70 to the sixties. It will get down to the low 50's in late December. It got down to 49 degrees last year. El Nino will probably keep the winter relatively warm and dry. But, surf is on time. Swells are supposed to go up 20-30 feet tonight and tomorrow on the North Shore. It can get higher in some places. P.S. I am not a good swimmer, but it is awesome just to watch the surf higher than the Haleiwa bridge from the road.

valley
Greener Thumb

imafan, Is that your winter low?

Richard

imafan26
Mod

Winter low is about 51 where I live. There is no snow on Oahu, only on the newer Islands of Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii. There was some snow fall on Oct 14, 2014 on Mauna Kea. There is usually some snow on Mauna Kea in January. Haleakala on Maui will sometimes get snow. Some people do go skiing and snowboarding there. Mauna Kea's summit is known more for a number of telescope observatories built by several countries because it is one of the best places to observe the night sky.

valley
Greener Thumb

It's been years since I've been there, but I remember going into the water, there was no need to tip toe in as on most of the west coast of the mainland, the ocean seemed so warm.

Richard

pow wow

It's -17 C here in my city this morning. I think that's about 1.5 F in the USA?

catgrass
Green Thumb

Last nite got into the low 30's-right at freezing-will be about the same tonight and then again next Tues & Wed. Early for us (I'm in zone 9). I remember turning on the a/c some years for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I hate winter-just hate it. Everything hurts and I never warm up. My greenhouse is not set up yet, so I'm covering what needs to be covered and letting the rest go.

imafan26
Mod

I have been to Florida and Seattle and Las Vegas in December. When I visited there were dustings of snow and overnight freezes.

It was when I learned the true meaning of long day vs short days. (I visited Seattle in June when the sun set at 11 pm and rose at 4 a.m.)

That grass was still green when it was frozen. It turns black after it thaws

Black ice

You need a bic lighter to heat your car key to melt the ice in the lock

Frost on the windshield and windshield wipers sound like I am scraping my freezer

There really is a lot of black and white outside and not much green

People can grow douglas fir (Christmas trees) as a hedge

You can actually leave a pine wreath outside on the door and it doesn't turn brown or smell moldy. It is just like leaving it in the refrigerator.

You really are blind in fog. Drivers can't see the cars in front of them and boats can't see bridges.

Hail looks like dirty ice and sounds like someone is throwing gravel against the house

I definitely don't like cooked air

Static electricity

Nosebleeds because of dry air

Phoenix doesn't have street drains because it rains so rarely, but when it does it is bound to flood. P.S. Nobody goes out in the middle of the day if they can help it and construction workers work at night. Very little is open before 11 a.m. and most people go out after 5 p.m. Phoenix has really good Mexican food.

Your roads are much wider but have way more cracks. Ours are narrow and full of pot holes but not much cracking unless the tree roots have got under it.

I did not realize how big and noisy crows were

I saw my first squirrel and cayote (in the distance)

Fireplaces are actually used. Only people living in Wahiawa have fireplaces that are worth using. For the rest of us, fireplaces are a novelty and only useful to hang Christmas stocking on. Never to actually light up. If you want to get warmer outside, then crank up the hibachi.

Most houses on the mainland actually have attics and basements

The eaves on Northern houses hardly exist at all. Houses here have wide eaves to help keep the rain out of the windows and give more shade.

Mainland houses have small windows that are rarely open and fewer windows.

Apples, peaches, apricots, pears, and nectarines taste soooo much better there than here. The ones we get are imported since we don't have enough winter chill to grow our own. The low chill apples, pears and peaches don't taste very good.

imafan26
Mod

It is raining here but still warm. Tomorrow the nightly low is expected to dip into the low 60's. I looked at the NOAA satelite map and it looks like most of you are headed for some really cold weather. Take care everyone and stay safe and warm and have a great Thanksgiving holiday.

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi imafan, I've been in Hawaii, just once. I represented the Cosmetic Division in the I.L.W.U convention. I took with me one soft bag, no big luggage. They had a Lemo at the airport to take us to a hotel, but I put out my thumb for a ride. There was a Harley Shop on the main road, they were friendly invited me dinner.
There was a just built hotel across form the Ilikie, not sure how to spell it, they gave me a room for $7,50, can you believe it. I went to the beach, they told me at the airport "Keep out of the sun" I told them: "I'm from California we have plenty of sun. [I got such a burn that day.] I spread my towel and lie down, it started to rain, I got up folded my towel, It stopped raining, I sprad my towel and lie down, it began raining, I folded my towel, it stopped raining. I spread my towel lie down, It started raining, I stood up, then I noticed, no one else on the beach had moved. I walked into the water no tip toeing, the water was warmish.

This was in the 70ies, I had adventures in your warm state.

I gota get dressed, daughter's looking for lumber to build a boardwalk in the cow pen, the lower part has turned to a Quagmire.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

never been to Hawaii, but it sure sounds nice. We've had temps in the single digits already here.

imafan26
Mod

If your at the beach a little sprinkle is normal, nobody gets up unless its enough to make your hair drip, besides you go to the beach to get wet anyway. Waikiki and Kaimuki are probably the driest spots on the island, if it rains there it is raining everywhere or it is just a passing shower.

The hotel across from the Ilikai, might have been the Big Surf hotel, it is very reasonable and close enough to the beach, they don't have a lot of amenities but I think it is where people who do a lot of travelling stay overnight for layovers.

The sun here is a lot closer to the equator, so sunscreen with the highest SPF you can get is best. You have to be careful not to fall asleep on the beach, it happens a lot. You end up with white lines where you wore your sunglasses. Spots on your face from where the sun poked through your hat, slipper lines on your feet, and if your hair is sparse on top and you don't wear a hat, a sunburned scalp.

We can always tell when someone has lived on the mainland awhile and either moved here or returned home. If they have a convertible they drive with the top down because it is sunny most of the time. Most people here would buy a truck but not a convertible, we actually need a roof to keep from getting burned.

December and January is Big Surf and when the surfing competitions are held. The dates are dependent on surf conditions they have to be high and clean enough. On those days, traffic slows to a crawl especially since Kam Hwy is one lane in either direction.

I have lived here all of my life and was never a good swimmer. I only went in the water when there were no waves. Now, that I have a bad rotator cuff, I don't even do that anymore. I used to go to my favorite park once a month. It is a state Park on the North Shore called Kaiaka park. It was mostly locals and the same people who went there all of the time. Losts of parking, open space for touch football and circular parking lot so I could ride my bicycle (I'm too scared to ride on the road). There is even camping space, near the shopping center, so we could get a plate lunch instead of packing the grill, tools, marinating meat, plates, etc. All we brought was a small cooler for drinks and snacks, my favorite book, chairs and a tarp for day camping. The park has only a small keyhole with a sandy bottom, the rest is rocky, but a good spot for fishing, although the fish weren't great for eating. Best of all the bathroom actually had doors on the stalls and toilet seats. There was a sink to wash the sand out of the suit and usually someone would bring soap and an old shower curtain for the shower. Sometimes someone would plug in a radio and even a rice cooker. Except for the pokies from the ironwood, it is the perfect spot to relax. I think everyone here has their favorite beach and we do have a lot to choose from. Some beaches are cleaner than others. Magic Island is man made so lots of sand and relatively shallow, but so many people, the restrooms are horrible and it is better if you bring your own soap and toilet paper. Parking is bad and there are just too many people there. You do need to be aware of beach conditions here some beaches are good for different activities but also have their dangers. There is a saying that anytime you enter the water, you are entering the food chain, so you need to know the risks.

The ocean moderates our temperature. The water can be cold but not freezing and sometimes it is very warm. Best of all it is available all year round.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:never been to Hawaii, but it sure sounds nice. We've had temps in the single digits already here.
Does this mean you will be taking digitS' with you when you go to Hawaii, RainbowGardener??!

I'd probably mold ... right now I'm waiting for my order of Aveeno for the bath. Why didn't I think to order that when I first read Imafan's post on nose-bleed dry weather?

Actually, we are supposed to have some rain ... and, warming. There is no chance to see any 60's, however. A little moisture will be nice.

More snow above 4,000 feet, Imafan. Looks like the skiers have only a few more days to wait! Oh and hey, didn't you notice that those Christmas fir trees growing everywhere were evergreen?

Steve ;)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never been to Hawaii, but it sure sounds nice! We have had temps in single digits already, here.

valley
Greener Thumb

When I was there for the Longshorman's union. Dole was closing it's operation at Lunata Bay {not sure the spelling} there was severance to be arranged. I was able to look around and at times shown around. We were in the bush, don't know what else to call it, drinking homemade. Each person was saying what could be found or done on the islands, I had a mouth full of homemade when Abba said " And the cockroaches are big as cats." I spit and choked showering all.

Not a bad time. Made happy!

valley
Greener Thumb

Scratch the name of the Dole location, I'll have to look it up, it's been years.

valley
Greener Thumb

Manele Bay, it's on Lana'I. I moved up in the mountains in 72, so the 60ies was the closing of Dole's operations. I guess they still grow pineapple there, imafan would know better, but the cheaper fruit is now brought to the mainland from South America. Too bad, the Hawaiian is much better.

We're getting older.

imafan26
Mod

Most of the sugar and pIneapple plantations have closed on Oahu and the other islands. Pineapple is still grown on Maui and Lanai for the fresh market, but is no longer being canned here. Our pineapple does taste better than the Mexican, Philippine, African, and South American varieties. Dole plantation in Wahiawa maintains a small demo plot of pineapple varieties from around the globe. It was once part of the experimental plot, now it is mostly for tourists. They also have a train on a short loop. in Ewa Beach the Train society runs a restored plantation train on a longer daily train ride. It is a hundred year old locomotive so there there is no air conditioning on it, it runs on restored parts of the original track that was used to haul sugar cane.

Monsanto and Pioneer bought most of the larger tracts of land that belonged to the plantations. People did not want the land rezoned but although farmers need more land, most of them cannot afford to buy a lot of it, so large portions of the fields now have sugar growing as a weed. Monsanto and Pioneer grow winter seed corn. Monsanto actually is back breeding and growing the parent of the hybrid corn and part of the agreement with Campbell estate that owned the land was that they would allow the DelMonte workers living in Kunia to stay there. Most are retirees, until they decide to move out (unlikely, since they cannot get better rent) or the workers die.

The nights are definitely cooler and it is getting windier. It is getting down to the mid to low sixties at night, but not every night, it depends on which way the wind is coming from. Occasionally Mauna Kea gets a light dusting of snow.
In contrast, the lava flow for the meantime looks like it is not advancing on Puna or Kaohe subdivisions and but is still active just heading in a different direction. So a little fire and ice going on the Big Island.

valley
Greener Thumb

Your posts are very good reading, you write them so well, giving details that would be hard to get without being right there. When there, I very much enjoyed the land, the food and the people I met. You mentioned the better taste, we ate ourselfs full, with one guy swinging a large blade while holding the pineapple in his other hand. We sat in a circle telling stories, most of them true and some of them a bit sad. I have a life long friend there, we are not always in contact, who lives off grid, and now sells and ships flowers, he sent some, laced with Peace lilies, when our daughter was born. Seems like yesterday but it's been years.
Thankyou for your informative and warm discriptions, you speak/write so clearly it's as if I were seeing it first hand. God love you.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

There have been a few days recently that I knew it was cold - teenage boys had their pants pulled up to their waist. :shock:

imafan26
Mod

People are starting to wear their jackets now. For Hawaii, that is winter clothing. And I have been tempted to put some sox on when I go to sleep since the floor is cold in the middle of the night.

Today was very windy, my had was blown off a couple of times while I was out weeding. The only good thing about it is that usually I am soaked with sweat by the end of the day. Now, I am staying pretty dry except for my feet since my boots are not vented.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are having a brief warm up of milder weather. Today is interesting because it goes up to 50 degrees and then the low tonight is 47 - only three degrees difference between high and low, which is unusual for us. By Monday, snow and cold return...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

About like our weather, RainbowGardener!

Thanksgiving Day, the 55° tied a record for warmest! Yesterday, there were wind gusts to 46mph!! It is now freezing and will go lower. In fact, the thermometer isn't suppose to rise above freezing for any day in the Weather Service graphics ...

Just as well. Snow needs to stay in our mountains - counting on it for next summer!

Steve :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ah, Shoot!

I let the pickup doors freeze shut again without gettin' the sillykon spray on 'em!

The morning low of 28° with an afternoon high of 32° doesn't look all that promising ... well, I have that spray and a rag sitting by the backdoor to remind me.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

try making a mixture of 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water, put it in spray bottle and spray all around the door seal, getting it the crack if you can. Works for me!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Wonderful how differently we all interpret "cold". For so many of you cold is REALLY cold as in ice and snow. For Imafan and those of us in the deep south cold means wearing jeans instead of shorts, closed toe shoes or cowboy boots instead of sandals and flip flops and wearing a lite weight jacket or sweater and socks.

My brother and SIL recently moved from Denver to Florida. SIL has always lived in a cold climate. Her entire winter wardrobe is geared to extreme cold. All of her boots are fleece lined. Not at all suitable for southern winters. I took her shopping yesterday and she purchased a stunning pair of cowboy boots. She will be able to wear them year round.

The downside of the shopping trip is that the sales associate asked if she was my DAUGHTER! :shock: After a moment of thought I realized that she is young enough to be my daughter. OMG! My brother is 10 years older than she is and she is younger than my youngest sibling. I told the associate that she was my sister by another mister. :wink: Getting old sucks.

Anyway - I sincerely hope we do not have a winter like we had last year - 2 or was it 3 ice storms in south Louisiana - unheard of!

Stay warm. Hope you all had a warm and wonderful ThanksGiving.

valley
Greener Thumb

Good morning You Grace. Just read your post. You wrote "Getting old sucks." It's much better than the alternative. Plus you and I may have been born in the same decade.

rainbow, That vinegar and water~ is that to use before the door freezes shut?

Richard

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It didn't warm to 32° but the few hours of the afternoon were marked by blue sky and sunshine. Enuf so that the pickup thawed and I got the spray rubbed into the rubber.

I didn't know about the vinegar spray. Imagine that it melts but doesn't stay around long.

A record 55° on the afternoon of the 27th and forecast for the morning of the 30th, single ..

. digitS'
:) having just covered the beds of Asian greens growing on the floor of the unheated greenhouse :)

applestar
Mod

I don't comment much in this thread except to to post my own weather conditions, but I was catching up on reading after the marathon Thanksgiving prep and celebrations since the beginning of the week! Looks like I missed a lot and I really enjoyed everyone's posts :D

It was 20°F outside when I woke up yesterday morning to cook two dishes to take to my brother's house -- this morning it's only 43°F and, honestly, my reaction on seeing that was "Oh it's warm today!" :lol:

I hope everyone had wonderful Thanksgiving get togethers. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

valley wrote:Good morning You Grace. Just read your post. You wrote "Getting old sucks." It's much better than the alternative. Plus you and I may have been born in the same decade.

rainbow, That vinegar and water~ is that to use before the door freezes shut?

Richard
No, after, as an ice melter.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:It was 20°F outside when I woke up yesterday morning to cook two dishes to take to my brother's house -- this morning it's only 43°F and, honestly, my reaction on seeing that was "Oh it's warm today!"
yep - any morning I get up and it's above freezing is 'warm' this time of year. warm all week this week, it looks: highs in the 50's and 60's, lows in the 40's. had some real cold recently, it's nice to not have to bring in the more tender plants for a bit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are 10 degrees colder than you right now - highs in the 40's (now that the little warm up is over), lows around freezing +/- a couple degrees. But all my tender plants came in a long time ago. We had temps in the single digits for awhile. Anything not appropriate to my zone would be dead!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

For those very few days when the car ices over I keep rubbing alcohol on hand. It has a much lower freezing point than water. The same with RBG's water/vinegar mixture. Keep a spray bottle full. Both work great.

Stay warm. Speaking of warm I am outside in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Really miss my tree - too much glare.

valley
Greener Thumb

It rained for days, this morning it was snowing pretty good, now it's warmer snow. Different every year some years we it's there is several feet of snow by Holloween other years, nothing until around Christmas.

Yesterday we went down to the Nevada place, the girls went to work at a neighbor's ranch while we, wifey, myself and another neighbor, burned tumbles that had blown against the barns. We stood around the fire until after dark, when the girls came home we drowned the fire and went inside, during dinner, our neighbor confessed how he missed us. We'll see him again in a few days.

Richard

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Winter has gone away. In the morning I turn the fireplace on (LPG) to get the chill out of the house. During the day the windows are open. In the late afternoon some days open windows are fine on other days the A/C gets put on. In the evening it is either open windows or the fireplace. The fireplace heats all of the living area of the house. I like to sleep "cold" so the central heat is rarely turned on.

Really crazy. Fireplace, open windows and sometimes A/C all in the same day.

With my lovely southern live oak gone the back side of the house is both warmer and colder. I have some serious adjustments to make regarding my patio plants.

Thanksgiving is over. Hope you all had a very blessed day. I spent my Thanksgiving with family in the woods. We rented 2 lodges at Chicot State Park Sunday through Wednesday. Thursday we went to dinner at a local restaurant then retired to my Sister's home for coffee, desert and fellowship.

Looking forward to Christmas.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Usually, we are somewhat isolated from the rest of the US. If weather is shared across the Rockies, it comes from here first.

In general, that doesn't seem to be happening right now. Along with much of the US, the temperatures have been unseasonably warm the last several weeks. There were a couple of December afternoons above 50°f. Several nights, there was no frost. That is all changing and we, along with many US locations, are moving on to more normal winter weather.

We've had wind gusts above 30mph today. The wind has died away some but the air is a cold 14°, wind chill is below zero. Tomorrow, this 14° may be the afternoon high temperature following a morning low in the single ..

. digitS'
wishing, along with the plants, that there was more snow cover!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”