applestar
Mod

What are you harvesting -Fall 2014

Time for a new thread! :D

I realize some of us had frost already and growing season is over, but maybe you are processing your harvest?

Here are a couple of harvest photos two or three days apart 8)
image.jpg
One one two Figs every couple of days, as well as one or two apples, several raspberries, a persimmon today.... Can't decide if I want to pull all the carrots and beets or try to leave them in the ground until light frost, which is supposed to make them sweeter, but I'm finding wireworm damaged ones so it's a toss up.

Squirrels started raiding the sunflower seedheads. :evil:
I guess I won't bother saving any except what I want to keep as seedstock for growing.

Found one little barely pollinated corn wrapped up under bean vines :roll:

Meatburner

We picked our first nice batch of fall bush beans yesterday that I gave to the neighbor. Her husband is a truck driver and was going to be home so she appreciated some fresh beans to fix for him. We share with them all the time which makes to sooooo much fun.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Me too! Bush beans sown July 15th. Fortunately, those are in the garden which did not get hit by frost. I began pulling an earlier planting in the other garden. The plants were so damaged that there won't be any comeback no matter what the weather does, or doesn't.

The weather ... it was 89°f, yesterday! See what you folks are missing at lower elevations and higher humidity? One week frost, the next week heat ..! Big sky now but there was some haze for a few dayz allowing the warm up.

Heat is giving us a chance to harvest some ripe peppers. And, beans and more beans ...

Storage vegetables are coming out but my plan is not to be storing them yet. Oh, the early potatoes have been in the basement for weeks but I mean things like winter squash and celery root.

Yeah, celeriac! I get a chance to get down there and check those potatoes and start making use of them. What a combination! Starchy celeriac in the bestest mashed potatoes!

No need to wait for frost to start enjoying the winter squash. La Madera must be a landrace with all of its many sizes and colors. One thing, it sure seems to be maturing early. I bet it would have had all the nice flavors way back in August. It has been a good year for squash and I've been enjoying the baked Buttercups for just about all of that time. Microwaved, I hasten to say, 89° is too hot to turn on the oven.

Out into the cool morning air. There's a hill of beans with my name on it ...

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I get 2-5 Brown Turkey figs a week, corn should be ready soon, I am waiting for the silks to turn brown. Calamondin, meyer lemons, tomatoes, and herbs : Mexican oregano, cutting celery, rosemary, green onions, ginger, turmeric, shiso, pineapple sage, lemon, cinnamon, and Thai basil, and chili peppers when I need them. Eggplant are ready to pick too.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I didn't plant fall string beans, because I had planted Asparagus beans in mid-August, which the cat totally destroyed. So I planted again, and they didn't come up. So, now, I have sugar snaps planted, and they are coming up. I'm picking bell peppers again, and jalapenoes. The radish are up, the carrots are coming up, as is the lettuce.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Carrots, onions, potatoes, cucumbers. Everything else is done. It has been a good year and the fall weather has been quite good. We have only had one frost so far which is very unusual for this country. Normally after the first week of September we have frost every night. I am wishing I had planted some spinach in August. Could have a harvest now?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Headed out tomorrow on a trip to Chapel Hill to visit my son and his family. He gardens small scale and they really enjoy the fresh produce, herbs and fruits. Beyond that, he is quite the self taught (or taught as he does it) master chef. He can take anything and whip up a delicious meal.

So, anytime I visit I take along whatever is in the garden so he can do his thing, and I can help as well. This trip I have fresh green beans (first picking off the new planting), okra, egg plant, tomatoes, and all kinds of peppers. Sorry no picture but I have it packed in the cooler.

Here are pics of his garden, some summer crops still going and fall entries

I am proud of him and his two helpers--Carter 6 and Ben 4.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I planted late yellow beans and they are producing nice with a half bushel this week. I have been giving them to everyone.! Each plant has 3 or 4 dozen beans. I have another dozen with flowers on now.! I also have some nice swiss chard!

imafan26
Mod

The chayote is producing now. The vine slows growth in summer and starts growing and fruiting in cooler weather. The fruit and shoots are edible. Calamondin, lemons and figs.

applestar
Mod

I wasn't expecting to pick these four figs for another 2-3 days but they were split this morning after last nights 1+ inch rain. I'm wrapping them in paper towel to ripen like I do with the others.

Another persimmon and two small Donkey Ears peppers I had to harvest because the plant is wilting. We LOVED that last persimmon after letting it ripen wrapped in paper towel for a couple of days on the table. So we're looking forward to this one. And there's another one on the tree that will be ready to pick in a day or two, then a few more green ones. 8)
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

We had that persimmon yesterday, and wrapped another one to enjoy in a couple more days.

This is a Prok -- an Asian-American hybrid... But I saved and planted the seeds. When we went for a bicycle ride, we came across a group of wild (?) persimmon trees that were dropping fruits on the bike path. They are growing by the community reservoir pond and considering the nature of the runoff draining into it, I'm not about to taste any, but I collected some of the fruits, and I'm going to extract the seeds to try growing them too. Those fruits are typically completely gone later in the fall so hopefully they will be worth it. In any case, some of the seedling trees will go in my wildlife border hedgerow. Maybe they will be able to cross pollinate with Prok and improve production.

Today, I wanted to make a chicken stir fry with greens so went around with a harvesting basket and gathered some. Some treats for the kids were ready to pick as well 8)
image.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Spring greens!

I don't think I said anything about what came from sowing seed after the early potatoes were harvested in early August. I usually sow bok choy after those potatoes. I had Mei Qing Choi seed. There was a little Guy Lon seed. Some people spell it "Kailaan" but I have known both a guy named Guy and a guy named Lon. Growing things in garden can be about welcoming friends back, year after year :). We began using these greens in stir-fries beginning with the thinning about a month ago. Direct seeded bok choy and guy lon are finished but there is still those that I transplanted where there was more room. Transplanting delays them but allows the plants to grow larger.

I wanted to tell you about my first experience with Tyfon Holland greens. I have mustard greens every year but these are different - mild! I moved some and they nearly died from transplant shock! In fact, I thought they had died ... They came back in a big way - bigger than the direct-seeded Tyfon Holland :).

It's probably not a good idea to transplant this vegetable. Before being moved, they took quite a lot of summer heat as did the others. Older plants would have bolted to seed but the young plants did a lot of growing. They have gone through one frost and it should be a cool week. I'm curious if they will be okay after some hard freezing but they have done well with a frost and into the first week of fall.

Steve :)

applestar
Mod

Best kind of mess :()
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
We removed the popcorn from the cobs and tried them -- the kernels are small but they pop nicely into startlingly white popcorn, even though they are all shades of blue and yellow and red. We are also starting to grind the flint and dent corn into cornmeal. 8)

Someone gave me a generous amount of Glass Gem corn seeds to grow next year. They are said to be good for popping as well as being gorgeous. I can't wait! :-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Still harvesting peppers (I have way more Anaheim chilis than I know what to do with, my first year growing them and they have been very productive), a few tomatoes (plants have lots of green ones, but they aren't ripening up much), lots of swiss chard, various herbs including lavender, which is still blooming.

applestar
Mod

Are you able to harvest the Anaheims red ripe? I was hoping for at I east one mature fruit to save seeds from, but the location I planted them got shaded by the sunflowers and beans and they were very slow to grow.

I thought about digging them up and letting the fruits mature in the garage, but harvested all the green fruits after all. I haven't decided if I want to try to overwinter them yet and they are still in the ground -- harvesting the fruits will help keep them from giving up in the cold a little while longer.

If you have the patience for it, I would roast them, skin them and make pepper pesto or a dip. I haven't made it in a while and don't have the recipe, but it was really good. You can make it verde or with red peppers, but red peppers are sweeter and more flavorful.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Usually I pick them green, but a few of them got missed and I didn't see them until they were red ripe. So yes I have a few red ripe and a bunch of green.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Besides the large numbers of peppers and eggplants still coming from the garden, I am getting a bunch of tomatillos, as well. I had so many green beans this summer that I stopped picking them and left the rest out there to mature into dry beans (something I have rarely done), so there are a lot of those out there. And just before a freeze is eminent, I will dig up my clusters of lemongrass. As for fall veggies, I am only harvesting lettuce, so far, as I had a problem with seedlings. However, very soon I will have bok choy, yu choy, tatsoi, mizuna, komatsuna, senposai, kohlrabi, and a few other things out there, as they are pushing up the cover out there really good!

imafan26
Mod

Bear's limes, meyer lemons, and Satsuma tangerines are falling off the trees. The birds are harvesting my tomatoes for me. I have only gotten a few. I see the green ones, but they are gone before I see them color up.

I dug up some horseradish, it was a lot of work.

I dug up the arrowroot because it was time to renew it. It is too much work to process it so I buy mine in a bottle.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I've cut some bok choi (love that stuff), still got bell peppers going, cherry tomatoes still going and yesterday I saw I have 3-4 eggplant coming in. Getting some cooler temps this weekend-nighttime lows will be in low 50's for a few days. yuk-I hate winter.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

More Brussels sprouts ...

Another attempt to find some way to like them begins today.

I think I'll start with a nifty rhubarb and tomato ketchup recipe, tho :D . Move on from there ...

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I keep forgetting to mention, along with all the above, I have ONE bunch of celery that keeps producing and producing long after all the others bit the dust. And I just harvested one butternut squash, that is my whole squash crop!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am harvesting water melons. Lots of big long green striped melons. I have been trying to eat a water melon every day but over dosed and had to quit. LOL.

Bell peppers are starting to do better now that the weather is cooled down to 80 deg. Each of the 9 plants have about 50 golf ball size bell peppers. In a few months peppers will be the size of grape fruits just like they were last year.

Tomatoes were looking BAD but are starting to look better. I am going to leave these plants along and plant a few new plants from seeds. I think the new plants will do better and be making nice big tomatoes about January or February.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sigh.... January tomatoes in the garden! :shock: Long about mid to late Jan, my garden is likely to be buried in snow and temps in the negative numbers...

Any of you southern folks looking to hire a garden helper? :?

applestar
Mod

Harvested my Sunchokes today :D
Maybe it's because I didn't get around to harvesting last year, but the tubers are really nice size this year. The ground was somewhat wet and this area is full of clay and earthworm muck. They do clean up nicely. I believe most of mine are white fuseau...
image.jpg
but when I sorted them, I found some that are extra knobby and some that are darker in color.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Great sunchokes, applestar! It must be the two year growth - I tried them once, and really didn't get much at all, so never tried them again.

I harvested my lemongrass today, since it is supposed to freeze soon. I harvested more peppers today, even though I had given up on them the last time it was supposed to get very cold here, I think about 9 days ago. I picked what I could, and just left the rest out there, figuring I had enough already. In just that amount of time, many of them grew much larger, and many have ripened, as well. That Mustard habanero in the earthbox was the most unbelievable, giving me 4 more quarts of full sized peppers, after picking all those last time.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh Heavens! How do you ever "stop" trying sunchokes?

I used to have them at another home. Or at least, the elderly neighbor had them. Or, it may have been her father ... great, nutty flavor.

DW planted some. I warned her! She couldn't come up with much to do with them so, there were less sunchokes this year. But, they showed up on the other side of the fence and the neighbor asked about them. I warned her! I see she didn't try to take them out ..!

We got the rest of the kale this week. It was supposed to be 11ºf this morning but I think it only got down to 15º. Thank Heavens the wind stopped! Garden is to bed. I just hope the ground thaws so that I can get several fence posts in soon.

Steve

bcallaha
Cool Member

I've been cutting our fall broccoli. We have been in the deep freeze the past week, and now we have snow. I still have 25 or so plants to cut the main head!! We've had some fresh broccoli, but mainly freezing it.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Still cutting some bok choy. Cut the first head of broccoli yesterday, but my neighbor kiddies took it home to eat with Ranch dip. Will have some more to cut tomorrow!

imafan26
Mod

I harvested some thinnings of red romaine and won bok. One friend gave me a papaya and another gave me an avocado and the satsuma mandarins are falling off the tree so I am giving away bags of them.

applestar
Mod

I would love to reach a long arm and have one of those bags of satsuma!
...sounds like you have a lovely exchange going on... Enjoy! :D

catgrass
Green Thumb

Broccoli, and bok choy. Got tomatoes on the vine in the greenhouse. My lettuce is beautiful...and bitter. I think I need to change type I plant. Don't know why its so bitter this year.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I thought I might have an easy lettuce answer for you, Catgrass ... until I checked your weather.

New Orleans has only had one day this month with a temperature above 80°f. Mostly, it's been highs in the 60's and one afternoon of only 50°!

I would think that it should be fairly ideal lettuce-growing weather.

Steve
my garden soil is frozen as hard as a rock! I can't even get a shovel in it to bury some compostables. the little greens in my (unheated) greenhouse are growing, however.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Lettuce grows fairly easy here. I have it in pots, because I have bigger things in my actual garden. Maybe too little water at times, I just don't know.

applestar
Mod

Happily, I dug up some of my lettuce, kale, Swiss chard, celery, arugula, and parsley and am growing them in the garage "V8 nursery" where the lowest temp so far has been down to 38°F. I have to situate the lettuce pots carefully because I let our indoor only cats explore the garage, partly to deter and catch the field mice that try to come in for the warmth via unknown entry points... And one of them particularly LOVES lettuce. :x (for this reason, I can grow them in some of the ideal locations in the house...)

Also, first of the "winter" indoor tomatoes are ripening now and I'm harvesting a few every day -- just enough for garnish and fresh snacks. Some of the overwintering hot peppers, too. Also harvesting basils as well as pineapple sage that I dug up and brought inside.

Outside, there are a few more carrots, radishes and Egyptian walking onions I could harvest.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

down to just digging yacon, groundnut, and sunchokes.

applestar - how did your yacon fare this year? I don't think I've seen a mention.

imafan26
Mod

I got a couple of suyo cucumbers and some rosemary and thyme for my stuffing tonight.

applestar
Mod

!potatoes! wrote:down to just digging yacon, groundnut, and sunchokes.

applestar - how did your yacon fare this year? I don't think I've seen a mention.
Hey, thanks !potatoes! -- they did their thing and I had a modest tuber harvest this year, but a lot of the purple nuggets to replant. I'm thinking maybe the area got over-flooded and I need to find a better drained spot. The early sudden dip/freeze we had may have shortened the season, too.

I just hope I can keep them over the winter in good shape. Any tips would be awesome. :D

xtgold
Cool Member

peter peppers I brought indoors before the frost.
I already had them growing in containers.
A hot pepper that looks like a you know what.
Fun for parties.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Greens! I uncovered my greens hoop house, and I harvested the perimeter stalks from my mizuna, senposai, zen hybrid, bok choy, tatsoi, and yu choy - the only one I didn't harvest from was the komatsuna, as that variety just doesn't grow like the old one. For next winter I'll get some of Pinetree Garden's generic komatsuna, as that did best in the cold, though it was not the best one for spring, as it bolted early.

Here is the uncovered greens house, and the 5 photos before are the individual plants. Incredible how those plants grow back after a harvest! I just trimmed them back on 11-12, and some of these, like the tatsoi, look like they hadn't been touched.

imafan26
Mod

Sungold and Black cherry tomatoes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”