navigo
Newly Registered

Bonsai in Bolehland

IMG_0861.jpg
Hi guys. Need help with that indoor bonsai I bought about 2 weeks ago. FYI, I'm in a tropical country and know nearly nothing about any plants, let alone a bonsai (Always wanted one and bought it one day on a whim). The problem is that it's shedding leaves like a cat; Healthy green leaves along with dead ones alike, at a really high rate. I keep it in my office which get pretty warm and stuffy when there isn't any air conditioning. The soil is still pretty damp and I've only watered it once with about 30cc of water. I've misted it a couple of times too but it still sheds so fast and the slightest movement drops leaves. Please lend me your sage advice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm going to bed, so I'm not going to take time to answer. I'm sure some of our knowledgeable bonsai people will be along. But in the meantime, at the very top left above Helpful Gardener, there's a little inconspicuous search box. When I typed bonsai dropping leaves in to that, it came up with 27 matches. It's a very common complaint. I'm sure it would help you get started to read some of what is here already. Welcome to the Forum!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Navigo,
I keep it in my office which get pretty warm and stuffy when there isn't any air conditioning
It sounds like it may be too dry. If the pot has a drainage hole (it should) and the soil feels dry to the touch, go ahead and give it a good soaking. Misting is good but no substitue for proper watering.

indoor air is usually very dry as well as being warm, not good for most plants. Air conditioning also dries the air. Growing bonsai indoors is more difficult than keeping one outside. The first step, to my way of thnking, would be to get it outside in shelterd location and try to stablize it.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Navigo,

My apologies, I missed that you wrote that it was still damp. :oops:

Something is seriously amiss here. If you have owned it for two weeks and have only watered it 30CC (1 US FL OZ) it should be bone dry by now. The plant must not be transpiring much water which would seem to indicate that the roots are not functioning, and may be dead already. Are you sure that a well meaning co-worker has not watered it in your absence?

Norm

navigo
Newly Registered

I was thinking the same thing. It might be the case so we left it near strong sunlight and watered it a bit more regularly (as in daily; same amount but also with misting). Strangely some leaves seem to be growing but not nearly as fast as the leaves are falling.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Maylasia is where I think you are. I'm going to wager you have an indigenous Chinese population that knows more about bonsai in the tropics than anybody in northern Europe, or north America will ever learn.

Where you are makes a difference.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

navigo, The spectulation by Gnome may be the key. You say: you are watering daily now. I would think: a hair less water if leaves are falling from the top of the plant. On the other hand, you're right there, I'm sure you'll play this one by ear or let's say by sight.
That is a great looking bonsai.

Richard

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”