dologarden

CHIVES herbs from Seeds

Hi!! If you take look at the picture attached the chives are falling down. Its really hard to water them as I am scared they are too weak. Any tips or advice?
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
Last edited by dologarden on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dologarden

Thank you so much! I feel safe now. :) Shall I water them often or wait until they grow a bit more?

imafan26
Mod

Chives like regular water so water to keep them evenly moist but not soggy.

dologarden

THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings We have chives {Cebollino}, growing here in the mountains, when the snow leaves, up come the chives.

Richard

dologarden

Cool !!!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Don't worry about your chives drooping after watering. If they are getting enough sun they will quickly stand up.

Herbs in a pot are more prone to over watering than herbs in the ground. Chives need only damp soil. They can handle under watering better than over watering. Over watering will result in root/bulb rot. You have other herbs growing in the same pot - do they all have the same water and sun light requirements?

Good luck

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'm impressed you have that many chives from seed! I have the worst time with regular chives, garlic chives easier. As for watering, I try to water the dirt, not from above if that makes sense. If they are out with rain, a different story!
If that is parsley, will need thinned soon, with pulled leaves used in the kitchen. Suggestion is to thin some, see how they are doing, thin again, and get a balance.

dologarden

Elizabeth - Sounds good! I will see if I find a plate to put it under the pot

Susan - Thank you! I am impressed of myself as well haha. I have tried that already :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”