Madmax3d
Newly Registered

Japanese Maple problems

tmp_5925-20140920_110713_HDR_resized-773429667.jpg
Hey folks. New member here with a black thumb.....or whatever the opposite color to green would be that causes all plants to die in and around our house.

A year ago we had some landscaping done in our backyard. The stipulation being that we wanted it to be low to no maintenance. Our landscaper put in two Japanese maples. They looked beautiful initially. Now they just look sickly. So much for low maintenance.

Can anyone identify what is happening to our trees and possibly recommend a course of action? Thanks in advance.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

First let me say I'm not sure. There are a couple of possible courses my thinking could go.

1., Have you had the yard sprayed with weed & feeds? This could cause the leaf damage your photo shows.

2., Do you have a lawn sprinkler? Water droplets can act as magnifying lenses. This is ugly but not terminal.

And both are more guess than science.

applestar
Mod

I was going to say maybe Japanese beetle damage? But not if you live in California or other areas where they don't live....

Madmax3d
Newly Registered

Thanks for your replies. I live in Toronto Canada. There have been problems in the area with asian long horn beetles, but not sure if this is related.

Also, we don't have a lawn sprinkler and very rarely water the tree, if at all. We did use miracle grow in and around the soil of the tree, though.

I hate the thought of having to destroy the trees. Hopefully, I can reverse the damage somehow.

applestar
Mod

Why would you destroy the trees?
If you are in Toronto, are you already getting frost?
The trees might be deteriorating due to fluctuating fall weather in addition to being chewed up or otherwise physically damaged.

If the landscapers planted them, presumably they are winter hardy there. Here, current season's woes including drought are shrugged off after winter rest/dormancy, and J. maples come back with fresh growth in spring -- minus the winter killed branches, of course.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Please don't be so pessimistic. Spring should remove this years leaf damage.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”