Decado
Green Thumb

How do I tell if Okra is woody?

I've never grown it before and the only other thing I've grown that gets woody is kohlrabi, which is pretty obvious. The okra I just picked (clemson) is like 5-6 inches long but I can still cut into it and it doesn't look woody. I have never bought and prepared okra either so I'm at a total loss here.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's hard to tell without cutting into it.

Early season okra is usually pretty tender as long as it get proper water. The later the season gets, the tougher the okra.... No matter how much water. I tend to pick it real small in the later parts of the season. I keep the pickles for myself in case they are tough. The smaller they are, the more tender they'll be.

If my knife meets any resistance when I cut, that okra pod is trashed. I've been so busy and tired the past few weeks that what little okra I'm getting is worthless... Time to plant some beans!

Decado
Green Thumb

Like how much resistance? I cut into one but my knife is pretty sharp.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, my knife is pretty sharp, too. If it makes a "crunch" sound or stops the knife while using little force, toss it.

imafan26
Mod

Okra should be picked young around three inches. If you wait until they are 8-11 inches they will be very woody.

applestar
Mod

Seeds get too tough to bite into, too.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I find it best to cut it when it gets as long as a finger. Thats a good rule of thumb. :lol:

Grandad

Not all okra need be cut at a short length IME. Cultivars like Cowhorn and Louisiana Long Green can get fairly long and still be tender. However, I did find the finger rule to be true for Clemson Spineless. Nonetheless, you can't go wrong when using the finger rule.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I usually just cut them off when they are about 4" long. They slice easy into 1/2" long pieces like a banana. If they are soft and tender they are flexible like a hot dog. When they get woody they are stiff as a dowel rod.

imafan26
Mod

Kitty. You made a funny. It made me laugh thinking about fingers and thumbs. :-()

"I find it best to cut it when it gets as long as a finger. That's a good rule of thumb. "

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”