Jules0305
Newly Registered

Willow Gentian in a pot

Hi, I have a Willow Gentian growing in a pot, it has beautiful blue trumpet shape flowers on but the stems are all trailing over the pot, should the stems all be upright??

Many Thanks. :eek:

applestar
Mod

I had an idea what kind of plant that is, but wasn't sure so I looked it up, and as luck would have it, the first place I looked had your answer :D
Long lived, the willow gentian forms sturdy roots from which it sends up individual stems. Over time a tight open clump forms with stems reaching about a foot and one half in my garden. The leaves have no stalks and are in pairs from base to tip. Each leaf is about two to three inches long, ovate, with long pointed tips. As the stem extends over the season the weight of the leaves begin to pull it over beginning an arch that is completed as the flowers fill out.

In mid-July buds begin to swell in bunches of two or three along one side of the stem. The numerous flowers open end of July and beginning of August lasting well into September. Flowers are located in the junction between leaf and main stem from about the last third to tip. They are narrow tubes about one and one half to two inches in length, opening to a flare, often with stripes running the length. Inside can be blue spotted purple, the outside a deep delicious blue with the stripes often light blue or white. Flowers are so numerous they pull the stems over, touching ground at the tips. There is also a cultivar Pink Swallow with dusty tan-pink blooms and a white blooming form.
https://www.munchkinnursery.com/newslett ... af-gentian

"Gentian" in the name clued me in that it would be a gorgeous blue and it sounds wonderful. I might have to see if I can get them for my garden, too. 8)

Post pictures of yours if you have the chance. :D

Jules0305
Newly Registered

Many thanks for your reply. That's a shame, it doesn't look very nice trailing on the floor, I might try trimming the stalks down so it stays upright. The colour is so beautiful.

applestar
Mod

Well, you could see if the plant can take a bit more sun in case yours is growing a little lanky or handle a less exposed area that would train the stems to be tougher/more rigid with wind movement.

Also, it may not be possible this year, but maybe for next year, you could put a support ring in the pot. -- At least you'll have a good idea how tall and wide it should be, and whether a single ring will suffice or stacked rings, or if you need concentric inner rings or a wire grid panel for additional support to show the flowers to best advantage. :wink:

Jules0305
Newly Registered

Thank you so much, that's a great idea for next year. This is my first post on this website, I'm so pleased you replied. Many Thanks . :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”