imafan26
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Wow. They make a map for everything. Lightening must be a serious hazard there if you have sirens for them. We only have sirens for tsunamis and hurricanes and the state notoriously waits until the last minute to sound them.

JC's Garden

applestar wrote:the lightning detector siren at the community athletic field 2 blocks away is going off non-stop
I live 3 blocks from the high school football stadium. Siren went off a few minutes ago as we got a morning thunder shower. It's over, sun is out. Sauna time!!! :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had a stormy afternoon, yesterday. There were brief showers and a little lightning and frequent thunder but it was all many feet above ground.

After 3 hours of this, the nearest weather station reported a little more than a third of an inch of rain had fallen. Most pleasantly, the temperature had dropped from 97°f to 65°!

I was running lawn sprinklers throughout and didn't really think about turning things off. A quarter inch of rain this time of year is significant. Luckily, there were not many lightning strikes so our forests, and their residents, may have gotten thru this safely.

Steve :)

grrlgeek

DDMcKenna wrote: DANG! 11% humidity! I don't think I've felt anything less than 95% in 20 years.
Of course, I'm exaggerating. Between 3AM and 5AM, it often drops to as low as 50% but usually, by 9AM, it is often back to 90% or above. That must feel like a completely different kind of hot.
LOL... Have you ever heard the phrase.... "But it's a DRY heat!" ?

It's sickeningly humid here today at 28%! I can barely breathe outside and would melt in your weather! Our usual is around 10% and 105+ but we're getting the monsoon weather now for the next month. Hoping to a get a piece of the thunderstorm I see brewing over the mountain, but it was prophesized for yesterday afternoon too, and all we got were about 6 raindrops. At least it's only 94 degrees today. :eek:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm at Garden City Beach, SC and it's rained for the 3rd day. Hoping for some sunshine. My house sitter reports that it rained yesterday for 3 hours!

pow wow

Going through a heat wave here. Just checked and they list 17 forest fires burning in my province. It's very hazy here in Calgary.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I am in Ohio it is July and when I got up this morning I looked at the house across the street and his furnace was running! It got down in the 50 last night! only got to 69 today and I LOVE IT!

applestar
Mod

56°F at dawn this morning.... :shock:

thesnapman44

Rain, and lots of it !!! We have had storms which have caused severe flooding and power outages. We were unlucky enough to be the victim of that, but all credit to our electric company. Within 3 hours, power was restored.

Kageri

This year has been a slightly cooler version of typical Iowa weather. Rain, cool off, get warmer, rain, cool off, get warmer... We've just had a ton of rain and the storms are bringing cooler temps than usual. Instead of 90F between rain storms we get to maybe 80, often not even that. It's been 50F the past 2 nights and 70-75 during the day. With the late frosts, cool weather, and predicted early frosts I'm not sure how the corn is going to make it to harvest.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Yesterday it was cold here July 19th and we had on jackets today it is back up in the 70's but wow is it humid!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's cool for July. Last night it was low 70's. Very unusual for July 19th! Today was high 70's. Rain both days. Ripening tomatoes are splitting... :/

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Well, it rained today here in the high desert almost 7/10s of and inch. It was cool when we got back from Tahoe, I had to build a fire. Or, I wanted to build a fire.

Richard

DDMcKenna

I always chuckle when I see this thread pop up over and over.
It's funny because I would never have to change what I said about the weather here.
Basically, HOT, humid as hell, and a good chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.
That should cover it until December :)

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Well, its been really hot during the day in the mid 80's and humid. Yesterday we had a whopper of a T Storm and a town near Boston even had a tornado strike! I'm looking outside and the dark clouds are forming for maybe another T Storm....

The Weather Channel says another polar vortex is coming to the Northeast early next week but all I see are temps in the 80's with nights in the 60's. Cooler nights maybe but not cooler days.... :?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Triple digitS!

At the moment, about the only US places that compare are right along the southern border. At this moment, the map says "98" about where I am but it should update:

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I was "a dry heat" today. In the 80's but......pleasant??? I enjoyed working in my garden tonight and not immediately sweating. Not even 1 drop. We also had a nice cool breeze!

Very strange for this time of year! It feels like fall weather.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's cold! And raining again. This weather is weird. It's currently 62F.... In August..... In SC!!! Crazy weather.

DDMcKenna

Can you believe it was 81 degrees at 4AM this morning when I got up to go running. Back to humid as heck too.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Rock on fellow runner!

If it would stop raining, we'd have ideal running temps here!

DDMcKenna

This morning was back to more "normal" conditions. It was only 78 degrees and 98% humidity. A 90 minute run leaves me dripping wet but what a great way to start the day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Nearest weather station where such things are recorded:

"... the 2nd hottest July ever."

Only 1906 had a hotter July. 2007 3rd, 1998 4th.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Tropical storm Iselle is bringing in some rain and high winds. the outer bands started to show on the Big Island around 8 p.m. last night and they have had some trees down as well as rain. The system is moving slowly so it is going to have inclement weather for awhile.

Maui has also had power out from the wind damage.

I have had some off and on rain and high winds and some things are falling outside, but so far the rain has not been hard enough or long enough to cause flooding. It helps that the ground was very dry so it can absorb a lot of water now. Stronger winds and more rain is expected throughout most of the rest of the day and maybe into tonight as the system which broke up just as it hit Hilo passes to the south.

Hurricane Julio is a couple of days out, but for now looks like it will track north of the state. Hurricanes that track North are less likely to come back to us if they track high enough. Systems that track to the south are more problematic as they can suddenly turn northward. Julio will probably bring more rain Sunday and Monday. The wind and rain will cause most of the problems, but for now most businesses decided to close their doors today and told their employees to stay home so it helps that fewer people have to be out on the road. It is better for everyone to hunker down and stay safe.

I have my cats downstairs as a precaution, but they do not like being excluded and have been following me around like dogs. This is not a complement. Cats are not dogs and anyone who keeps cats knows they will cross in front of your path to get attention and get mad if you don't see them and trip over them. Cats are much better in thunderstorms than dogs, they just find a box or shelf or go under the furniture to hide. They don't make noise and they don't panic.

I made sure I got gas the other day, my flashlights are placed around the house and were tested. I have filled up my containers for water and I took in most of the things I could find although there are probably more than a few that I missed. I have a lot of pots in the yard. I bought a lot of canned beans, spaghetti and mini ravioli and I have bread and peanut butter to tide me over in case the power goes out and I can't heat anything up. I have a manual can opener.
I have a propane mini stove and propane cylinder (I just bought although I did have to go to a few places to find the burner and the fuel) and I got some charcoal for my grill. I have my emergency box, but I don't think I will need it and I have food, medicine and a crate for the cats just in case.

We get about a week warning when hurricanes are in our vicinity but people, including me wait till a few days before to stock up. Actually, I only heard about the storm two days ago because I do not have tv, listen to the radio, or read newspapers and my internet was only working intermittently for most of July.

We get a few warnings in an active season, but most of the storms fizzle before they reach us or just miss. It helps to be a small target in the middle of the ocean and to have a pressure ridge north of the islands which usually protect us from the storms by shearing off their tops before they get to us. The ridge is also responsible for the trades that we normally get.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Pomaika`I.

Stay safe!

imafan26
Mod

Mahalo

Wombat

Coming to the end of winter here (dry season) and hopefully some rain will fall next month......warm sunny days with cool nights and no humidity.....imafan26....... malama pono......think I got the spelling ok, been a while :)

Meme
Cool Member

Hurricane Bertha hit the UK. Fortunately my side in the North West wasn't too bad. Winds last night around 35mph, a few neighbours fence panels came out, but nothing like any structural damage could I see locally.

Quite sunny this morning, then changed for cloudy and looked like it could rain. But now at 3.45pm the sun is shining, and the wind is said to be only 21mph. The temperature is 63F - 17C.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's raining..... For the 5th day in a row... We've had record flooding in our area. Supposed to rain until Thursday. Kiss of death to my fungusy garden.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was again 100°f yesterday at the nearest weather station (38°Celsius).

We are now promised a brief storm. The question is, how much wind? The Weather Service says "gusts to 33mph" but they can often be wrong for my location. We had one summer storm with gusts above 60mph! It was not even the one that left 50,000 without power and blew trees down all over the place.

Rain is beginning to fall where there was the major forest fire in the Northwest. It isn't likely to be much rain. Lightning strikes starting more fires is a real worry.

Mid-80's later in the week. Maybe, it won't be so hot after this. I cannot remember more summer heat in earlier years here.

Steve

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Rain coming in tonight and tomorrow. We are expecting about 1/2" of rain tonight with 2 more inches tomorrow. It's not supposed to be too windy but we are further in from the coast than some in the Northeast.

At least we have cool dry weather expected for the 3-4 days after the storm passes :)

Meme
Cool Member

Phew, a lot of rain there for you Lindsaylew82 and skiingjeff :? hope not too much damage done to your gardens, and it stops very soon.
I would melt in that 100F heat digitS'. :roll:

Quite a mixed weather day my side, with rain, as now at 6.30pm. Quite a bit of sunshine at least over the day. :D
The temperature has been around 61F - 16C, and the wind speed has dropped to only 11mph.

applestar
Mod

Yay! It's raining! :-()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I don't remember what the sun looks like.

Meme
Cool Member

It is sort of big and orange, and gives off a nice warm to hot glow.. Oh, it is up in the sky.....Well, it should be. :D

Quite mixed again my side. Some rain, then sunshine, scattered clouds about though, so no idea how it will turn out of course.
At 11.30am the temperature is around 59F - 15C and the slight wind speed is 13mph.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It is sort of big and orange, and gives off a nice warm to hot glow.. Oh, it is up in the sky.....Well, it should be.
....sounds familiar! ;)

It's raining again today.

applestar
Mod

Now I'm procrastinating after 1.75" of overnight rain.
I have to go out there and empty all the catch trays and anything else that collected water.... :roll:

And there are a few tomatoes and a melon that I wasn't sure would be a good idea to NOT harvest. I'd better go check on them too.

(I'm trying to nudge myself into action :bouncey: ...well more like motion :-() )

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

After 4 inches of rain today, I'm going to put on my wadders and check out the garden :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

SHUNSHINE!!! :-()

Wombat

cool and windy 71F, not much sun to speak of

Meme
Cool Member

Did you manage to nudge yourself into Action/Motivation applestar? :lol:

Oo, I would need my waders on as well skiingjeff with all that deep rain there. :shock: Now then, where did I put my pink puddle boots as I call them. :lol:

Well, I need them at the moment, although only slight rain at nearly 11.30am. It was sunny earlier, then changed to cloudy too. :cry:
Temperature around 59F - 15C, very slight wind speed of a grand total of 4mph.

Wow, lindsaylew82 has the sunshine, wonderful that is. :D Um, any to spare, can you blow a bit across to me please?. :D I will make extra currant buns. :lol:

That is a good temperature compared to my side Wombat, hope more of the sun comes for you. :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”