OurFamilyGarden

Tomato plant leave sets

So I started some tomatoes and cucumbers from seed. And it seems that so plants have the typical 5-6 finger leaf set. But some have just one leaf sets growing. Is this a sign of stress or is it the difference between a male or female dominant plant? This youtube video shows what's going on. Day after cotton seed meal: https://youtu.be/1_dpNa8ORy0

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I think that all looks completely normal. You have different varieties, and different varieties have different foliage. Here's a picture of some of mine from this spring...not only are the leaves very different in shape, number, size, etc...but also in color:

Where are you located? Seems to be an odd time to be starting tomatoes for most locations...

OurFamilyGarden

I am in Las Vegas Nevada. Its too hot right now. I have different varieties but with in the same varieties I have different leaf sets.

imafan26
Mod

Strange, the same variety with different leaf sets. I have only had that happen when the seeds got mixed up. Sometimes it happens when I planted pots next to each other with different seeds and they landed in a different pot or when I reseeded a pot because the seeds failed to germinate and then the old seeds came up along with the new ones.

Are you using saved seeds? If you had saved seeds from a hybrid or the tomatoes cross pollinated, it could explain why you might get different looking seedlings.

OurFamilyGarden

I'm using burpee seeds. These are really small. I can only assume I either stressed them out(I'm pushing these babies) or there is a hybrid issue ie possibly some seeds that are not as stable.

OurFamilyGarden

Also they are all from the same packet that was opened and germinated at the same time.

applestar
Mod

Only watched part of the video but what you are pointing to is a potato leaf (Pl) plant. As you said, most tomato plants have the other kind of leaves and they are referred to as "REGULAR leaf" (RL)

However, Black Krim is not supposed to have PL. Genetically speaking, PL is a recessive trait so it's pretty far off the genetic norm.

Did you sow any seeds for a variety with potato leaf foliage? It could be a mix up on your part, or stray seed from the company, which can happen.

OurFamilyGarden

Like I said it was from burpee from a single packet. Like I suspected it was most likely a genetically flawed seed.

applestar
Mod

You might grow it out and see what happens. Typically good PL varieties tend to be vigorous and provide good cover from the sun which is a trait that is often sought after by southern growers.

OurFamilyGarden

Well I'm looking for producers are you saying they won't produce?

applestar
Mod

Can't say without knowing what other varieties you are growing.
Some varieties are very productive and others are not regardless of leaf type. And of course it will depend on how you grow them and the weather.

But some tomato breeders try to introduce PL trait because they feel it makes the variety better. It also helps to avoid some accidental crosses, and it helps to confirm a deliberate cross too, because PL is a recessive trait.

We have no clue what your mystery plant is -- it could be a completely different variety -- a stray seed that found it's way into that packet.

But I grow some very stingy production varieties because the few fruits they produce are out of this world.

OurFamilyGarden

It is a black krim. In fact all my strains have a potato leaf plant that sprouted along side the regular leaf sets ones. It is just a recessive triat that happens. I read further on some other forums here. I'm not too excited about recessive triats although I'm a blonde haired blued white boy whose genetics are mostly recessive. And yes for the third time these seeds for all my varieties are from a single in open packet for your each variety and I did not mix any up in fact the potato leaf plants exhibit all the same traits as the regular leaf plants except for leaf sets

applestar
Mod

Sweetie I didn't say that. I said they probably got the stray in the packet at the seed packing factory. If you are getting significantly more than one PL from what should be a packet of RL Black Krim, it's a cause to complain to the company -- that's just bad quality control.

OurFamilyGarden

Copy that. Yeah I just won't use them again.

imafan26
Mod

Burpee buys seeds from many growers and repacks them under their name. I have gotten seeds from them namely yellow brandywine that turned out to be something else. The company is usually very good if you complain and tell them that the seeds were not what you asked for, they will either refund you or they usually send another set of seeds and usually they will also send an apology.

Most of the time I get what I paid for. Once in a while I will get an empty packet of seeds, so now I have learned to feel the packets first to make sure there are seeds. Burpee is not the only company that sends the wrong seeds. I got bitter melon seeds instead of papaya seeds from the UH, and I had a friend who got the wrong seeds from Tomato Growers Supply. Mistakes happen, but most reputable companies will make good on it.

P.S. Some of the tomato leaves look a little purplish, time to fertilize. Purplish leaves are common in young seedlings, it is a phosphorus deficiency that corrects easily with potting up and fertilization.

OurFamilyGarden

I'm going to brew up a compost tea tonight. It will be ready in 36 hours or sooner. I was waiting for the temperatures to drop to below a hundred so my tea can brew properly. I want a frothy brew. So that way these plants can have a stronger bio feild to digest the organic/natural fertilizer easier. So I will give them a 12-6-6 all together. I really appreciate your insights!

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! Keep us updated with your progress. :wink:

OurFamilyGarden

How to make organic Vermicompost tea update: [youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/J8N9zPYPWuk[/youtudotbe] the compost tea is looking great!

OurFamilyGarden

Soil drench round 2:

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/8fhatwf6In4[/youtudotbe]

applestar
Mod

Give us a little verbal description of what we would be seeing if we watched the video. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”