robyn514

lilacs and getting along with others.......

O.K....I have a perfect area in my backyard for lilacs but there are already some very happy pine trees back there. I know the pines like acidity and lilacs like alkaline soil but is there any way to encourage the growth of both in a 1/4 acre area? Lot's of compost? I would appreciate any suggestions. Additional info........ lots of clay....
Thanks everyone! Spring is coming and I am looking forward to getting out there and planting something!!!!!!!!!
Robyn

bewildered_nmsu

What is your soil pH (pH testers should be available at your local garden center) and what kind of lilac are you looking to plant? I think that Common Lilac prefers slightly alkaline soil and most others prefer a neutral pH. Unless your soil is decidedly acidic, I don't think you should have trouble with any variety of lilac. If your soil is very acidic mix some agricultural lime into the holes you plant your lilacs in. Agricultural lime balances excess soil acidity and should also be available at your local garden center. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else on here can chime in if I'm off on any of this.

robyn514

Thanks... that does help.

kelnig

do lilacs come in a weeping variety like a standar weeping maple???

bewildered_nmsu

I was able to find a weeping variety of lilac on the net (syringa julianae) but I don't know anything about it. Anyone else?

Return to “Lilacs Forum”