butrflydremr
Newly Registered

problem with inclined section of yard next to wood fence

Hello everyone. I have a landscape design issue. I have a wooden fence around my backyard. Inside the fence there's about a meter of yard that inclines down to the fence from a patio space. This patch is about 20 meters long along the fence. I don't know what to do with this patch of yard. I do know I need to remove the dirt around the fence so it doesn't rot the wood.

I've been thinking of creating a retainer wall to hold back the dirt away from the fence. This would leave about half a meter of gardening space. I would then fill in the gutter with rocks. Or should I make the incline steeper by digging the dirt away from the fence? What would be best for the fence not to rot so easily?

Much thanks!

butrflydremr
Newly Registered

I'm now thinking of lining the bottom section of the fence that touches the soil with sheets of tin. So I would remove the soil from the fence until I have a small gap underneath the fence between the soil. Line with tin sheets. Then move the soil back against the tin. Has anyone done this before? Any other suggestions?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Pictures would be very helpful.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Not seeing photos; make a steep bank.

DDMcKenna

Curious to see what that looks like

Return to “Landscaping”