kayjay
Green Thumb

Cayennetta Peppers

Has anyone grown these? I'm curious what they taste like green compared to ripened. Jalapeno-ish, maybe? So far, they're not ripening and there are far fewer flowers. I'm tempted to pick a whole bunch of them to see if that'll keep it producing. I could either ripen them on the counter (or in a paper bag with a banana) or maybe make little poppers out of them.

Anyway, I'm going to try one later today, so I'll post my review. ;)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings Kayjay, I think the taste would be interesting, peppers always seem to be familiar yet a little different. Like bell peppers, we eat mostly green when ripe they have a sweeter more finished taste, but we eat them green for a reason.

If you have some growing, I'd for sure try them. Have a great day.

Richard

bcrohn
Newly Registered

I planted two cayennetta plants this summer and they are doing quite well in our South Carolina weather. I have a few peppers that have already turned red. I am debating on the best way to store them and I am looking for recipes to use them in.

kayjay
Green Thumb

My cayennettas finally started to ripen. So in the name of science ;) I tried a young green one beside a red ripened one, and the results were what you might expect: the green one tasted 'green', and the red one was just a bit sweeter. There was ZERO heat in these peppers. I was a tad disappointed... maybe my tastes have changed and I've adapted to heat so that I can't perceive low heat? Who knows... Nice hardy plant, though, and I'd definitely grow them again.

bcrohn, I turned them into salsa today. I guess you could put them in any recipe that calls for bell peppers. I've also chopped and frozen some peppers for use in chili this fall.
Attachments
cayennettas.jpg
cayennettas.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 2551 times

kayjay
Green Thumb

Update: I picked more Cayennettas after they were well-ripened after I spent a weekend away. I took a bite raw, assuming they wouldn't be hot, and THEY WERE HOTTER THAN HADES!!! OMG, I chugged water and ate frozen blueberries to alleviate my mouth. Wow. HOT.

applestar
Mod

Interesting! Was this one from the same plant as the other ones you tasted before?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi KayJay, You know what they look like, Cubanella, an Italian pepper, I grow these they are indeed sweetish and have a thick wall, very nice. I wouldn't be disappointed.

Having just read you last post, that they were hotter than Hades!!!!, Sound good, you have your choice: To eat or cook with them green when with no heat or ripe hot as H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I and a friend went through a period where we were eating very hot peppers, the kind that will make the whites of your eyes red, but I've gotten over that at least for now. Hope you find a way to enjoy them.

Richard

kayjay
Green Thumb

Applestar, yes, same plant! Very odd.

Richard, they will definitely not go to waste, between freezing them for chili or pawning them off on coworkers. :) Re Cubanelles: I've bought those at the grocery store and they had no heat, but they were much larger. These Cayennettas are about the size of your pinky finger.

Return to “Pepper Forum”