Nemi
Cool Member

Some type of vine

This is a vine but I don't know what it is. I'm thinking I need to pull this up. .
Attachments
20140716_112712-2-1.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is virginia creeper. It is a nice native vine. It will grow on a fence or trellis if you want it to, but it will also just spread on the ground as a ground cover. Flowers are kind of inconspicuous, but it gets berries that birds like and then it puts on a nice show of fall foliage color.

MarcP2

I agree with rainbowgardener. I have lots of virginia creeper in my woods where it is always a rich dark green. But see how pretty it gets when it has full sun in the fall.

Nemi
Cool Member

Wow! Love the color - very nice. I have some growing near my backyard fence. I think it would be nice to have it grow on the fence as well.

benali

Yep, Virginia Creeper. I've got some I planted on my back fence.

Advantages -- fast growing, good cover, fantastic fall color, easy to grow on fences etc needing cover

Disadvantages - no leaves in winter, just the naked vines. Also tends to spread so you gotta manage it if you don't want it running all over as the seasons go on.

I like creeper. It's a good alternative to Boson Ivy here in the midwest. Cheers.

Nemi
Cool Member

Thanks - I have some beginning to grow on my fence. I'm looking forward to the colorful display.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

:eek: Just be careful, it is VERY allergenic.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Beware! With your location, similar to mine in temps, can be the vine from he-l. Meaning it likes itself, alot. I am at low battle with one I thought to encourage, smarty pants turned dumb pants here. I haven't used R-Up, but tempted.

Nemi
Cool Member

Some of mine has changed color - beautiful :D just thought o would share...
Attachments
20140805_132124-1-1.jpg

Return to “Plant Identification”