bcallaha
Cool Member

How to keep racoons out of the corn field?

In past years we've had some minor coon problems in our corn. This year the problems aren't minor. They are wiping our our corn!! Any solutions short of trapping or shooting? I don't have a dog, and don't know anyone who has one I can borrow. Does a radio work? I don't want to have a bunch of dancing coons out there!!

Brad

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, radio is not likely to work or not for very long. Best chance of anything like that working is hooked to a motion detector, so it comes on just when they are moving around. Makes it harder for them to get used to.

But really the only option is fencing. You can get deer netting or plastic fencing in rolls pretty cheap.

Raccoons LURV corn and will not leave you any. But honestly, when I used to live on 5 acres and had plenty of room to grow corn, I gave up on it. EVERYBODY loves corn - deer, raccoons, groundhogs, opossums, squirrels, birds, mice, etc . And we had all of those on our property. I think I would have had to grow it inside a bank vault! (And then I'm not sure the raccoons wouldn't figure out the combination locks! :? )
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

If chickens are an option, then a Rhode Island Red rooster might work. Mine kept the raccoons out of my backyard when I was a kid. Both cats and raccoons were afraid of that rooster. Mine was about two feet tall. Intimidating only begins to describe how fierce he was.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I was able to keep the raccoons out with an electric fence, but only after they had done quite a bit of damage at night. Then I started noticing some damage during the daytime, and did catch one squirrel in the patch about midday. Said squirrel will NOT eat any more corn, but his friends have.

Not an easy chore, but I have planted more, so I will be battling them again in a few weeks.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I was able to keep the raccoons out with an electric fence, but only after they had done quite a bit of damage at night.
I was going to mention you and your post!! :lol:
Raccoons LURV corn
Haha! 8)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

One of the best ways is to plant pumpkins or squash in the rows of corn. The sharp thorns on the vines cut the raccoons legs and keeps them out! You can even plant a row on each end of the field also helps plus you have a pumpkin crop!

applestar
Mod

Did that work for you, Bobberman?

If so, my corn might have some measure of protection:
image.jpg
...unfortunately, the squash (and cucumber) vines don't go all the way around
(though they are trying!)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya it works pretty well even with ground hogs. They are also good companion plants because corn has deep roots where vine crops has surface roots. The vines are really sharp and hurt the raccoons legs pretty bad so they stay away.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”