ChrisC_77

looks like slugs on green beans

I have green beans planted in a few different places. Some of them appear to be getting attacked by slugs. Does this look like slug damage? What natural remedy works best? Beer trap? Or can I just mix yeast in water?
Attachments
gb1.JPG
gb1.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Slugs don't nip off the top of the stem. They eat the tender leaves. If you have slugs you will see slime trails. Something else is snipping off the tops of your plants. Could be any number of critters. Do you have or are you willing to invest in an inexpensive game camera? That would quickly identify the culprit.

Good luck

ChrisC_77

I do have a bunny that keeps making an appearance. Has been since he was the size of a baseball. He doesnt seem to bother my garden much other than hiding. He seems perfectly happy with the clover flowers. Could be him though. I named him bandit. :)

Not so much on the camera right now. I'm not getting enough damage to make it worth while. I did move them to another area that seems to be left alone. I also live on city streets with a fenced yard if that might help.

applestar
Mod

I was going to say this looks like the work of a bunny wabbit!

I have to use rabbit fence around all my garden beds. They LOVE BEANS.

A little baby bunny got into my larger fenced area that's not proofed against the smallest bunnies and beheaded most of the beans that had come up around that time. He came back and beheaded some more, but I think he got too big to get back in for the third time.

...And all the beans grew back from secondary shoots that grew from the seed leaf node. If the bunny eats the bean stem down below the seed leaf node, that plant is done.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Chris,I think yours will grow new shoots if you can keep Seniorita BunBun out!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”