Decado
Green Thumb

Does Pectin Need To Be Heated?

So I made some raspberry jam without pectin and it turned out runnier than I expected. I was wondering if when I open a jar I can just add some pectin in and stir it to thicken it up or do I need to heat it for it to work?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As far as I know, pectin has to be boiled with the sugar to work. I doubt stirring some in later cold will do anything. Runny jam is still wonderful syrup for pancakes, ice cream topping etc. :)

Fruit jams are often made without pectin, because the fruit has its own. They don't set up/gel as hard as jellies, but should be thicker than syrup, thick enough not to run off your toast. That is accomplished just by boiling it down. It is tricky though getting that just right so it thickens, but doesn't turn in to fruit leather.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You gotta boil it.

Powdered pectin is added and boiled for several minutes with the fruit before the sugar is added.

Liquid pectin is added after the fruit and sugar have cooked, and is only cooked for 1 minute more.

I think in your situation, I would dump all the jars (how many did you make?) in a pot, bring to rapid boil, and add 2 packs of liquid pectin for every 6 pints of fruit syrup, cook for 1 minute and reprocess the jars. 1 pack per 3 pints. Sugar content may effect how your jam sets, too. But I've found liquid pectin can be more forgiving. It also makes a firmer set.

You could also put your syrup into a crock pot or a bread maker (mine has a jam preset). Or just cook it longer on the stove. Use frozen metal spoons dipped into the cooking jam to check for consistency, or you can drop a bit on a frozen plate.

applestar
Mod

There is a special pectin called "freezer jam pectin" that doesn't need to be heated... Or more specifically, shouldn't be heated:
RealFruit™ Instant Pectin is specifically intended for use in freezer or non-cook jams. Ball® Instant Pectin is formulated to be used for freezer jam only and should not be used for cooked jam recipes.
https://www.pickyourown.org/FreezerPecti ... 70YwCe9KSM

applestar
Mod

Haha you got three answers two minutes apart! :lol:

Let us know what you end up doing and how it worked out. :wink:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Freezer jam lends a less firm consistency also. It uses uncooked fruit and sugar with the pectin, then it's stored in the freezer and fridge. It can't be processed for shelf life at room temp. I'm not sure how it would do with an already cooked product, but I think as long as it stays chilled, it should be fine, and might help your syrup thicken some. I'm not sure if it has to be frozen to produce a set, or if it will do so with just chilling. It's going into the fridge anyway right?

I smell an experiment!!!

Decado
Green Thumb

Reprocessing all that jam seems like a big, time consuming pain. I'd rather just have syrupy jam. That freezer pectin seems like a good idea though. I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

You can start over just pour everything back in a pot add the pectin and redo all your going to lose are the lids. The wife caned some strawberry jam last year and when she was done I asked is this extra pectin? She just looked at me and started opening jars and pouring tem back in the pot!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”