applestar
Mod

GroungHOG ... NOT

I'm currently having an on-going battle with my nemesis the groundHOG.

It's been trying to move in, digging deep burrows under the crab apple/yucca as well as under the asparagus. I've tried burning smudge sticks inside the burrows. I've filled the holes it dug with sticks and dirt... Three times now,

Last couple of days, it's come back a couple of times without digging out the holes. It dug under the rabbit fence in the SF&H greens garden and ate the beans and radicchio as well as the kohlrabi leaves. So now I'm going to have to brave the poison ivy infested back fence and see if it has tried to dig under the back of the shed again. :x

I have a live trap set up but it hasn't been successful... Until today.

...but when I went to check, hearing some metallic rattling, this is what I found :shock:
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup, not a groundhog! But this guy can do a lot of damage in your garden also! What did you do with it?

applestar
Mod

DH took it away, grumbling that I wasn't supposed to leave the trap set during the night.

(He was advised by the friend who lent him the trap that it's best not to set the trap during the night because it might catch a skunk.)

...I will not ask (I'm a wimp when it comes to stuff like this)... But I'm relieved for my corn and melons, and, and.... :o

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Its not the only coon around those little bandits run in bunches! Ground hogs are easy to catch you just have to set the trap in the opening of their den and cover it with burlap then a light coating of dirt. They will walk right out and not notice it is a trap.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

This is why providence made 55 gallon barrels. The whole have-a-heart trap fits insides one filled with water...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:shock: :eek: ............ :(

PaulF
Greener Thumb

In most states it is illegal to translocate wildlife. The only out is to call it a nuisance and that makes euthanasia legal. The humane method differs from one person to another.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I feel your pain! That was me last year. This year I had a little bit of groundhog damage. Just a couple lettuce leaves and they did actually eat a LOT of my peas, but they bounced back. My neighbor gave me a plant that she got from her Hungarian gardening club that supposedly keeps groundhogs away, but I haven't planted it yet. No idea what it is. She has also been helping her other neighbor catch them and get rid of them.

applestar
Mod

Ohio Tiller wrote:Its not the only coon around those little bandits run in bunches! Ground hogs are easy to catch you just have to set the trap in the opening of their den and cover it with burlap then a light coating of dirt. They will walk right out and not notice it is a trap.
OhioTiller you were SO right! Thanks for this tip. :D
I set the trap right before a major storm hit last night just after sundown, so I didn't get the chance to cover, etc., but LOOK WHAT I FOUND THIS MORNING SOON AFTER SUNRISE ! :-()
image.jpg
Ha! I was looking at the photo and noticed it ate BOTH wedges of cantaloupe that were in there.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

That's great glad it helped bet you feel a lot better about your garden!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”