valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Anything like this happen to you lately?

So, This lady ,we know, calls the house and says: My daughters sold a saddle. I won't be home, Ginny has the pick up and just got her learners permit. She can pick you up, so there's a licensed driver in the truck, and drop you off. Well, OK,I say, I got some reading to do, sure!

Well, the girls come by and get me and in half hour we're there. I figure I'll carry the saddle to the door for them, it's only right, their're girls.
I see the saddle, it just been sprayed with oil, I'm not in a suit but I got on nice jeans and a good shirt. I carry the saddle to the door, holding it out away from me to save the clothes, my back hurt a bit, damn things heavy.
The lady at the door thanks the girls, I've set the saddle over the rail on the porch. The lady asks: Can you just saddle her horse, so my daughter can ride. I don't want to, didn't come along to, but I nodded yes.

Ok, I pick up the saddle, it's getting heaver as we go round the house to the back, first it's rubbing against me a bit than I'm flat holding it against me, I know the front of my shirt is barn red and the front of my pants too.

Then we see the horse, wild eyed thing, running back and forth to the back of this round pen made of Horse Panels. I set the saddle on a sack of alfalfa pellets that was laying there.

This horse looks like she just came from hell and ain't far enough away yet.

So, the lady comes up n says: Well? I says: Well what mam? She say's You gona saddle the horse? I says no mam.
My daughter would really like to ride the horse! she says. Your daughter isn't going to ride that horse this month. I says. No body is!

She says: I thought you knew a little about horses, can't you ride and gentle him a little? So, I says: Lady no body's getting near that horse unless he's on a horse. I don't know how long you've had her or how she got here, but no body is going to walk up to that horse an throw a saddle on it.
So the girls and I are walking back to the truck, one of em says: Sorry! You still want us to take you by that place you mentioned?

I turned to the girls and said look at me, looks like I painted a post than hugged it till it dried. No ladies just take me by home,
I had a smile on my face most of the time, but I think they knew I wasn't happy.
Last edited by valley on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedhardwoods

Really good story, but I must be missing something in the first paragraph. A strange lady called and wanted you to go with her daughters to deliver a saddle...............and you did?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Freedhardwoods, No,it was someone we know, and I was happy to do it, but it turned into a revolting development.

Have a good day.

Richard

freedhardwoods

Well, like they say, "A good deed never goes unpunished." :roll:

Could you get the stains out or do you have another set of work clothes now?

applestar
Mod

That was a SCARY story Richard.

I don't know who I feel sorrier for, the daughter or the horse. I tend to think the horse.
What possesses people to do something like that? I suppose it's more common than I know.

(I'll spare a passing regard for your clothes... Maybe you should go lean on a painted post for a while now so the back and front will match. :>)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”