valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Pepper seed differences

Greetings, This years planting of a good number of different peppers, have shown clearly, how each sprouts and grows in it's own manner.
While all were planted in the same soil, watered the same, certain of them sprouted sooner, grew faster and were more or less temperamental in their progress.
You may have seen this before, but this is the first time, I have arranged all conditions to be close to exact.
Even the sprouting rate, some seem extra hardy and some frail.

Have you seen this also? Thanks

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, for me at least, bell pepper plants sprout quicker, grow faster, get bigger and sturdier than hot pepper plants.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

And guess what...just the opposite here. Go figure.

imafan26
Mod

The Bhut Jolokia has a poor germination rate and won't sprout well until it gets hot.
Bell pepper can sprout at 65 degrees, but bells don't produce well once the weather heats up above 85 degrees.
It is hard to find bells with good disease resistance to fungal, bacterial, nematode and viruses. Other people report that bells give them tons of fruit. I am lucky if I get 3-8 from one plant before it dies.
The c. frutescens and c. baccatum are taller very productive and can live for years. I have tobasco plants that are 8 years old and 7 ft tall. The wild chilitepin are usually complements of the birds grow in hard ground.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I have tobasco plants that are 8 years old and 7 ft tall.
I wanna see some pics! Peppers are one of my challenges. They like to sprout in 85 but they don't want to grow in 85. I think they are one of the most prone to damping off as well. They are the most ph and moisture sensitive of all my plants. Since they are grown all over the world in different soils/climates it is hard to re-create what that particular seed wants compared to it's native region.

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi, We've spent more time at the lower ranch this summer, I find less chance of: damping off, here because it so dry.

Imafan, I want to keep a pepper plant to a great age as you have, I was able to overwinter some in the house. 7foot tall, man that would be great.
Gata go our girls are dragging me on an adventure.
Richard

imafan26
Mod

The pepper only got to be 7 ft tall because it is planted in the shade of the satsuma tangerine. It grew up to get above the canopy of the mandarin's leaves.

Some of my potted tobasco are about 5 years old. They have been cut down a few times so the biggest is only 3-4 ft tall.

Pepper leaves start to yellow and when they get attacked by white flies or pests, the easiest way to deal with it is to feed the pepper and chop to rejuvenate it.

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi, Do you overwinter your plants inside or out? I plan to use lights as in the past. Last winter we had a blown breaker and every plant we inside died, no exceptions. We'll see if I can do better this year.
Talk to you later.

Richard

Return to “Pepper Forum”