NeddyNitrogen
Newly Registered

Coffee Grinds in Compost

Since I brew up 2 pots of coffee daily I have found that grinds are quickly filling my barrel. Does anyone have any insights into how this could affect my compost? I know the pH could be lower (which for me, would actually be useful) because of the coffee, but are there any drawbacks?

easygoing
Newly Registered

These are classed as greens so you need to mix some browns with them to get them to compost well either leaves or paper will help.

pixelphoto

it could become rather acidic add more greens

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Actually, brewed coffee grounds loose their acidity in the brewing process.

Coffee grounds are great to add to the garden, you can add them directly to your compost pile as described above or in a sheet compost method by placing them directly into your beds.

They contain both N P and K and they are loaded with micronutrient for the soil as well.

I actually get them by the bucket load from a local organic coffee house.

robyn514

I have also read that you can water your plants with any coffee that's left over as long as it is black (no milk or creamer). I water my houseplants with coffee I don't drink so I don't waste it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's a good idea. Keep in mind though that the acid in the coffee grinds is leached out into the cofee during the brewing process. So, ideally you should only use this method on acid loving plants. But, I don't think that it would to essential. Just something to keep an eye on.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I add my grinds right to the garden. I only make a pot every few days, or once a week even, so I just sprinkle them around.

robyn514

I didn't think about the acid leaching out into the coffee. I have four White Abelia's that will be happy to drink my left-over coffee so I may use it on them instead of the house plants. Thanks for pointing that out!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ooh, just a slight difference there, the acid is leached out of the raw coffee grounds (somewhat raw) when the coffee is brewed, this leaves them at a pH that is more or less neutral or slightly basic. The coffee then, is acidic by nature.

Anyway, I don't think that this will make a huge difference in your garden but, like I said. Just something to be aware of.

Cheers, and happy gardening!

Kitster
Newly Registered

I poured stale coffee around my Nikko Blue Hydrangea to keep it blue. About every week while the flowers are forming kept it a beautiful blue.

Compost Rebel
Newly Registered

I religiously put my grounds in my compost. 1 pot of grounds/day. It does wonders. :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

They are great aren't they? I get buckets and buckets of them each year from an organic coffee shop in town and place them in my sheet compost. They work great.

Return to “Composting Forum”