hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2014 What did you eat from your garden today?

Fresh strawberries and blue berries on homemade shortcake with homemade whipped cream. Yummy! Also had out of the garden squash, onions, garlic, tomatoes with dinner.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Fresh strawberries and blue berries on homemade shortcake with homemade whipped cream. Yummy! Also had out of the garden squash, onions, garlic, tomatoes with dinner.
WOW! StrawBlueBerry Shortcake. Looks great

grrlgeek

Lunch was a salad with steamed cauliflower and broccoli shoots over rice.

Dinner (can't wait!) portabella mushroom cap (not from the garden) "burgers," currently marinating in olive oil and minced baby garlic, with bbq roasted turnips and baby carrots with rosemary and more garlic.

I have one tomato that as of yesterday, is showing its first blush of red! Still unsure when the biggest Green Sausage tomato will look ripe, but it's still extremely firm. Might pick it anyway, to slice for the burgers, because I'm impatient like that. :hehe:
2014-05-31-1.jpg
2014-05-31-1.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

When green sausage gets ripe, it turns very very yellow. The stripes stay green! They stay pretty firm. Very low water.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

You guys are killing me! I can finally start on my garden next month (moving soon).

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

My garden was NOT productive this summer but I just made soup with cannelini beans from my mom's garden. Very delicious!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

This!!

My son and his family are visiting from North Carolina. They really enjoy fresh veggies, so I was glad the garden gave us some produce for a great meal. Oddly enough, our daughter in law gave us a gift of Fried Green Tomato batter. So glad we were able to try it out.

grrlgeek

Lindsaylew82 wrote:When green sausage gets ripe, it turns very very yellow. The stripes stay green! They stay pretty firm. Very low water.
I was so close! But I decided to wait based on your advice. Sliced up an un-identified store-bought organic heirloom instead.

tick tock....
2014-06-01_17-36-11_814web-greensausage.jpg
2014-06-01_17-36-11_814web-greensausage.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Today, I got 3 strawberries, and, the fledgling birds and their parents moved out, leaving me a lone raspberry in payment of rent for the ledge where they nested. Harvested some kale and chard to sautee for greens with dinner.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They look like this when they're ripe! My husband's absolute favorite!!! :()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Did you get your green sausage yet?! We had our second one. Both grainy...meh.

Kid said she wanted green beans for supper tonight while we were on the way home from work. She's in luck!! I went out thinking there were enough to give her, and ended up with her little shirt full of them! First time she got to pick anything! She thought it was great fun! She liked breaking them up too! We got enough for a side dish tonight and for our lunches tomorrow!

We also picked about 10 good sized yellow squash. I sautéed them and had them with our beans, a few cherry tomatoes and some quinoa! It was yummy! And I had a great time sharing this experience with my daughter!

grrlgeek

First Green Sausage came off on the 8th. It was awesome too. Tart and meaty. Hubby liked it a lot. I want to make a cooked green salsa with tomatillos and then blend these in chopped and raw. They are also good on toast. But I haven't met a tomato yet that I won't put on toast. LOL

I picked 3 more in the last couple days. More are coming, but that first one teased me by being way ahead of the others. Here's how it looked when we ate it.
2014-06-09_18-53-18_862-1greensausage.jpg
2014-06-09_18-53-18_862-1greensausage.jpg (24.6 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
2014-06-09_18-59-26_754-2greensausage.jpg
And yesterday, we had enough tomatoes assembled to have a real tomato taste test!
Clockwise, from top center, Zluta Kytice, Heinz 2653, Indigo Rose, Yellow Pear, Sweet Million, Gold Nugget Cherry, Orange Icicle, Black Plum (awesome), Cream Sausage, Tumbling Tiger, Green Sausage, Indigo Kumquat.
Clockwise, from top center, Zluta Kytice, Heinz 2653, Indigo Rose, Yellow Pear, Sweet Million, Gold Nugget Cherry, Orange Icicle, Black Plum (awesome), Cream Sausage, Tumbling Tiger, Green Sausage, Indigo Kumquat.
2014-06-21_14-07-34_255tom.jpg (39.97 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I have a black plum but it's called brown berry. The first is ripening on the window!

imafan26
Mod

I ate nishime (Japanese vegetable stew) using the dasheen that I grew. I also had cucumber and tomato salad with my first cucumbers and cherry and beefsteak tomatoes from the garden. I have a zucchini in the frig, still thinking what I am going to do with it. I have pak choi, papaya and one fig waiting for me too.

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

cucumber salad with some of our Japanese cucumbers.

Fried yellow squash, using our crook neck squash, with some shallots (not ours) and fried with some smoked jowl meat

and bacon/tomato sandwiches with some of our Better Boy and Big Beef tomatoes...real good...we let the tomatoes get really vine ripened and then after picking, put them in a closed container for a couple of days

not from my garden or anything, but also had some homemade Brioche, using a really good recipe for no knead brioche that I picked up from Cook's Country on PBS....great show....one of my favorite TV cooking shows... the brioche has to slowly "rise" in the icebox for about 24 hours, but the recipe is dead simple and really tastes buttery good

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We're currently harvesting snow peas and the broccoli is coming in as well. The summer squash are starting up too!

We just love when the fresh veggies start rolling in :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

But I haven't met a tomato yet that I won't put on toast. LOL
I like to toast thick crusty bread in the oven with garlic infused evoo. And then I just rub a big messy tomato all over it.....

Mmmmmm... Now I'm hungry. Imma have to make some bread this weekend and save up my cherries.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Your tomatoes look like gems on that plate, grrlgeek. So pretty!

We're just nibbling broccoli greens while we wait for the side shoots to get a little bigger. I could probably start eating some of my eggplant. There aren't a lot of good photos online to tell me how big the variety is supposed to get.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sigh work day and then a lecture in the evening. I'm about to go from one to the other. I won't see my garden today, except I always go out on the deck before work in the AM and deadhead flowers and greet the day.

Generally what I'm eating from the garden is lettuce, kale, chard, broccoli, cabbage, celery, herbs. I have some tomatoes that are blushed and peppers that I could pick or let get bigger. I could start thinning carrots by eating the babies.

grrlgeek

Cola, thank you!

I read in your garden progress that you're growing Mangan eggplant? I almost picked that this year, but opted for Rosa Bianca and Lao Purple Stripe for my purples. I have never grown any eggplant successfully before so I studied hard all winter to do better this year. Size is less important when testing for readiness. As long as the skin still has a shiny appearance you should be fine, but once it gets dull, you've missed your window and they will start getting bitter.

Univ of IL Extension has this to say:
"Harvest eggplants when they are young. Size is not always an indication of maturity. To test, hold the eggplant in your palm and gently press it with your thumb. If the flesh presses in but bounces back, it is ready for harvesting. If the flesh is hard and does not give, the eggplant is immature and too young to harvest. If the thumb indentation remains, the eggplant to over mature and may be completely brown inside and bitter with large tough seeds."
- https://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/eggplant.cfm

The Japanese varieties are exceptionally sensitive and perishable. You can maintain freshness longer by rapid cooling to 50°F immediately after harvest. Also - don't put them in the fridge, but if you do, don't let them sit in there more than a couple days.

" Eggplant fruit are chilling sensitive at temperatures below 10°C (50°F). At 5°C (41°F) chilling injury will occur in 6-8 days." . - https://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/pfvegetable/Eggplant/

I pulled my first Casper and Lao White eggplants just a little while ago. I am so excited. Trying to decide what to make out of them! The purples have only just set fruit this week so that's going to be a long wait for me.

Let us know how yours fare!

grrlgeek

Lindsaylew82 wrote:
I like to toast thick crusty bread in the oven with garlic infused evoo. And then I just rub a big messy tomato all over it.....

Mmmmmm... Now I'm hungry. Imma have to make some bread this weekend and save up my cherries.
Yum back at ya! I will expand my toast horizons and make that as the side dish for whatever I make out of my eggplants!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Green beans and squash again tonight! Also my first zucchini and a few sungolds!

JC's Garden

Just finished drying out most of my shallots. Sliced a couple of the big ones and caramelized them in one skillet with olive oil and butter. Added sliced yellow crook necks and stirred. Meanwhile in another skillet, sliced okra with lemon thyme was also frying in olive oil and butter. Added a little salt and pepper to both and yum. No I didn't bread the okra. Went great with fried chicken. Would have put a smiley face thing here but couldn't find one that was licking it's lips.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

We had a nice salad last night 4 different kinds of lettuce and I pulled a few carrots.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:We had a nice salad last night 4 different kinds of lettuce and I pulled a few carrots.
Hard to beat fresh lettuce, and variety would be an added attraction. Wish I could ship you a few of my cherry tomatoes to add to your salad.

applestar
Mod

Fresh from the garden squash blossom petals and nasturtium leaves in a sandwich with leftover thinly sliced cold steak. 8)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I can see how those nasturtium leaves would pair well with steak! Mine tasted strongly of horseradish!

applestar
Mod

Yep. My nasturtiums are still small -- no flowers yet -- so it took three leaves for this sandwich made with Italian bread slices, but soon they will be big and round and just the right size for hamburgers, along with big beefsteak size tomato slices that are bigger than the hamburger patty. Can't wait! :()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Mmmmm... :() I'm DEFINITELY ready for a big juicy tomato!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This is about half of what we have in the fridge, on the table, generally being ready to eat or to process. Has been a great garden so far, especially since projects have kept me from attending the garden as I would like.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:This is about half of what we have in the fridge, on the table, generally being ready to eat or to process. Has been a great garden so far, especially since projects have kept me from attending the garden as I would like.
Looks great hendi_alex. Amazing what Mother Nature can do, but I'm still giving you a lot of credit.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tonight's is a typical summer meal. About 80% out of the garden, we buy very little ready made garbage.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Lookin beautiful!!! :-() It's hard to believe we live in the same state! Just this week we are getting our firsts of the "big" stuff! Squash and zucchini, snap beans, tomatoes are just starting to trickle in.

I'm getting impatient for big juicy slicing tomatoes.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Lookin beautiful!!! :-() It's hard to believe we live in the same state! Just this week we are getting our firsts of the "big" stuff! Squash and zucchini, snap beans, tomatoes are just starting to trickle in.

I'm getting impatient for big juicy slicing tomatoes.
We have daughter and grandson visiting a few days from Colorado. Asked her last week what she wanted to eat. Without hesitation, she said "BLTs". Today, we cooked some bacon, crisped some romaine lettuce and slice a plate full of juicy ripe tomatoes from the garden. Oh, and fresh corn on the cob, straight from the garden to the microwave (shucks and all). IT WAS GOOD. She was satisfied, but wants a repeat for tomorrow.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

::::drool::::

Can you blame her? :wink:

grrlgeek

hendi_alex - that is one beautiful meal you got there!
A BLT sounds wonderful... excellent idea for lunch tomorrow! Or a snack later tonite! :P

Today I picked my first two Casper eggplants, a handful of red frying peppers and one orange one, 4 nice and ripe roma tomatoes, and 3 small zucchinis and made Ratatouille with a big side of beet greens. The only things not from the garden were the pasta and the peppercorns. I set enough ratatouille aside to make bruschetta bread tomorrow, and that required some serious self control.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dinner last night was homemade vegetarian minestrone soup, with onions, garlic, herbs, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, parsley. Everything in it was from my garden, except I added a can of kidney beans. It was lovely and will be better today as leftovers!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

last night I made meatloaf using zucchini and cutting celery from my yard. Today I made a sandwich of the meatloaf and added a tomato I grew and I have corn on the cob (UH no. 10) that I harvested a couple of weeks ago as a side dish.

pow wow

Last night I picked some sage for my pork chops and steamed some beet greens and Arugula. Picking some cucumbers and pea pods today.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

BIG. FAT. SLICERRRRRRR! Yaaaaaay! This was unknown until this week. I'm 95% sure it's Cherokee Purple. Large, round, purple tomato. Very meaty, with smooth, almost slimy texture ( I like that!!!) balanced, tomato-ey, yummmmmmmmy! Better than yellow brandywine, but not as good as Amana Orange.

ETA:
I got so excited I forgot to add the pic... :-()
image.jpg

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:BIG. FAT. SLICERRRRRRR! Yaaaaaay! This was unknown until this week. I'm 95% sure it's Cherokee Purple. Large, round, purple tomato. Very meaty, with smooth, almost slimy texture ( I like that!!!) balanced, tomato-ey, yummmmmmmmy! Better than yellow brandywine, but not as good as Amana Orange.
Ahhhh. Nice looking slices there. I bet they were tasty.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”