applestar
Mod

Anyone know what this fly (?) is -- good or bad?

Does anyone know what kind of insect this is? There are a bunch of them inside my protective winter squash tunnel. They don't seem to want to leave when I open the tunnel to hand pollinate.
Unidentified fly (?)
Unidentified fly (?)
There is some aphid infestation going on, but I'm seeing spiders as well as tiny fliers that I hope are aphid predators. I did see what. I think is a hoverfly today so I'm not too worried.
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Marsh Snipe Fly?

Based on what wiki says, they won't hurt your garden, but they might go all vamp on you! ( TRUE BLOOD STARTS BACK TOMORROW!!! Woohooooo!)

They can be predatory to other bugs at all stages of life!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhagionidae

applestar
Mod

Hmm... Didn't quite look like it. I tried "fly with black spot on wings" and landed here:
Fly with black spot on wings - Chrysopilus modestus
https://bugguide.net/node/view/411247/bgpage

Then here:
Snipe Fly - Chrysopilus modestus
https://bugguide.net/node/view/299747

...I guess it IS Snipe Fly as you said :wink:

ETA -- but wow there is a dearth of available info on this species! At least it does sound like it's a predator as larvae and grow up in marshy wet sites (Paths/Swales along both sides of the raised Haybale row regularly fill with water and also the bog garden is nearby.). I'm guessing the adult flies emerged INSIDE the tunnel when I covered the area. Hopefully they are happy in there. I found one fly in a male squash blossom so covered with pollen that it was unable to move. :roll: Maybe they will help with pollination inside the tunnel?

applestar
Mod

BTW these C. modestus snipe flies are unassuming and so far hasn't shown any sign of biting. Just a lot of them everywhere. They fly up ONLY when sufficiently disturbed and tends to hold their ground on a leaf.

About the only issue I have with them is that so far, on three occasions, they almost FLEW UP MY NOSE as I was leaning or crouching down to get a closer look at or attend to a plant. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Rairdog
Green Thumb

My rule unknown flies/bugs is "once you land on my plant you better be moving and searching". If you go to a flower your cool. If you act like your searching for aphids and crawling on top and bottom of leaves your cool. Stay in one place too long and your squashed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

hmmm ... my rule of thumb is don't mess with mother nature. If I am seeing serious (not cosmetic) damage to a crop I care about and I can identify a particular beastie as being responsible for that damage, then I will think about finding some way to move it out of my garden. Otherwise, it is live and let live.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Speaking of biting insects...

I read that Johnson's Creamy baby oil repels Mosquitos and biting flies. The one I got is in a green squeeze tube.

It smells luscious, it absorbs quickly ( it's not greasy, oily, or heavy), and it works great! I've been using it for a week now, and no bites! Yay shorts and tank tops! Bring on the Snipes!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:hmmm ... my rule of thumb is don't mess with mother nature. If I am seeing serious (not cosmetic) damage to a crop I care about and I can identify a particular beastie as being responsible for that damage, then I will think about finding some way to move it out of my garden. Otherwise, it is live and let live.
I agree. I try and only do it with potted plants on the deck and in GH that end up being an issue. I created an artificial environment that mother nature can't balance so it is up to me to interact. Dirt garden is live and let live.....well except for aphids, white flies, squash bugs, slugs, jap beatles etc.....I sorry.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”