Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What can I grow besides CORN that contains Vitamin B17

Corn and Johnson Grass seems to be the only thing I can grow in my garden that contains Vitamin B17. I don't eat grass but I can make Tofu from grass. I am looking for more things I can grow that contain Vitamin B17.

Millet, Sorghum, Almonds, Berries, Apricot seeds, all fruit seeds, all contain Vitamin B17.

Watch this video about Vitamin B17 Laetrile prevents cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKhzbcpI_ro
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Greens like spinach, chard and kale.

Bean sprouts and beans.

Cashews are reasonably good sources of B17.

Yams, sweet potato, and cassava are good sources.

Flax seeds, too.

You could juice that grass and make a "tasty" juice blend.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Please look at this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Apricot seeds cornels inside the seed are loaded with B17 but it is a lot of work you have to eat 40 of those every day to get the required amount of Laetrile.

I know about bean sprouts already but what I don't know about is how much a person needs to eat to get the required amount of B17 per day. It would not be practical to eat a pickup truck load of bean sprouts every that if that is the required amount. There is no method of measurement for B17 in food.

Johnson Grass is loaded with B17, easy way to get it is make tofu from grass, it is not hard, instructions online. All you need is a kitchen blender, stove, pan, large spoon, cheese cloth and a bushel basket of grass.

I have been researching this for several days one new things I learned is raw vegetables contain enzymes that are very healthy. Cooking vegetables kills the enzymes. Not only will B17 keep you from getting cancer it is a known fact that raw vegetable diets will do the same thing. It is known both will make cancer go away.

The B17 diet and the raw vegetable diet are very close to the same. Several documented cases where people with cancer no longer have cancer after doing on one of these diets.

The FDA has made it illegal to treat cancer with anything other than DRUGS. The drug companies are putting out lots of propaganda that says, none of this works, apricot seeds are poison, it is all a lie. Everything you read that says this works there is also some written by someone else that say it does not work. The only thing you can not ignore is that 1000s of know cases where people had cancer then after B17 treatment or raw vegetable diet the cancer is gone.

This type of cancer treatment by medical doctors in illegal in the USA but 100% legal in other countries. Drugs are a multi Billion Dollar business in the USA, drug companies do not want people being cured with something as simple at vitamin B17 or raw vegetables diets.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tofu is a soybean product and cannot be made from grass. I have no idea if you can make something resembling tofu from grass though it is hard to know what would make it set up like tofu does and it doesn't seem like it would have the same protein content.

Apricot kernals do contain cyanide: A single apricot kernel contains about ½ milligram of cyanide (Committee on Toxicity, 2006; there is variation, however; see Holzbecker, Moss and Ellenberger, 1984). https://ispub.com/IJH/9/2/10959

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Tofu is a soybean product and cannot be made from grass. I have no idea if you can make something resembling tofu from grass though it is hard to know what would make it set up like tofu does and it doesn't seem like it would have the same protein content.

Apricot kernals do contain cyanide: A single apricot kernel contains about ½ milligram of cyanide (Committee on Toxicity, 2006; there is variation, however; see Holzbecker, Moss and Ellenberger, 1984). https://ispub.com/IJH/9/2/10959

Tofu can be made from any green plant. Some plants have more than others. Tofu is typically made from soy beans because it is loaded with it. Puree the plant in water in your kitchen blender, bring the water to a boil, skim off the stuff that floats, press out the water and you have tofu. 35 years ago when I was into this type thing we made tofu form every thing just to see how much it produces. There is a weed called Lambs quarters that will make a lot of tofu but nothing like soy beans. We traveled to 3rd world countries where people were starving and tough them how to make tofu from any grass or weed they could find.

These foods all contain vitamin B17. Some have more than others. I don't know how much a person needs to eat. Salmonberry grow in Alaska the Eskimos do not get cancer. Red raspberries are high in B17 but no information on what that means. Corn and Lima beans contain B17 still no information about how much. I think a person should include these foods in what they eat every day for cancer prevention.

Apricot pits
Salmonberries
Macadamia nuts
Lima Beans
Bean sprouts
Buckwheat
Millet
Corn
Johnson Grass
Sorghum
Almonds
Red Raspberries
Blackberries
Grape seeds
Apple seeds
Strawberries

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

It's not a vitamin, it's a poison...thus the reason for no recommended daily allowance. You mention cancer. I hope you're not trying to treat cancer with these foods. As a preventative, stick with the stuff that actually may do some good...yes, lots of fresh kale, collards, broccoli, any fresh veggie really. Don't eat fruit seeds or Johnson grass. By the way...I know a guy that lost a couple of cows that ate a bunch of Johnson grass...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's what wiki says about it, and I do not believe that wiki is controlled by big pharmacy companies, or any other big bad systems:

Since the early 1950s, both amygdalin and a modified form named laetrile or Vitamin B17 have been promoted as cancer cures. However, neither of these compounds nor any other derivatives are vitamins in any sense,[3] and studies have found them to be clinically ineffective in the treatment of cancer, as well as dangerously toxic. They are potentially lethal when taken by mouth, because certain enzymes (in particular, glucosidases that occur in the gut and in various kinds of seeds, edible or inedible) act on them to produce cyanide.[4][5][6][7][8] The promotion of laetrile to treat cancer has been described in the medical literature as a canonical example of quackery,[9][10][11] and as "the slickest, most sophisticated, and certainly the most remunerative cancer quack promotion in medical history."[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin

I remember when there used to be a big hype about laetril. A member of my church had cancer and went down to Mexico to get laetril, where he died. He likely was terminal and would have died if he stayed home, too, but at least he would have died at home, without having his hopes raised by a cruel hoax. Learn how to read scientific evidence and sort out fact from hype.

applestar
Mod

It's been a while but I looked into the cyanide contained in fruit pips and pits helping to TREAT cancer (not prevent) because this was something written in a natural diet for pets book. What I had gathered at the time is that doses need to be very small -- it's the kind of herbal medicinal that too much is poison -- I don't know if the depiction of the death scene was accurate but if anyone is watching Game of Thrones, Joffrey was murdered with cyanide -- but a tiny fraction could potentially create a helpful physiological response.

But my take away at the time was that effectiveness depends on TYPE of cancer -- and there are different kinds -- and stage of that cancer. That's why a lot of it is anecdotal. Sometimes the pre-cyanide will kill the cancer cells. I suppose it's a type of chemotherapy.

I gave up on pursuing the idea at the time because there was too much uncertainty in "what kind of cancer" and "what is too much?" -- especially for a pet (There was a disconnect between tests to ID the cancer and lack of information on what kind of cancer this treatment would be effective for, and then the "too much" was very difficult to ascertain when body weight is the normal scale of dosage and there was no accurate information on specific dosage per pound.)

Hmm... I had a different thought just now -- in the time of poisoning being popular assassination method for royalties and important folk, some of them took increasingly larger tiny doses of various poisons to condition their bodies to the toxins so that what is considered a "fatal dose" wouldn't kill them. I wonder if it's that immunological response that then scours the body for foreign cancer cells and eliminates them? Of course this didn't work with all poisons because some of them accumulates in the body and eventually kills you.

Tofu needs a coagulant. Do you use the same one as used for soy milk when making "tofu" from grass and greens "milk"? I thought it's the protein in the soy milk that reacts with the coagulant and curdles. (Strictly speaking "to" means bean and "fu" means curd -- nowadays, everybody uses the word "tofu" but the old term is an accurate direct translation)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

JayPoc wrote:It's not a vitamin, it's a poison...thus the reason for no recommended daily allowance. You mention cancer. I hope you're not trying to treat cancer with these foods. As a preventative, stick with the stuff that actually may do some good...yes, lots of fresh kale, collards, broccoli, any fresh veggie really. Don't eat fruit seeds or Johnson grass. By the way...I know a guy that lost a couple of cows that ate a bunch of Johnson grass...
Chemotherapy is poison!

If B17 is poison then why do people not die from eating food that contains B17 like, corn, lima beans, red raspberries, black berries, almonds, macadamia nuts, sorghum, millet, bean sprouts, buckwheat, salmonberries, strawberries, and other foods that contain B17 ?

If you watch this video of the research done 70 years ago you will understand why B17 works.

I think it was DateLine TV interviewed the guy from Wikipedia. He said they rely on people in the know to provide the information listed at Wikipedia. If your an expert at something you can send Wikipedia the information and they list it online as being the truth. Drug companies so not want something as simple as vitamins to cure cancer so they upload tons of propaganda lies on the internet to scare people away from B17.

Bitter almonds also contain amygdalin, and they have over 500 mg of nitrilosides per 1000 grams of seeds. 10mg of B17 is found in each apricot kernel. One almond seed weighs about the same as 5 apricot kernels. I weighed several apricot kernels average weight is .7 grams per seed. I weighed several almonds average weight is 3.6 grams per seed. 51 almonds have the same about of B17 as 1 apricot seed.

How many people have died from eating 51 almonds?

Watch the video. Do not base your decision on hear say and drug company lies. Go eat 51 almonds if you do not die that means you can eat 1 apricot seed. Then eat and apricot seed see if you die. Eat 102 almonds then eat 2 apricot seeds see if you die. I tried it already I don't believe the drug company lies anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKhzbcpI_ro

Did anyone take chemistry in high school or college? Does anyone know about chemical bonding? B17 contains cyanide but it is chemically bonded to the compound that is called B17 but it can not be released. That is like having cyanide in a glass bottle with a sealed lid it can not get out of the bottle. Cancer cells have an enzyme coating that will unlock the cyanide only when it comes in contact with B17. 1 molecule of cyanide is not enough to poison you but it targets the cancer cells and kills them. Several cyanide molecules are unlocked only at the cancer cells and they dies. When the cancer is gone the enzyme that unlocks cyanide is gone.
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Gary350 wrote:Chemotherapy is poison!
Ha. I agree with you there. Didn't I make that clear?

How about this?
I know of no scientific studies supporting those claims. One laetrile-related theory holds that cancer is a vitamin deficiency and that the missing vitamin is B17. That is nonsense. To fit the accepted scientific definition of a vitamin, a substance must be proven to be essential to achieving or maintaining good health. There is no need for amygdalin or laetrile in human nutrition.

In fact, instead of helping you, it may hurt you: laetrile and amygdalin can be converted to cyanide in the body, and laetrile use has been linked to several cases of cyanide toxicity. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS) one case report suggests that vitamin C may increase the amount of cyanide released from laetrile in the body, raising this risk. In addition, the ACS warns that individuals who also eat raw almonds or crushed fruit pits while taking laetrile and those who eat fruits and vegetables that contain the enzyme beta-glucosidase (such as celery, peaches, bean sprouts, and carrots) are more likely to experience toxicity.
https://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400624/D ... n-B17.html

applestar
Mod

Probably the one that I get the most questions on is Johnsongrass. Annually I get inquiries about Johnsongrass being poisonous to farm animals. Is it or isn’t it? When is it not safe for them to eat? Well I heard that Johnsongrass......... etc., etc.

The fact is that, yes, Johnsongrass can be toxic to our livestock, but only under certain conditions. Not just Johnsongrass, but also its cousins, sudangrass, milo, and sorghum- sudangrass fall into this potentially lethal category. There are others, but these are the most common that are used as livestock feed in our area.

So the question is when is Johnsongrass toxic? The fluff answer is it is toxic when it is under stress. Well, that doesn’t mean a lot to most people, so the longer answer is as follows.

Where we have the most potential for problems with Johnsongrass in our area is at frost time. If we have a ‘killing’ frost, then it is toxic for about 72 hours, or 3 full days. If we have a ‘burn back’ frost, then it can be toxic for up to at least 10 days, possibly longer if more burn back frost occurs.

The reason is that the burn back frost puts the plant under, you guessed it, stress. And obviously, a killing frost that kills back the above ground part of the plant is going to be stressful to the plant as well.

The reason for this situational toxicity is that when the plant is under stress, it produces a chemical called prussic or hydrocyanic acid, or more commonly called cyanide
https://boyd.ca.uky.edu/sites/boyd.ca.u ... h_2010.pdf

applestar
Mod

Just saw your edit. That's very interesting and explains the anecdotal success stories. And it would be great if it were a reliable -- works every time -- process. But it seems apparent that there can be very dangerous, known toxicity, and you could certainly poison yourself.

I don't want to be a naysayer. Just being reasonably cautious.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't have cancer and hope I never do. But I did manage to prove to my self that I can eat 10 apricot kernels with no ill effects. That tells me, don't believe every thing you read on the internet. I will not be eating lots of apricot kernels unless I need to.

There are plenty of good garden vegetables that I can grow or buy that contain B17.

I love, Lima Beans, butter beans, bean sprouts, corn on the cob, millet and currents on cereal and in home make bread and muffins. Almonds, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, and strawberries too. Sorghum is good on waffles and pancakes.

imafan26
Mod

Cancer has been around as long as the common cold. Some causes are environmental others are genetic. It is a scary thing, and desperate people will be drawn like a moth to flame looking for a cure. The reality is that there have been great inroads made into cancer treatments, but early detection is the most important part of an effective cure.

While it is not wrong to seek alternative treatments be aware that there are people who will take advantage of other people's misfortune.

Some people do actually take precautionary treatments like the eating nuts and sour sop leaves, noni juice and turmeric tea but while it probably won't hurt anyone in moderation, even herbal remedies must not be abused. Some of them can cause other problems if they are not used properly.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”