Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Bug ID

I relish a good puzzle, but I'm stumped on these three.

I really need to pull this plant up. It's the one that has herbicidal leaf curl. The bugs seem to love hanging out on it, though. So far it's the only tomato with "infestations" like these guys.
At first sight of them, I thought shield bug nymphs, but they just don't look quite right.
My second guess was leaf footed bug nymphs, but I've only ever seen them be red. I've never seen these nymphs before.

Then there's this guy.

He was pretending to be a stick. I watched him for some time. He wasn't eating my plant, just hangin out.

This one was just hangin out, too. Some kind of wasp maybe.

applestar
Mod

First one really looks like Brown Marmorated Stinkbug just hatched nymphs to me, they should turn tan and then orange in a day or two, but the alternating white and black antennae should be the identifying indicator.

I have an idea about the stick caterpillar. I'll be back.

applestar
Mod

Go take a look at this post and see what you think.
There are different stick pretending caterpillars so this is only one possibility though.
:arrow: Subject: Backyard bird and butterfly (and dragonfly too) watching
applestar wrote:moving INDOORS for the winter... :lol: -- Elsewhere, I posted about the Pickleworm caterpillars and moth that was found in DD's bedroom.

Today, I found this one -- another moth I believe -- on a chartreuse Cherkee Tiger Large Red tomato leaf:
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think it's the adult form of this inchworm caterpillar that was pretending to be a stick on my lemon balm earlier in fall: Image

...so I'm thinking it's a geometrid, but which one?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah. That's definitely the stinkbug! (90% froze to death this past winter.........pssssh!)
Thank you! I didn't wait for confirmation...they looked suspicious and so got the suds. They WERE freshly hatched. I could see the egg cluster.

I did not kill the caterpillar as I couldn't see he was doing anything wrong, and I seem to remember reading something last year about carnivorous stick caterpillars. I hope he was waiting for a juicy cucumber beetle. ((ETA: they look very similar what did you do with yours?))

I saw a large yellow jacket munching on an immature armyworm. Kinda cool!

I left the waspish thing alone too.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Meh... Only the Hawaiian strain is carnivorous....

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”