applestar
Mod

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Do you keep growing some things in the greenhouse and hoop house?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The only things in the greenhouse are basil plants and some tomato plants that I don't need but inadvertently set out in the sun without hardening-off and burnt the leaves off them! They have been in there for a couple of weeks recuperating. Now, I've got to figure out what to do with them!

The plastic film came off the hoops recently. Too hot in those things when it is 80° and sunny! They could have an exhaust fan like the greenhouse but don't.

I've got everything including eggplants and some of that basil out in the open gardens, AppleStar. They are at the mercy of the "elements."

Steve

applestar
Mod

I'm determined to succeed with eggplants this year, and one of my strategies is NOT to let them get cold. In previous years, they have almost always experienced cold snaps that made them fold their leaves up "in prayer" and after that they sulked and would not grow up.

I'm planning to plant them in a plastic 1/2 barrel (it's light blue in color) or if I can get around to repairing the garden bench, I can put them in the giant black nursery planter that's holding up the seat and keeping it from collapsing. Then find the sunniest spot of lawn we have to plunk it in the middle of. (Well actually, I'll put the container there FIRST then plant. :P)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It keeps raining, but not enough to be useful. It's just enough to make the heat and humidity miserable.
Lately it's been scorching hot (in the upper 80's, low 90's) during the day. 60's and 70's at night. Gladly up from the 50's at night. Reeking havoc On my tomato blossoms. We are finally setting fruit!

I love eggplant, but have been pretty unsuccessful at it. First flea beetles make it lace, then it just does poorly after that. I never really thought about cooler night temps affecting it... Maybe that's the one-two punch that makes it perform so poorly.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It rained way to much to be useful tonight!!! Haha!
Our yard looks like a bog! Our garden paths are 45' long overflowing reservoirs.
Pretty nasty storms with hail for the past 3 hours. High winds! So glad I finished tying those tomatoes!

applestar
Mod

Lindsaylew82 wrote:So glad I finished tying those tomatoes!
First nasty/windy storm of the summer always catches me off guard. We tend to have early spring high winds which I always think of as "Mary Poppins weather" then relatively mild air currents while the tomatoes are planted out, establishes and start taking off in leaps and bounds.

I just casually tied up the second tier, which means I'd better get serious before that storm comes blowing through!

Forecast over tonight is 52°F. The eggplants came inside again. Everyone else will just have to hunker down. So much need to get planted still. :roll:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Haha! It's always in the nick of time. I spend at an hour every single day doing something. As long as I keep up on it, I enjoy enjoy it. An hour flies by. Tomatoes require tying up daily here, or they get messy!

Last night we had a storm come within a few miles. BIG lightning and thunder, but no rain. My uncle lost a large tree in his yard and has hail damage on his home...lives 3 miles away! Whew!

Beautiful day today! Tomatoes are still going strong! More and more blooms with fruit set everyday. 1 is now taller than me at 5'7". It's my yellow brandywine, and the leaves are HUGE!!! My cukes, squash, winter squash, pumpkins, and zucchini have taken advantage of all the heavy rains this week.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Another hot dry day. 94 F. I top watered all our squash, zucchini, pumpkins, and cukes. Looking for squash bugs and their eggs. Nada! Score!!!
Looked back and the 3 year old was going behind me tossing "sprinkles" ( dandelion seeds... :shock: :roll: ) on the tops of the largest leaves. Sigh.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Well, We had a fire, in the stove, this morning. It has been in the 80s and 90s but suddenly.

Richard

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The afternoon high was only 53°f, yesterday. I don't know why they bother to tell us that the wind chill is now 45° when there is 46° on the thermometer.

A high in the mid-60's holds real promise. I hope I'm not complaining about the heat in a few days. Shoot.

Steve

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It's hot! Real hot! I got called off work yesterday morning for low census. I was out in the yard doing big work during most of the morning and by noon it was in the high 90's. I had to water yesterday morning and this morning because I had some new additions. It hasn't rained with any effectiveness in a week or so. I'm sure it'll rain today though, since I watered. At 6am this morning, it was a balmy 84!

There's a storm a'comin!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Husband cut grass yesterday, but it was too late to spread it. Did that tonight just in time for the skies to open up! It's pouring! Slapping the windows! I hope my squash and zucchini don't get broken! :( They're getting pretty large canopies...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 85°f this afternoon. This will be the highest so far this year.

DW wanted to go home early from our garden work. It was okay with me. Only a week ago the high was 53°, a temperature more typical of April.

Back to the 70's for the remainder of the week with lots of cloud cover tomorrow. We will have a little more time to get used to this. Despite some cool June days, the month has been somewhat warmer than usual and should end well. We gotta stay away from that wind and chill or the warm season plants just won't grow.

Steve

JC's Garden

It was 89 and humid. Just got 1/4" rain and might have a little more on the way. Temp dropped to 81, nice. :D Went to check the garden and saw stuff I missed this morning. Okra, sugar snaps, strawberries, squash. Planted cucs and tomatilloes right before it got here. I'm good. :-()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Got a nice useful rain tonight! Planted the last of my "no idea what they are, cause storm knocked them over" squash. I ran out of room in the squash/cuke area so I planted them in the tomato sections. I THINK they are acorn squash, but I'm not sure...
Picked 3 times the amount of beans tonight. Pouring rain beats smoldering heat any day!
I'm convinced the neighbors think I'm nuts. nutz:

imafan26
Mod

It was 86 degrees today, right now it is 79 but with 70% humidity. I'm glad the trades are still here. I drank 6 cups of water and soda today and peed once. I did sweat through my shirt and bandana more than once. I need a nice cold bath.

applestar
Mod

TMi I -- thanks for that image to start the day :>

My garden needs rain. Parts of the yard that are not getting watered by sprinklers are starting to dry up. If anyone is getting too much rain, please send the rain clouds this way. I'm going to water this morning -- I can't rely on "40% chance of rain" ...It will no doubt be just a little teaser ...just enough to darken the surface and increase humidity, but not enough to soak to the roots.

applestar
Mod

OK -- I watered pretty thoroughly AND caught a few slugs so it's sure to rain buckets now. :P

...hmmm but I patched up a leaky rainbarrel and added a two level/zone overflow. That might cancel the whole plus side and bring the probability down to zero, :roll:

Cola82
Green Thumb

It rained the day before yesterday and I'm kicking myself for missing my weekly milk spray application yesterday. Urgh. I set an alarm for tonight.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Wet. That is all.
We knew June was a bit damp. Mostly small showers day after day, brief interludes of pretty. That totaled over 6". The last night the weather gods told us not enough. Over 6" in 12 hr period. Have another day in the month, perhaps without rain. But if you are going to break records, lets go for 2nd, not just 3rd wettest for June, and have another day to do this!

As usual, be careful what you wish for, as we could easily slip into hot and dry. Sigh.

Franenuss

Here in Santiago today the miminum was 33°F (1°C) and the máx 64°F (18°C). It's quite dry, but I hope for a few rains next week or the one after that.
It's really contaminated, the air here, too.
Have a nice week!

applestar
Mod

Dry...dry...dry....

Even Arthur didn't drop any but a few spitters as it passed -- coming up the coast or across the country, the clouds dry up and scatter before they get here.

With on-going water restriction, I can only water my garden areas with soakers that are set up and by moving the sprinklers around that only reach a very limited area due to low water pressure for areas that aren't. Beyond their reach, front lawn is looking very sad though I hope the buffalo grass that are starting to take over will manage the drought better than the standard NE mix.

Tomorrow's chance of rain that started out at 50% has dwindled to 30%, and the next opportunity is 40% on NEXT Monday. Then an 80% chance on Tuesday -- hah! I'll believe it when I see it. :roll:

If you are getting too much, please ship them or send them this way. :|

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have dried up here in SC, too! Temps in the 90's every day, and it hasn't rained in over 2 weeks. I could care less about my lawn, it never gets watered, but I don't live in a HOA neighborhood.

I probably need to be watering daily, but I try to stay with every other. I do water enough to flood the trenches between raised rows so that it absorbs deeply to the bottom of the rows. I have so much mulch and paper, that it tends to stay more moist that way vs just watering on top of the mulch.

Cola82
Green Thumb

In the nineties every day. The squash hates it. I've had to set my rainbird to water twice a day. Oof.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

This report is for yesterday July 8. Here in the high desert, there was a sudden dust storm, it about 10min it began to rain, not lightly, but like it rains in Brisbane, the water began to puddle and run. In the back, I have dug catchments, with the backhoe, in the erosion trenches, they began to fill with water, it was great. The wind got up to 35mph, according to our weather station here on the ranch, it would be higher at the little airport a short distance away, they measure the wind speed higher off the ground. Wifey and the girls brought the chickens and put them in with the goats, they like to be together when the weather gets crazy. Soon as the rain lightened up the chickens were out pecking around.

Richard

grwrn

Very dry here too. Grass is brittle and crunchy. My area has missed all the spot showers and storms. I could swear I am living under the dome where there is no rain. :P I have a raised, squarefoot and container gardens. My water bill has tripled keeping them watered :shock:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's easy to give my daily weather---------hot, humid and continued that way until late September. Summers in New Orleans are trying times at best.

My tomato plants are going south, but that is normal this time of year and I usually pull them by mid July. Okra is loving the heat and my fig tree is producing tons of figs. I've picked over 400 of them in the past week alone with at least another 10-14 days worth before they are pretty much done for the year. I've put up about 10 pint jars of preserves and have given what I haven't eaten as snacks to friends and family. Just gotta beat the birds to them in the morning and all is good.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I watered deeply last night! ( I accidentally left the hoses on for 2 hours...)

Of course, now it's RAINING all day today.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is going to be very hot for us, in the 90's for days, then 98 on Tuesday. We had a good amount of rain in the spring so things are growing well. they are cutting hay and have a good crop this year.

JC's Garden

We've been hot and very dry, to the point of trees showing signs of stress and grass dying in the yard. But we got some rain. 1/10" Thursday, 1 1/2" Friday, and 1" Saturday.
The garden is doing well (I keep it watered) but that brown grass may take a while to recover.
Going out in the morning to do the same thing I did Saturday morning. Tying up tomatoes and such.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Big thunderstorm today! It's been flashing and booming and pouring since I got up around 8 am. Pretty surprised it lasted so long.

Raff_Out_Loud
Newly Registered

It's been pretty dang hot in Reno.

Right now it's 100*F with 16% relative humidity.

A wet heat would be better for my plants. With the exception of the hops, I have to water them all every morning. The dry heat plus the reflection from the very light concrete of the apartment deck tends to suck the moisture right out of the soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rain, rain, rain. Overall we've had a rainy summer. Yesterday it just poured starting in the afternoon and going on for hours, with lots of thunder and lightening. Today I woke up to rain. I keep thinking about all the folks in the west suffering terrible drought while we have more water than we know what to do with, with flooding some places. Surely science can figure out a way to move some of our excess west? If we can build an oil pipeline from Canada to Gulf of Mexico, we ought to be able to build a water pipeline from here to Calif.

I do get it, that one trouble with that is that all this excess water here isn't in one spot, it is distributed over thousands of square miles. And there's mountain ranges in the way going from east to west.

Still ...

DDMcKenna

This sounds like an interesting and fun thread. But the weather in Florida, especially central Florida along the east coast is so predictable that I think it's boring. I do feel bad for the folks out west in the drought. My brother lives in CA so I can feel their pain. It seems too much of the country is stuck in one extreme or the other. Florida seems to have its own unique climate.

I saw a chill map this past winter showing the whole US with all the terribly low temperatures and a caption at the bottom saying that "Florida refused to participate in winter this year." Actually, here on the island around Daytona Beach, it never got below 35 degrees even once. But we forfeit in other ways. In '98, we had those terrible wild-fires and I know that has been a terrible problem out west this year. Then we have our hurricanes. Everyone knows how bad they suck but we've been very lucky since '04 when we got hit with four in a row. The only good thing about hurricanes is that it is one of the few natural disasters that makes an appointment with you. You always have plenty of time to prepare. We were very fortunate even in '04 because I had the house set up to handle it. I have 3/4 inch boards that I bolt on over each window so it's kind of dark inside the house but we came through without a scratch. But it was really bad for a lot of other people.

I'm thinking the one really bad thing that could happen here is a tidal surge. That would be devastating. We are in the middle of our rainy season right now which means you can just about set your clock by a good thunderstorm everyday at 3 o'clock. But they are short and move fast and no matter how much rain we get, it's going to run off into the river or ocean so we can't get too much, (except for little plants in small pots). They never fair well.

But this is definitely the sunshine state and I moved here from up north 20 years ago for the same reason everyone moves here. I just got tired of shoveling snow.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 99° yesterday.

11% humidity.

40% chance of a thunderstorm today but I can't see it, yet. I'd settle for a Pacific Ocean cloud if I have to be outdoors much today.

Steve
wishing for a cloud after complaining right thru spring about cloudy weather :)

JC's Garden

The rain last Friday and Saturday brought our humidity back up to normal. Around 50% in the afternoons. Sure helps to cut down on watering but sure makes it feel hotter than it is. 93 degrees fells like 100. Folks that aren't used to it generally take the first flight home but for me, it is home.

DDMcKenna

digitS' wrote:It was 99° yesterday.

11% humidity.

DANG! 11% humidity! I don't think I've felt anything less than 95% in 20 years.

Of course, I'm exaggerating. Between 3AM and 5AM, it often drops to as low as 50% but usually, by 9AM, it is often back to 90% or above. That must feel like a completely different kind of hot.

Raff_Out_Loud
Newly Registered

Quick hail storm followed by torrential downpour. It was 90*F thirty minutes ago.

Luckily I was able to move the fragile just-past-seedling plants to cover when I first noticed the little bit of hail.

imafan26
Mod

Very hot and muggy. At 2:15 p.m. it is 82 degrees and 72% humidity. There was a little sprinkle of rain, but all that did was add to the steaminess as it evaporated. Wind is at 11 mph, but it doesn't look like that in my neighborhood.

applestar
Mod

There is a subprogram on WeatherBug called SPARK that maps lightning strikes.
This is what it's showing right now :shock: and as I'm typing, the lightning detector siren at the community athletic field 2 blocks away is going off non-stop :eek:
Not posting the whole map, but it shows that there was a <br />strike right IN that athletic field,,,,
Not posting the whole map, but it shows that there was a
strike right IN that athletic field,,,,
image.jpg (26.07 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”