beaner
Newly Registered

Help! Shrivelling pepper leaves!

I'm brand new to vegetable gardening, so I need a lot of help! My vegetables are in containers on my condo balcony. It is south west facing so they get a lot of sun, but they also get a LOT of wind and it's been pretty cool here in Toronto this spring.

I just planted peppers (bell and Jalapeno) and tomato about 2 weeks ago and the pepper's leaves are starting to wrinkle, turn dark and shrivel away. I've read explanations for this from calcium deficiency, to aphids, to thrips, to too much water! I've been inspecting them for bugs, but haven't seen any aphids anywhere near my plants. I took some photos of the plants - can anyone identify what would cause this and how to save them? Peppers are what I was most excited to grow! Thank you!
Attachments
DSC_0370.JPG
DSC_0370.JPG (24.81 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
DSC_0364.JPG
DSC_0364.JPG (26.11 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

HI, Looks like they've been chewed, maybe a larger animal, bird or mouse type. keep a watch, it will be interesting to know what did that. Putting a wire cage over plants where possible should help. Good luck finding the culprit. Let us know what you find.

Richard

It does look like you might have a couple things going on. Some leaves look cut, chewed and torn, while others look curled as if infested. what do you see under the curled leaf?

imafan26
Mod

You said it was windy too. If the winds are strong enough to whip the leaves they will cause bruising, ripping, and rotting along the edges. Fungal and bacterial diseases will take advantage of tears in plant leaves. Plants will dry out faster on windy days. If it is too windy, I have used burlap sacks or another plant or screen as a wind barrier. If you are on a balcony and on an upper floor most bugs were brought in by you so inspect plants thoroughly before you bring it home.

beaner
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I might indeed have more than one problem. Under the wrinkly leaves it looks just like the top. I can't see any eggs or insect damage. And we have had some pretty intense winds in the last week. I wonder if the edge damage is from whipping around in the wind, and crinkles from an infection, or calcium deficiency?

I guess I'm hoping for the calcium problem because it seems the easiest thing to fix!

Thanks a lot!

imafan26
Mod

If the puckered leaves are caused by mites you may not see them without magnification. The wind could have damaged the leaves and they would be torn and bruised. I would cut back the pepper plant. Make sure you have some wind protection if it is windy there.

Return to “Pepper Forum”