tybalt

garden soil in pots *grumble* oops

A big fat oops. Imagine my grumble being filled with many profanities. I didn't notice until after I repotted ten pepper plants with garden soil that is not supposed to be used in pots.

Sigh

I'm a little ticked off right now. So how can I deal with this? Have I actually killed these plants slowly grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

applestar
Mod

Wow that's a lot of pots to undo. :(

But yes, better to fix it now, especially with peppers which are very susceptible to root rot due to soggy soil that doesn't drain well. You can remove the plant, dump the contents of the pot and thoroughly mix in 1/4-1/3 perlite or mixture of sand/gravel or pumice gravel. (Perlite will keep the mix less heavy as in weight to pick up and move the container, but the sand/gravel would weigh them down and help from falling over if the plant grows big and tends to become top-heavy).

Depending on how dense the potting soil is, you could also mix 1/3 shredded coir (or peat moss if you have to, but if you do, then you'll need to add a little lime to balance the pH).

tybalt

I don't have time for this!!!!!!!

applestar
Mod

I hear ya. :|

tybalt

How about mixing it with black earth? I want to try to use what I have...I thought I already posted this but don't see it lol.

applestar
Mod

Hm... Maybe I didn't say it right -- what I mean is use the "garden soil" you used, but mix with those other ingredients I mentioned. You need to make up a mixture that is less dense and less likely to compact, hold too much moisture, etc. -- a well draining mix.

If by black earth you mean the potting mix, then sure you can mix with it, but I would still add another 1/5-1/4 of something for drainage. Maybe 2 parts soil, 2 parts potting mix, and 1 part sand/gravel mix or perlite.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah ... garden soil (aka dirt ! :) ) whether it is from your ground or from a bag is NOT good for pots. To heavy and moisture holding, over time will compact in the pot and turn in to a brick.

tybalt

Ok so I bought perlite and fine washed sand. Returning what I didn't open. The sand seems pretty heavy but I guess the point is it's not a compacting type substance...God why didn't I look at what I was buying on the weekend????????

tybalt

And I got some fertilizer to counteract the lack of nutrients in the garden soil. Jeez why do they even sell it lol

tybalt

Now I need to find time to repot them all tomorrow at 5 AM...hope there's time before work. Finally getting a sunny day and they are going to growwwwwwwww

tybalt

Just am update for anyone who cares, I didn't repot two pots which hold multiple plants since it was a crazy time for me back then and I wanted to see what would happen.

I'm lucky that they are doing just fine but I learned a valuable lesson for next year just the same. :)

imafan26
Mod

It is easy to mix up the bags. I did that too and got garden soil instead of potting soil. The bags looked alike so you have to really read the label. I noticed it because the garden soil did not have the perlite in it and it was heavier. Luckily, I noticed the difference in the texture so many (*T&*%&%($ later, I went back to the store and got potting soil instead.

Garden soil isn't even a planting mix, it is supposed to be mixed in as an amendment.

Return to “Pepper Forum”