Dianne Fincham

Can anyone please identify this really weird plant?

Hi,
Can someone please help me to identify this plant? This plant has been in my garden for quite a long time. To be honest, I don't know if its a plant or a weed! The leaves makes me think it's from the Lily family, but the 'flowers' (if you can call them that) doesn't resemble anything! At first, I thought it was some kind of funcus. The 'flowers' , which are hidden underneath the leaves, don't last very long, just a few weeks and their gone. This time I did manage to get some photo's of them though. I would really appreciate any help. I've attached two photo's, one shows the 'flowers' a bit clearer, and the other is a better one of the leaves. Many thanks Dianne :?
100_5551.JPG
100_5551.JPG (60.05 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Attachments
100_5552.JPG
100_5552.JPG (57.65 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Very pitcher plant-esque. Pretty neat!

applestar
Mod

I've seen that somewhere. I wish I can remember what it is. :?

Dianne Fincham

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the replies. I live in Cornwall UK and I've not seen anything like it anywhere else? I have searched the internet for images of various Lilies, (going by the leaf shape) and Pitcher plant,(going by flower), but can't find anything that looks exactly like mine? I noticed that Pitcher plants have an opening (like a pitcher) at the top, mine doesn't seen to have that? I've never actually noticed when the 'flower' parts have disappeared, so it could be something I'd see right before they go? MIne has this very long sort of tail that sticks up. It's really buging me not knowing exactly what it is!

applestar
Mod

Closest I could get with limited search time this morning was aristolochiace family possibly asarum (ginger) subfamily -- some similar long whiskers -- but need to narrow down to arrow shaped rather than heart shaped leaves. Try along those lines and see if same plant comes up?

Oooh I wish I can remember. :?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

The leaves remind me of calla lilies. I looked for those and found this link and picture. I don't think it's a match, but maybe it will help spur a memory.

This picture from this site.

https://www.esc.nsw.gov.au/living-in/abo ... osurum.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

This one looks close also. Arisaema.

farlutti
Newly Registered

The leaves sure look like some type of arum, but the flower doesn't look like those we have in the states. Does the flower have a strong smell? Many arums do.

Dianne Fincham

Thank you, yes, I can see the resemblence to the Calla Lily / Arum. I will look into those further and see what comes up. As for smell, I'm afraid I didn't check that out. One thing though, the flowers were very close to the ground and well hidden underneath the leaves, there were loads of leaves, and none of them were very tall. Certainly nothing higher than 6-8" or so.

Return to “Plant Identification”