Turbogus

What kind of plums could these be?

Having recently reintroduced myself to eating plums as a matter of healthy snacks earlier this year I was picking up what was labeled at the Co-Op here in Corvallis, Oregon (a wonderful place to live, 200 billion slugs can't be wrong) “Black Plums” these had a very tasty sweet fruit very dark (pupplish) in color with a rather large seed. Since early this summer revisiting the Co-Op the same plums (labeled) are very yellow in color and very tart. Is it just early pickings? Time of year? or a different species mis labeled? Any idea of the species? If I find these again I'll post a pic! Thanks for any info, I'm a right ignoramus on such things.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Without a picture it would be very difficult to identify these fruits Turbogus. But...by the description you give I would think they are two different vars.
Black/blue plums are green in their under ripe stage but the would not be picked before they had started to show some form of colour change.
Once they have stated to change colour growers will often pick them so that they have a good 'shelf life' and they will not bruise so much in transport and storage.
There are a multitude of plum varieties grown so that there is a steady supply of fruit on sale throughout the year.
They are not an easy fruit to store for any great length of time so it's easier to use different types for each part of the year.

Turbogus

Thanks for your response, I was hopeful that the description would be distinctive enough for idenification but suspected that varieties are as varied as stars in the sky. If I ever find these again I'll remember to photograph them if they're only listed again as "Black Plums" :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like "Stanley Plum", a large deep purple type. Rather oblong, not round.

Turbogus

Hi jal_ut thanks so much for your response. I've been asking locally too and even the Co-op I bought these from don't know. Can you tell me if it is the inner fruit that is deep purple? Large nut inside and succulently sweet? Thanks again! :D

Turbogus

Finally the spring crop is in and here's what it looks like. The taste is slightly differet but pleasant enough
Flavor Rosa Plum.jpg
The case said "Flavor Rosa" but I don't know if that the species or just trade name.

GEOSAN

1st one could be "Black Ice" plum and the red one may be a "Santa Rosa" plum. "Google" them for images to see if you get a match.

Turbogus

Thanks George, it looks like the innards of the Santa Rosa is of the yellow flesh, The Black Ice is more similar but I'm not certain. Maybe I can find 'em at the next farmers market and ask.

Here'[s some better pics of these "Flavor Rosa"
20120621-180129.jpg
20120621-180129.jpg (29.54 KiB) Viewed 910 times

While these aren't the specific plums I'm after they can do until I find the critters from last year.
Last edited by Turbogus on Mon May 26, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turbogus

20120621-180144.jpg

Return to “All Other Fruit”