baileysup
Green Thumb

Can anyone identify this aloe species?

I really like this aloe. I like it's coloration of dark green leaves, with red spines. I've tried to search and find out what it's called to no avail. Any information would be greatly appreciated. This picture does this aloe no justice, as it's colors are much stronger in person. Thanks, and here's the pic:

AngieJingles
Newly Registered

I have this same aloe. My friend gave it to me. I asked her and she said she got it from someone else. I would also like to know what species. I hope you get your answer!

RosemarieRo

You may have to wait for it to grow more before you get a tentative ID on it and then wait for blooms for a positive ID. Could be Aloe marlothii.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks for the reply RoseMarie! You're right. It could be Aloe martholii. Just have to wait and see, but I guess that's what I'll call it for now.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

That is not marlothi because the leaves are not in a full rosette but rather a flattened sort of rosette only on 2 sides. It looks a little like namibensis.

Has it flowered yet? That will help

RosemarieRo

Many Aloe start out in this fan shape & will form a rosette as they grow. This one is similar to several others. It will require patience to determine its ID.

baileysup
Green Thumb

The aloe was younger in that first pic. I took these today, and you can see, it most definitely has a true rosette pattern:

baileysup
Green Thumb

My plants do not get the required light during winter, and that explains the droopy leaves. :(. This aloe does NOT appear to pup though. :(. Is it Aloe Marlothii?

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”