kbell77
Newly Registered

Mystery plant

Hello! I am not only a first time user, but a first time gardener. I am giving it my best shot, but one plant that was given to me has stumped me. My grandmother (whom has Alzheimer's) "helped" with the seedlings, and a few of the ones that did not die were given to me by my mother. I was told that there were tomatoes, watermelon and cantaloupe, and there were about 8 plants in all. Of those 8, two tomato and this one (and a second one just like it) made it through a late freeze in April. I thought it was the remaining cantaloupe, but it is growing in as a bush. Even my mother has no clue, lol. So any help identifying it wold be helpful. Thanks in advance!! :D
Attachments
My mystery plant.
My mystery plant.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I'll go out on a limb and say it looks like something in the nightshade family. It looks an awful lot like some potato-leaf tomatoes I've seen, but enough different to make me wonder....

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Looks like a tomato plant to me, check to see if it has small yellow blossoms. Then again potato plants have blossoms too.

kbell77
Newly Registered

It does have blossoms, but they have not bloomed yet, they should in the next couple of days. At this point they do not have the yellow color of tomato blossoms. They are still green so I am thinking they will be white. Is that any help?

applestar
Mod

It looks like a potato leaf variety (shield shaped leaves instead of regular -scalloped/serrated- leaf) tomato plant. Brandywine tomato, for example, is a potato leaf type. Green tomato flower buds develop yellow petals which eventually open and curl back.

Here is a picture of my tomato seedlings some of which are potato leafs.
image.jpg
...if you look to the right, the seedlings in the aluminum trays are mostly winter squash but there is a melon among them. Very similar looking.

kbell77
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your helpful insights! Applestar, it is very possible that it is a tomato plant like you described, my family doesn't do much anything but tomatoes, melons, and corn, lol. So a different breed of tomato would make sense.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”