Planted my new raspberries today. (Hurting now ) These are Anne (Yellow) and Prelude Red.
Bareroot plants arrived during the 80Â°F heat wave so I stored them in the laundry room where temps would stay cool rather than the garage which was heating up to mid-80's. Ran water through the plastic wrapped roots and then buried them in the long shipping box full of shredded paper they came with, just the canes sticking out at the corners of the cut open lid flaps while taping the lid shut. Watered again during the heat wave by simply pouring water down the canes -- wetting the shredded paper surrounding the root area.
Then we had those days nights dipping down to mid-20's. So I put the box out in the garage near the garage doors so they would stay dormant.
This and that and it's been a whole week since they arrived (and the instructions said to plant within 2-3 days ).
When I unwrapped them today, there were some roots that were a little dry but they were mostly damp with some new shoots and roots starting to grow. So I think I got to them just in time.
Soaked in bucket of de-chlorinated water with a shovelful of compost, then planted in sand and compost enriched soil. Minimum prep -- hopefully won't regret it later, but felt like they HAD to be planted and didn't have the energy or time to do more. Plenty of earthworms cavorting in the soil and the semi-unfinished compost so hopefully that will help. . After watering with the compost infusion used to soak the roots, mulched with moistened shredded paper topped with old hay and straw that spent the winter under a none-weather tight tarp, which should draw more earthworms.
Soil temp was 45Â°F today.