h2o

Cherry Tree Cancer? Or Ants Invasion?

Hi, again, I am a new gardener needs redemption. This is my story part 2.

I happened to keep a photo of my cherry tree last year about the same time. When I compared it with the one I got today. I found the true lump in the trunk grew larger significantly. See the last two photos. :shock:

When I take a closer look into the lump. I am very concerned. I saw a lot of ants coming in and out. :!: :!: :!: See attached 4 ants photos. Yet, as I am totally new to gardening, I am not sure whether I can accuse these ants to be responsible for the lump of my cherry tree.

So, my question is, is this tree lump a normal one? Or is it an ants invasion? If it was truly caused by ants, what is the best solution to remove them without killing my beautiful cherry tree?

If these ants are just innocent travelers like all of us, and they have nothing to do with the tree lump, should I be concerned about the lump and do something about it? Could it be a tree cancer?

Please forgive my ignorance if I sounds like an idiot. As I said, I am a new gardener needs redemption. :wink:

Thanks,
H2O
Attachments
Serious ant invasion?
Serious ant invasion?
Ant eggs in the bottom?
Ant eggs in the bottom?
Ant took away the tree bark?
Ant took away the tree bark?
Ant in the tree bark gap
Ant in the tree bark gap
Closer look of the tree lump
Closer look of the tree lump
Tree lump comparison between last year and this year.
Tree lump comparison between last year and this year.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Your tree belly, complete with tree-belly button is the tree trying to heal over a cut off branch. Next time cut the next branch a bit longer to allow a better heal as the tree discards the old stump. Some folks swear by paste or painting that kinda stump.

Ants crash the party due to the sugary sap prunus and acer make. They neither make nor destroy the party.

h2o

Tree-belly button! I love this sign language. :D

Thank you for the info.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, your lump is the scar from a branch removal, like this:

https://tomofholland.files.wordpress.com ... f-mend.jpg

The lump gets bigger because the tree tries to heal over the scar, adding bark around and over it.

When pruning, it is important not to cut the branch collar, which is the site of the tree's natural healing tissues.

https://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/graphics ... collar.jpg

h2o

Wow. Great learning from guru here. But it's sad thing that I can't undo the mistake. Most likely, I can only embrace the tree belly button for the rest of my gardener life. :oops:

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

Never feel bad as a “new gardener” asking questions. That’s how all of us learn. I'm an “old gardener”, and still have questions all the time. I think that’s one of the great things about gardening—the period of discovery is endless. As to your cherry tree, I agree with the other comments. The tree is simply healing itself, and the ants are taking advantage of the opportunity for a sweet snack. Nothing to worry about here.

Return to “All Other Fruit”