Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tomtoes Squash Peppers Melons Corn Okra

I have tomatoes and 1 tiny bell pepper slightly larger than a golf ball. The pepper might become an omelet tomorrow morning. I should have planted my garden in December but I could not find plants until a month ago. Next year I know where to buy plants in December. Melons are planted in a row 12" apart 15' long and I made plenty of room for vines to the east about 20'x30'.

Corn is in a irrigation planter 30" circle planted with 100 seeds. The farmers in AZ plant corn seeds so close together the corn stalks touch each other. I have never seen corn planted so compact. It is so hot and sunny here maybe that is a trick the farmers know that I don't. It must have something to do with self shade and better pollination. There is a corn field about 5 miles from my house that is 1 mile north/south by 1.2 miles east/west on hwy 85.

Okra is in a 30" planter circle too with irrigation. This will be a new experiment for me.

Onions are in a 30" planter circle too with irrigation. They are 24" to 30" tall.

WOW...double wow, my grape vines are loaded. If these all mature I will have several bushel baskets of red grapes. Wow I never expected anything like this.

Apple tree is loaded too. I am not too excided about the apples but it will be nice to see how they turn out.

Plum, pear, peach trees are all making fruit too. It does not look like much but I can't expect much the first year.

The pomegranate is making fruit too.

The raspberry and blackberry vines are 25 feet long all over the place. I have never seen blackberries or raspberries that vine like water melons. They blossomed a few weeks. Wait and see what happens.

Weather here has been, 90s 2 weeks ago, 80s last week, 90s again this week. NO rain, NO clouds and 1 moon eclipse. LOL. We had 1 day of 100 degree weather so far. 5 days of 25 mile wind last week that felt real nice. Wind here is different than any place I every been it is like continuous blowing air from a fan.

ArtB

You used to live in southern Illinois ,right? Well then you know I'm just gettin' started here between late frosts :x . Nice looking garden & good post.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

ArtB wrote:You used to live in southern Illinois ,right? Well then you know I'm just gettin' started here between late frosts :x . Nice looking garden & good post.
Yeah I know. You probably can't plant anything until about May 1st. I remember snow the last day of May 1967 in Mt Carmel Illinois. My Grandfather use to try and plant his garden in May he lived in Fairfield Ill. When I lived in Carbondale I planted last part of May.

When I lived in TN I planted part of my garden about April 15 to 20 and the rest a few weeks later.

Seasons are backwards in AZ. It is too hot to grow much in the summer here. Water melons, onions, garlic, herbs, love the extreme hot dry weather. My AZ garden won't last very much longer about June it will to hot for tomatoes and bell peppers will just set there until Oct then they will grow. Melons will do good all summer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn: plant it too close you get lots of stalks, no ears. Planted just the right spacing every stalk will produce 2 ears, (that's why they call them ears). sometimes a third smaller one. Plant corn too sparse, it will produce ears, but won't pollinate well and the kernels on the ears will be spotty or absent.

100 seeds in a 30 inch round planter? Ten would be better. IMO

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Corn: plant it too close you get lots of stalks, no ears. Planted just the right spacing every stalk will produce 2 ears, (that's why they call them ears). sometimes a third smaller one. Plant corn too sparse, it will produce ears, but won't pollinate well and the kernels on the ears will be spotty or absent.

I was born and raised in the corn bell of Illinois. We never planted corn closer than about 6" in rows 30" apart. I was freaked out when I saw AZ corn so close together the stalks tough each other. What is the reason for that????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-ZnkeXI7c

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Corn: plant it too close you get lots of stalks, no ears. Planted just the right spacing every stalk will produce 2 ears, (that's why they call them ears). sometimes a third smaller one. Plant corn too sparse, it will produce ears, but won't pollinate well and the kernels on the ears will be spotty or absent.

I talked to a few people about AZ corn, this is what I found out. They grow corn for cattle feed. The whole crop is made into silage. My garden will be gone in June when temperatures reach 110 degrees. You all garden will just be getting started.

https://extension.missouri.edu/p/G4590

ArtB

I always get a jump on the cool weather stuff with a few covered raised beds & a unheated cheap greenhouse from Menards
Attachments
DSC01473.JPG
DSC01470.JPG

ArtB

Above pic last month,this one yesterday. :shock:
Attachments
DSC01481.JPG
DSC01480.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”