PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Received an order of live plants in the mail

I ordered these back in FEB from Territorial Seeds and got them today. They said it would ship first half of April. I was nervous about ordering live plants because I was thinking I'd get these dead looking plants. Well, this is what I got in the mail:

Not bad. BTW, the two plants are Bulgarian Carrot Pepper and Mulato Isleno (a variety of Poblano). Can't wait to plant them outside.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Wow so cool! Surprising how they came to you so nice looking like that! Where did you order from? :)

grrlgeek

Oh Boy! That's awesome. I, too, have February-ordered plants pending for the "first half of April" from Territorial. We're both in SoCal, so hopefully mine will come soon too. NICE packaging job so that's also one less thing to worry about!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

grrlgeek wrote:Oh Boy! That's awesome. I, too, have February-ordered plants pending for the "first half of April" from Territorial. We're both in SoCal, so hopefully mine will come soon too. NICE packaging job so that's also one less thing to worry about!
The other day I was wondering when they were gonna ship. I checked my email that day and had a notification that something shipped FedEx from Territorial Seeds. So keep a lookout for that shipment notification.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Countryladiesgardens wrote:Wow so cool! Surprising how they came to you so nice looking like that! Where did you order from? :)
A company called Territorial Seeds.

grrlgeek

Mine arrived yesterday! Everything looks healthy and happy; just 2 broken leaves off a plant with longer stems. They were a little thirsty but they perked up within the hour. LOL, no need to check my email for shipping notices... I have this forum!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Nice plants - great packaging. I always hesitate to order live plants. You live in SOCAL - where did the plants ship from?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Oregon.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Probably would not make it to south Louisiana in the same condition.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well, I have done two orders now of live plants. The other order came from an ebay seller named Wellspring Gardens. Ordered a dwarf cavenish banana tree and a dwarf mulberry tree. Packaged similarly and came in great shape. I think for the most part if you buy from a reputable seller things should be ok. I've even shipped aquatic plants before and they arrived fine to their recipients. I think as long as plants are protected from damage and kept moist they can handle several days of shipping.

mattie g
Green Thumb

I've ordered live plants each of the last three years and have had no issues with any of them. The first two years I got plants from a nursery in Delaware, and this year I got them from a farm in Missouri.

Last year's plants were absolute monsters, and I was excited to order them again, but they more than doubled the price of the plants, so I wrote to the nursery. They said they took a hit last year because of shipping costs, and had to adjust them much higher this year. I then decided to go with the farm in Missouri after some pretty hefty searching. The plants arrived a week ago in great shape, and are now being hardened before planting (probably this weekend).

I'd love to start my own plants from seeds, but I don't have a starting setup and I'm not even sure I have enough room in my garden to make it financially worthwhile to start from seed. So for now - between the internet orders and a high-quality nursery a half mile from my house - I'm pretty happy with where I stand. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get around to starting from seed...

Return to “Pepper Forum”