Kenna718

Black Cherry in City Pickers Container

Hi! I am gardening for the first time, using pots and vertical planters on my very small urban patio - 10x10. My original plan was to plant 2 tomato plants in a City Pickers container (https://www.homedepot.com/p/CITY-PICKERS ... /202563845), which is 24.5x20.5, about 11.25 gallons of dirt (plus 2 gallon reservoir under the grate), and is on castors so I can move it for max sun.

I went to our local farmers market and one of the tomato growers had her leftover seedlings and I impulsively got one. It's a 12" tall black cherry tomato, and after searching online I'm worried that I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Looks like it can get pretty gigantic.

Is it possible to plant another tomato seedling in the box? If so, is there a recommendation on what variety to plant? I don't have a lot of space so I really want to maximize. Maybe have them in opposite corners? Would I need two separate cages or could they share some sort of trellis?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If its the Black Cherry everyone else has it's more like 12 feet not inches tall. If you are going to plant in that container I would probably go with one. Some nice dwarfs would work awesome in those.

Most everything with "cherry" in it gets prolific. Good luck

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You can grow it in there. It will not get as big, but it will still get pretty large and give a lot of fruit. I have seen those with 2 giant indeterminate tomatoes covered in fruit. I looked in to getting them and planned on planting 2 in each.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Put it in the pot and give it a try. Black Cherry tends to split with too much water, so be gentle. Let the soil (not garden dirt, I hope) dry out a bit before watering. And every ten days or two weeks give the plant a low dose of fertilizer in solution since the nutrients tend to wash out of the pots. In ground Black Cherries do grow to 12 feet and produce way more fruits than you can eat. Much less production in pots, but still plenty.

Kenna718

Thank you for all of the advice, sounds like one black cherry is all this particular 11 gallon container could handle. However the box is very wide in both directions, but shallow (9.5"). Should I be worried that the roots will grow down into the water reservoir of the SWC planter or will they spread out in the width and breadth of the box?

So many variables! It's a bit overwhelming.

applestar
Mod

The roots will spread out but will -no doubt- also grow down into the water reservoir. ...but that's not a bad thing really, unless you allow the reservoir to dry out, which will kill the roots and cause the branches being supplied by those roots to wilt or die.

I would go with the one tomato plant in the center and basil or maybe parsley (chives is another possibility) in the four corners. You can always dig up the herbs and move them later. You could also try planting onions along the edges but be prepared to pull them as green onions if the tomato needs the room.

You are going to need support for the tomato. What do you plan to do?

Kenna718

I am still researching support options. I was planning on getting something like a 5' cage. I am a little nervous about overwatering or underwatering. Some sources I see say let the soil dry out a little between waterings. It rained a lot on Monday and the soil still looks pretty drenched. I am using Organic Choice Miracle Grow brand Potting Mix.

Kenna718

The potting mix in my container has been damp since Sunday when is poured down rain, is that a problem? I've gotten mixed comments if the soil should stay watered or dry out between waterings.

applestar
Mod

I thought this is a self watering container. Soil in SWC always stays moist. That's why some people feel they are not good for all plants, though some plants thrive in them.

Kenna718

Yes it's self watering. It just surprised me on how damp it's stayed. It's ok for black cherry tomato then?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Yes, it should be great. Tomatoes like a constant supply of water.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:Yes, it should be great. Tomatoes like a constant supply of water.

especially Cherry's.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”