GuppyGardener

What is your favorite Pepper?

Hello All!

Being a new member and a new gardener I've decided to add a pepper or two to my first garden. I would like to know all of YOUR favorites with a short description of heat level and taste if you'd like. I'm looking for a mildly hot pepper that is good for stuffing and cooking. Please share!

imafan26
Mod

The most popular pepper here is the hawaiian pepper which is the same as tabasco pepper. It is medium hot and used for everything from soup, stews, salsa, pickles, fenadene, and chile pepper water. It also can live a very long time in the ground. I have one that is over 10 years old.

Serrano, similar to Jalapeno, but Jalapeno's lately have not been consistent, some were hot some not on the same plant. Serrano have been more reliable

Anaheim peppers good for stuffing and chile rellenos, and not a bad frying pepper. It has only a little heat 500 scovilles so it isn't very spicy.

Sweet banana pepper. It is a good frying pepper, more productive and less trouble to grow than bell peppers

Chinese Giant Bell Pepper a large heirloom pepper. The only thing is here none of the bell peppers last very long so the most I wll get are about 5 peppers. Other places people say that peppers last until frost.
California Wonder, Yolo Wonder and Yellow bells have also done fairly well athough they are smaller than Chinese Giants.

Cayenne. This is about as hot as I like it. The pepper pods can be dried. Dried pepper flakes are even hotter but while the pepper is hot is still has a nice flavor

applestar
Mod

I'm still trying to find out. :lol:
Did you see this thread? :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 81&t=56633

GuppyGardener

I already have sweet bananas but I'm thinking of ordering some anaheim. For whatever reason bell peppers don't sit right with my stomach.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I you want a mildly hot stuffer Nu Mex Big Jim is great they get huge and have a mild heat. It is a very productive plant bred by the New Mexico State Unviersity. The peppers get 6-8 or so long and big and fat enough to stuff.

One of my fav sweets is Corno Di Toro.

GuppyGardener

Yeah I keep hearing those corno's mentioned a lot. I also saw this beautiful pepper called a "marconi" I think?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Marconi is a good one. No heat, it is a sweet pepper.

Giant Marconi is a favorite but I have both, each season for about the last 10. I really like the Italian sweets. Besides the flavor, they just seem to have nicer fruit in my garden.

Super Chili comes through and ripen each year. That can be a problem here with the cool summer nights. For a hot one, they never fail.

Jalapeno is a favorite flavor. I usually have Jalapeno M but that seed failed for me this year (old). I grabbed a packet of Early Jalapeno at the garden center. Just glad I got 'em.

Steve

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sweet bananas, jalapeno, bell pepper - green, red, yellow - love the visual variety in my dishes, cayenne, Tobasco - in moderation. My stomach can not handle the really hot peppers.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have several favorite peppers!
Poblano or Ancho as they are also called.
Anaheim, Sweet Banana, Cubanelle, Pepperoncini, and the usual bell pepper.

Unfortunately, some get hot and are not edible before I am ready for them to be wasted.
Cubanelle, Pepperoncini and bells are always good.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I tend to favor the real hot peppers like Habanero and Ghost Peppers, but that's just me because my wife and her 2 kids can't eat them. I do grow several varieties and they like Belgian Hot Wax peppers, which can easily be confused with Sweet Banana Peppers and they also like Jalapeno's since they love to snack on Nachos and other Mexican style snacks.

I grow bell peppers to use in my cooking since being from La. it is almost considered a sin to not use all of what is known as "The Trinity" of onions, bell pepper and celery in just about all soups, stews, gravies and gumbos.

The good thing about most pepper plants is they don't take up much room. However, my Ghost and Habanero pepper plants got huge last year at about 4 ft. tall and a similar diameter. All other pepper plants were much smaller with the Cayenne being the smallest at only about 2 ft. tall with a similar spread.

imafan26
Mod

I was disappointed with the Jalapeno M seeds I got. The peppers weren't very hot. In fact on the same plant, only one in five peppers were hot. I tried different seeds and same thing. Early is a milder Jalapeno, M is supposed to be hotter. I don't remember how the Early did.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I recall that the Early Jalapeno that I once grew had quite large peppers but not very many of them.

Mucho Nacho jalapenos were in my garden for several years but they are too hot for me.

I once grew Fooled You jalapenos. I got them mixed up while harvesting with the hot jalapenos! Decided I was just complicating life having those . . .

Steve

grrlgeek

I had to think about this one for a few weeks... but my fave is the Scotch Bonnet. It's the active ingredient of the traditional Barbadian Pepper Sauce, which I was raised on.
1484-2T.jpg
1484-2T.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
We started growing them so I could try to make my own, but hubby went online 2 years ago and ordered me a 2-litre bottle of the good stuff directly from Barbados. It lasts forever, and I'm not even 1/3 of the way through it even after doling out little jars to the family. But the peppers work in everything to add a little heat.

Honourable mention is any Hungarian or Italian frying pepper. This year I'm growing, respectively, Beaver Dam and Stocky Red Rooster.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Favorite? that's a hard one isn't it? The list is growing. Looking for one to stuff, think about cubanelle. We traditionally stuff bell, but cubanelle, though smaller, are very nice.

Richard

Return to “Pepper Forum”