Susan W
Greener Thumb

Summer savory

I haven't grown summer savory before, so figured to try for this season. The seeds germinated fine, grew. They are tall, slow to get 1st set of true leaves, and slower yet to do more. They are in the same conditions (light, temp etc) as a variety of other plants. They are outside as much as possible now, sheltered dappled sun.

My question is if this is how they grow and do.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have summer savory I started from seed this year. It is doing fine, but grows kind of lanky and sprawly. I recently cut the tops off them to encourage them to bush out a little more instead of being just one long sprawly stem. It is very fragrant though, if you just brush the leaves. I have mine out, it has even been through some frost and did okay.

imafan26
Mod

I have grown them before, and they are lanky by nature unless they are cut. They are less bitter than winter savory but they are annuals.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the heads up on the summer savory. I'll keep messing with mine and see if something comes of the starts. In checking on-line looks like a real easy herb to grow from seed and does well. HaHa!!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”