rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Planted outdoors! YAY!

We are having a beautiful spring day, sunny and 65 degrees. I decided to check if the ground could be worked. Tried in the shadier back yard and it was hard as a rock. But then I went out to the sunny front yard bed and it was perfect! Soft and very loose and fine. I had some of last fall's compost still sitting around and it had gotten very mellow being out all winter, very fine textured. So I put a little bit of that down and planted a row of carrot seed right into it. So one 8' row of carrot seed planted. It's a start!

And 5 trays of cold weather stuff came back outside in the sun, finally. So now I can start filling up the space under the lights where they were. Tons of stuff has been just waiting to be potted up until I had room. Yay, spring!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Re: Planted outdoors! YAY!

Good for you! :D glad to hear spring is coming at last.

...36°F here though with overnight of 27°F in the forecast, but 50's might be along over the weekend. :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh oops, I just realized that says 65, I meant to say 55! Still nice and spring-y.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I did a bit of pots and planting myself today. After last weeks arctic blast for the umpteenth time (down in the teens), messed with some parsley pots. This after doing the farmers market, pretty, people starting to come out. There are 10+ parsley pots, the large 16" ones. I cleaned up about 4, taking out the top few inches and any leftover parsley roots etc, and that went to the 'enriched dirt pile aka compost'. I was happy to see a few little worms in the pots, so figure if there are wee ones there are bigger ones down deeper!

Freshen that top few inches with my whatever mix -top soil (bagged, has dirt, ground up trees, sand, stuff), black cow, cotton burr. I'll add some sifted stuff from compost pile later. Parsley starts bought. I can get them to start, but not get anywhere. So, buy the pots at the box store with 4 in a pot. Again, need to go 0 - 60 to have fresh cut at the market.
Have fun!
Susan

gardeningwithe

I was able to get out and plant some carrots, parsley, a lettuce blend and kale :) super exciting!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Some great temps here in central Alabama, but a couple of cold nights coming Wed and Thurs. I planted some kale, red romaine and regular romaine. Put in pots this morning, and by midday I decided to put them in the shade because I was not sure how much sun they were used to.

Springtime is coming.
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are having a beautiful spring day, sunny and 65. (It will get cold again!)

I planted spinach and broccoli plants, onion sets, pea and chard seeds, celery plants.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

It's in the low 40's here for a high with winds at 15 to 20 MPH and lows in the teens. Brrr! :(

I'm hoping our weather will improve in the next two weeks and get the ground softened and dried out enough to plant my broccoli and Kohlrabi out in the garden and to plant my snow peas.

Right now the ground is soggy and cold with only 2 inches thawed out. COME ON SUN!!!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

couple spring planting pix :)

top one is one of my 12 year old raised beds from pine fence posts. I will sand and recoat the outside sometime this season, partly to help protect it and partly just for cosmetic purposes. It is planted with celery, onions and seeds of chard and peas and has a dormant lemon balm at the end.

bottom one is the bed in the middle of my front lawn. The space in the middle that is still covered in fall leaves is where tomato plants will go. On the left side it has broccoli mixed in with some onions, on the right side is onions, spinach, garlic, with carrot seeds planted in the row with the garlic. Once the spinach and broccoli are done I will fill in with peppers and basil and a parsley plant. The parsley from last year that should have been in its blooming year, didn't make it through the winter. Too bad, because it is really good for attracting the little braconid wasps that parasitize the tomato hornworms. I'll have to put something else in there for that.

applestar
Mod

I REALLY like the look of those raised bed frames. I think I may make some for my front yard edible landscaping as well.

Your posts are reminding me it's time to get out there myself. :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Your posts are reminding me it's time to get out there myself. :D
:)

I do love my fence post raised beds - no one else has 12 year old wooden raised bed boxes. The ones at the last place I lived that I made out of boards lasted about 3 years.

applestar
Mod

Above freezing for the next ten days. :D

It was gorgeous yesterday and I puttered around. The ground is still very soggy underneath though starting to dry on the top. Compost pile needs to be turned to be useful. But I did scrape some out and freshened the windowboxes on the patio and sowed some short Little Marvel peas, lettuce, arugula, and spinach.

I also scratched up a corner of the Sunflower House under the arch trellis to pile loose soil, and sowed Garden Beauty snow peas. But the soil temperature reading was only 34°F there.

My tray of 8 broccoli/cauliflower/kohlrabi stayed out for the night, and hopefully I will be ready to plant them after this weekends rain has dried. :bouncey:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful day yesterday and I was out planting more. Parsley, celery, cilantro, spinach seed, more onion sets, chives. Today it is raining and is supposed to rain all day. So probably no more planting today or tomorrow, because even though it is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow (sunny and 55), the ground may be too wet.

Brought more plants out including summer savory, dill, chamomile. But the newest ones will probably come back in tonight... predicted for tonight: 31 degrees and SNOW!

(But we put the snow shovel away already. Snow when it comes now is light and melts again quickly, now that the ground is warming up.) We are now about two weeks away from average last frost date! YAY!!

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Very envious :!:

We are getting warmer but have some nights bottoming out in the upper 20's still. The ground is soggy and with the rain this weekend, it will be awhile before it is dry.

Looking forward to next week there is a good chance I'll get something planted in the garden as the days are warm and the night (after Monday) bottom out in the low 30's. No rain scheduled for Tuesday through Thursday so I'm hoping the garden will dry out and thaw out enough to plant. :)

My first batch of broccoli has 4 - 6 true leaves and is ready for the ground - so now I just need the ground to cooperate!

Wish me luck :)

applestar
Mod

Yes! Good luck and have fun making plans until then. :D

I don't know how it is with other members, but I sometimes get very inspired by posting about my garden. It's like posting and describing makes them closer to reality. Anyway, after I posted this morning, I went outside and turned -- that is re-piled -- the compost pile into the second bin, and shoveled the mostly finished stuff -- about 2 cu. ft. -- in my wheeled bucket to put away in the shed.... Just ahead of the rain. It was starting to sprinkle as I put everything away in the shed.

Now I can sit back and enjoy the sound of the rain since there were unevenly dry leaves and portions in the pile that needed a good soaking. 8)

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Applestar, after reading your post this morning I'll have to go check my compost again today. It has been a frozen block every time I check it in the past.

Maybe I'll be able to get some "chunks" moving around....lol

gardeningwithe

I get exciting reading other people's posts. It motivates me. We've got some indoor starts, cool weather crops planted outside and we are in the process of tearing out an old bush (I sort of hate to see it go- I don't like tearing down plants, but it is really the only good place to put the circle garden and my husband hates it when he is mowing). Then we will prepare the soil for the circle garden ( I think this will take awhile as we have to get the roots from the bush out- oh dear not sure how great it will produce this year, but my 9 yr. old has his heart set on us using his garden plan). I find I am feeling antsy though and am ready to just put it all out there... don't worry I am holding myself back (but just barely). :lol:

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”