applestar
Mod

Do you overwinter geraniums?

This is a geranium /pelargonium that my MIL gave me a while ago. She had overwintered a full basket size (3 plants) in her basement and gave it to me in full bloom next spring. When fall came I couldn't bear to let it go so brought it in to overwinter, and have done so for four years now.

So far, I have tried keeping it nearly dry in the unheated garage, taking cuttings, and keeping them coddled in heated indoor greenhouse shelving with full spectrum lights, and -this winter- putting them up against an uncovered SE window. Here it is looking very happy this morning :D
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I just bring them in, cut back any blooming stems and set them in my best window + supplemental light spot. They bloom all winter with little care.

applestar
Mod

There! Geraniums are pretty easy :D

...so if you get some this spring, remember to bring your favorites in to overwinter in the fall. :wink:

Consider getting scented geraniums too. I tried getting something like three different kinds one year and none of them wow'd me enough to keep. I kept one of those "mosquito repellent" geranium one winter but decided it wasn't worth it next winter. And I had a variegated geranium that I *wanted* to keep but it got drowned during the season when the location the pot was sitting got flooded.

I want to revisit growing scented geraniums because there are so many different scented cultivars available. 8)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”