jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its A Start

The ground was bare between storms, so I planted a row of parsnips today, February 28.

We will see if they make it and how they do.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have never planted parsnips. They are related to carrots so they should do good in your area you probably have the best soil and best climate for them. I use to sprinkle carrot seeds in the snow and they always did good in TN. This has been a crazy winter for the whole country, nice weather will be here soon.

applestar
Mod

Oh that's neat! First crop in are parsnips?
Have you tried them this early before? I did read somewhere that they have a fairly low germination temp requirement.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't know that I have ever planted them in February, but the rule is to plant them as early as you can get on your plot. They will take three weeks to germinate.

gardeningwithe

I tried parsnips last year, but planted them later. I didn't know anything about them. Perhaps I should get them out soon! It didn't seem to have a good germination rate- do you think it was too hot?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

gardeningwithe, The parsnips don't germinate well in warm weather. Try planting some now. (They usually take 3 weeks to germinate.)

I don't know how well they will do in your climate. Anyone near grow them that you know of? Can't hurt anything to try it.

Parsnips are usually grown full season and harvested after the first frost. Seems the cold makes them sweeter. My Father used to leave them in the ground and harvest in the spring, about a full year from planting them. They do winter over, and if let to grow the second year will bloom and make seed so you can collect your own seed.

Though I just planted some seed, I think I will wait a month and plant another row just for the test to see how each planting does.

gardeningwithe

No, I don't know anyone who has planted them, but then again they aren't big around here that I know of either. I didn't even know much about them until a few years ago. I'll try them now and see. Carrots grow ok here so maybe parsnips will too?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It may help to know that gardeners who didn't expect parsnips to do well, have been pleasantly surprised.

I used to think of parsnips as something that a UK gardener would grow and figured that here in the Wild West, it sure couldn't be much like the United Kingdom! The parsnips didn't seem to care.

They are probably more trustworthy at sprouting than "unattended" carrot seed. I like the flavor just fine but I did have one year out of about 10 or 12 when the flavor was off. I blamed the variety because I've grown quite a few different ones, without a hitch. One thing, I bet fresh seed is important and enough water and soil fertility for those nice big roots.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Parsnips are sounding more and more like carrots. When I lived in TN I sprinkled carrot seeds in the snow or mud and they came up several weeks later when the weather was right. Carrots got woody in hot weather and had no flavor. About a month after first frost carrots were no longer woody and had a good carrot flavor. I love to eat carrot tops in salad.

From what I am reading here parsnips appear to do the same thing as carrots. I have never eaten a parsnips, this thread has gotten me interested in trying them.

gardeningwithe

I have never tried them raw, but they are delicious roasted. I didn't know much about them until I saw a recipe with them and thought I might as well try them. I bet home grown is even better. Maybe they just aren't well known in good ole TN

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”