Corecontax
Newly Registered

*Help and Advice on Mandarin Tree* !HELP!

I bought this Mandarin tree about 2months ago I'm not too sure on the age but it was in quite a poor, unhappy state at the time. I have took care of it to the best of my ability making sure the soil stays moist throughout each week but not over watering (I water once every 7-10 days as our flat is quite warm with the central heating on) The tree is in a room with a very large window so I think it is receiving sufficient sunlight. I am worried because mold has started to appear on the soil and it has increased a lot in the last couple of days, why is there mold?! what can I do to get my tree back to a healthy condition?! your help would be really appreciated!

Also I haven't managed to find much information on a Mandarin tree in terms of the Bonsai style does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
20140127_161517.jpg
20140127_161517.jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
20140127_161459.jpg

Corecontax
Newly Registered

Apologies for the rotation of the images I am not sure why this happened! they were vertical when I viewed them. :roll:

Oh and also I forgot to mention....the weather hasn't been great and I do live in....England...so if probably is not getting enough sunlight at the moment!!

imafan26
Mod

You are growing the tree like a bonsai, but it does not look like bonsai soil. What is your media?

Corecontax
Newly Registered

Sorry what do you mean by media, I bought the tree from a garden center in the bonsai section and was under the impression that it was Bonsai!! uh oh! maybe they have planted it in the wrong type of soil?!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Core, Be welcome here!

If there is any first lesson hobbyists learn with brutal certainty it is the fine soil grain of peat or loess based potting soil will slowly suffocate trees in shallow pots. its particle size is too small and trees in northern hemisphere drown. (its called anoxia).

A new growers ability to hear and heed this immutable fact, will dictate how many trees they kill before learning and heeding it.

If you lived in Saigon, or Bankok you could use finer grained soil.

Now my guess is your "mandarin" is some kind of citrus. I will await your confirmation.

Any deciduous tree and most tropicals (like citrus or fig) need supplimental light indoors.

Media in this case is what-cher dirt is.

Corecontax
Newly Registered

Thanks for your advice so far, from what I understand it is indeed a citrus, but I cant be 100% sure as there is no way of me finding out, all I know is the tag which was on the tree when I purchased it which said it was of a Chinese origin and Mandarin Tree :| not sure how helpful that really is, I am quite saddened by whats happening to my tree!

applestar
Mod

So far in my experience, citrus loses leaves when overwatered or when they are too warm in dry air with reduced light during the winter.

I think it's a mistake to leave the soil moist all week -- let it feel dry-ish to touch before watering again, but place on humidity tray AND mist every morning and possibly in the evening. Get a thermo/hygro combo meter and place it by the tree to monitor.

If not enough light put a directional reading type lamp on it fitted with 6500K at least 100W brightness equivalent CFL bulb ...or look into other means of providing supplemental light -- hanging pendant light? 24 inch under cabinet light mounted vertically or horizontally on the wall? Whatever your situation would allow. The light bulb needs to be at least 3 inches from the foliage or closer but CFL bulbs and t-8/t-5's get hot enough to burn when touching.

The white stuff -- are you sure they are mold? If so maybe the moss died from lack of humidity and got moldy?

Be sure to check for scale insects -- waxy olive green/brown bumps on branches, leaf stems and leaf veins. They come out of nowhere and infest my citruses during the winter, though the outdoor Garden Patrol (beneficial insects) seem to take care of them while the plants are vacationing outside during the warmer months.

I bookmarked a website for ID'ing citrus based on leaf and growth characteristics on the old iPad but haven't transferred over all the info yet. I'll post it later if I can find it.

affgar

That is a strange looking Mandarine if that's what it is .....

If it is a citrus I think you don't have much hope keeping it indoors.
Are you sure the white stuff is not salt or fertiliser build up? In many areas continued watering with tap water can contaminate soil & create major imbalances... depending on your tap water.

It does look like it needs to be potted up. I would try to remove most of that soil, check the condition of the roots; for root rot, or healthy roots etc .. Is the pot & soil freely draining?

Could pot up into a larger pot with good potting mix. Could also add a little slow release fertiliser & some lime. Citrus trees love calcium & a higher PH.

It is funny how different some plants can look to how they should, when grow in less than ideal conditions. :eek:

affgar

I don't know hey ... but you could have a Lilac bush. Syringa plant.

The other thing it could possibly be is a Broad Leaf Privet ... can't really tell from the image quality. And, as I said, plants can look very strange sometimes in certain conditions.

Pretty sure it is Syringa Vulgaris ... will have to see if it flowers or buds at all.

A good prune will help a little. Make sure you cut whole branches back to stem branches it will look neater & cleaner.

You could try giving it a blend foliar feed ie some worm juice/seaweed extract mixed with a higher nitrogen content, fairly organic product like nitrosol.

Spray on leaves every few days. Wipe leaves & make sure they are free from dust (can affect photosynthesis, light transmission, breathing ability).

It actually may be in ok condition .... Sorry about previous post(don't rush out & do anything radical). I was thinking Mandarine/Citrus :()

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”