Happy Days

Re: What are your plans for gardening in 2014?

Lots of onions, leeks, garlic, greens of various kinds, sunchokes, cardoon, peas, carrots, banana peppers, Giant Marconi peppers, parsley, amaranth and celosia, mints, other herbs. :mrgreen:

Happy Days

Nice tomato harvest! :D

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Thank you!

(Meant to say 2014, too late to edit.)

gardeningwithe

We have been sorting through seeds and have decided to expand our little gardening area. My son is big into gardening and has designed a circle garden with the center being three sisters, then potted plants a bit out from that and the edges with carrots and lettuce. I don't know how well it will work once the three sisters really gets going (which is why I convinced him we needed potted flowers not planted), but it's a very cool idea for an (almost- just a few days!) 9 yr. old. He has wanted to do the three sisters for awhile, and also decided he wanted to be able to walk in a circle and see different things- flowers, root crops. For his sake a I hope it works out. Also we will be trying heirlooms, winter sowing and saving seeds. Happy planning everyone!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You certainly must have been doing things right to have a 9 yr old boy who is "big in to gardening" and coming up with creative ideas like that. Just give everything plenty of room and it will be beautiful.

You might also want to check out applestar's tomato spiral garden:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 80&t=52230

gardeningwithe

Rainbow gardener - I don't know about "right" we've had our share of things that did not do well, but we pick what to plant together and just enjoy the process. We've only been doing it maybe four years and the first three were in a small area with too much shade, but he was hooked after the first cucumber. He took the first one- let it grow big, picked it and named it (no joke) Roy E. Boy and carried it around until it was rotten. It was cute, but once he saw what happens he decided he should eat the food. :lol: Really last year was the only year several things grew alright (we expanded a lil), but it made he super excited for this yr. I just really want his circle garden to work. Thanks for showing me the spiral tomato garden- E loved it and it certainly gave us ideas. :) Thanks for the compliment though- I really just got lucky- for the most part he's a pretty happy, thoughtful and creative boy. haha I guess if I have another it will be a demon ;)

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Now that I am further along in the planning stages I have decided to expand the garden this year. I just finished planting 100 bare root onions. I am to that from growing no onions last year :) . I am also doing more edible landscaping. My onions are all around my meyer lemon in one of my front flower beds.

gardeningwithe

I love how so many have plans for expansion or growing new things. Gardening is an evolution I believe :) Good luck everyone!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have felt that it takes me about 3 years to get a new piece of ground in real good shape for gardening. I'm not quite "marking time" on the ground for those seasons - it depends on what I grow there. Green beans seem to do okay, even corn . . . I can remember a couple of new gardens years ago when I had not only a new garden but was a new gardener. I grew turnips in those two places . . !

I don't mean that was ALL I was trying to grow but . . . those turnips sure grew good! Luckily, I had livestock then and they appreciated all those huge turnips.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Still snowing. The only thing growing is ice. Temperature this morning is 30 degrees F.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Heat wave! :) Temperature this morning was 16. Yesterday morning it was minus 4 (wind chill about minus 20). Not too often in winter that we are colder than you are in your mile high garden!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Today is 72 out by us :) .

countrykat

I'm going to plant a asparagus bed this spring. I ordered 2 or 3 packs of Jersey Knight. Going to plant a couple kinds of pickling cukes, 3 types of tomatos. celery, cabbage, radishes and some green onions. Can't wait, cabin fever has set in.

LA47
Green Thumb

I'm going to take part of our garden and plant 25 Jersey Knight asparagus plants. I'm planting 6 different heirloom tomatoes. We are cutting back on the amount of seeds we plant as, last year we gave away bushels of green beans, onions, carrots, zucchini, beets and tomatoes to our local senior citizens. Plus I canned and froze way more than we can use in a year. It's taken 2 gardening seasons for me to realize that, since we moved, we don't have family around to share with.
I am also planting smaller easy care shrubs instead of so many annual flowers and even removing some of the higher care perennial flowers. This old back can only stand so much bending over, but I'm not ready for the rocking chair yet. :wink:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

4-5 variety of tomatoes, 4-5 variety of peppers, already got garlic, and Candy and Red Bottle onions in the ground, ginger, turmeric, kra chai dum, cukes, squash, melons, maybe some sugar snap peas, kale and chinese broccoli, dill, 3 kinds of basil, sunflowers, marigolds, maybe some impatiens, culantro, chamomile, maybe some leeks, and that is about it.

bwhite829

I posted my plans in a standalone thread.

Yesterday I moved the raised beds and decided to wait until my wife approved of the location this time. Last year when I put them in and filled them up when she was away she decided she really hated it so she put her stamp of approval. It'll be easier to water, organize, trellis, mow the yard, AND it'll have about 2x the sun in some areas of the garden.

I've started tomatoes last saturday and they are sprouting good. I'm also trying to get peppers started...I don't have a warming mat so I'm using a heating pad that has an auto shut off so I'm turning it back on any time I can....last year I wasn't able to start any peppers so we'll see how it goes O_O. I've got 4 sweet potatoes from last year's harvest that I have under lights and in mason jars like I've seen on youtube that will hopefully give me plenty of slips to get a good start....

I've just picked up some bush beans that I'm going to give a go before it gets too hot for them...I'll be doing squash and cukes as well as some okra.

gardeningwithe

LA47- It's better to know when to slow down so you can enjoy having a manageable garden instead of doing too much! (and growing too much :P ) And rearranging garden plans can be so fun- It's like having a brand new outdoor space. Hope all goes well everyone.

Lots of asparagus beds going down this year- yummy

bwhite829 Glad you like the new rearrangement of beds- hate that you had to move them all, but if it works better that is good. Also whoohoo getting a start on the tomatoes- feels good doesn't it.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

The thought of moving my raised beds makes me cringe.... But if I am being honest, I didn't place them as well as I could have. I dread the possibility.

LA47
Green Thumb

Last year we were able to get some wonderful aged manure and soil. I'm going to check and see how much we can get this year and start making raised vegetable beds. Our soil has a lot of clay and rocks in it so even 6 inch raised beds would help the plants and my back.
Has any one tried the pallet planter? I'm thinking of planting strawberries in one to see how it works.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”