valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

rainbow, Teburulating

You have to start with Tuberculation the depositing of material/ corrosion. First I was in the process of taking the C out because the process would be removing not depositing.

C represents Ciefee/Coffee=Coffee Goodness.

Removing the C would leave a word that to a person who "was very good with words" might think misspelled.

Therefore being a coined word the spelling of this action is forever to be spelled: TEBURULATING!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

Sun is out, but because of our late return to the mountain the road up to the barn snowed. That means no taking the hay bales up with the tractor.
We the four of us will be taking it up by sled. Wifey and the girls figured out how to do it, they sled the bales up, than push the bales up a ladder to the barn overhead. They say it's not a problem.

The temperature is up to 28degrees.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a glimpse out of Laura Ingalls Wilder book 8) :D

We are having crazy weather -- unseasonal high of 70°F today (windy and blustery, too) and forecast low of 28°F (windchill of 16°) Tuesday night :shock: ...some might think its the cold air from the North Pole... :()

PaulF
Greener Thumb

On the night of the winter solstice which is the start of calendar winter as opposed to December 1 which is the start of meteorological winter (real first day of winter) we got dumped on by six inches (or for the Canadians, 15 centimeters) of that nasty white stuff. My hopes of a nice brown Christmas have been ruined. As much as I hate winter, I know Spring is on the way.

valley
Greener Thumb

Skiing Paul, you can't ski without snow. Some people ski for a living, you can't ski on brown stuff. But I love Spring.

We exchange presents on the 25th than count the 12 days of Christmas until the 5th of January , and venerate the Holy Birth.

Christ is born and reveal. Blessed is the revelation of Christ.

Have a happy, Holy Christmas.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:>

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Like applestar, being whipsawed. High nearly 70 on Sun, 37 today, 26 tomorrow. And low tonight 18, with windchill factor in the single digits!

AND our furnace died. Came home from a (day late) Solstice celebration last night to a cold house. Furnace repair didn't make it here until mid-afternoon today, by which time the temp inside our house was 55 degrees! But we once again have a warm house now. Thank goodness for furnaces!

imafan26
Mod

High at around 79 degrees and low around 67. A few sprinkles in the early morning. All in all, I am looking forward to a warm green Christmas. No furnace required.

valley
Greener Thumb

You know, sometimes I think we get more snow than the rest of you. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Attachments
Picture 243.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

When you are there on that Mountain . .

. do you have a snow plow for that goat, Valley?

:wink:

Steve

applestar
Mod

I feel like such a city mouse -- couldn't tell that was a goat until digitS said it. :evil:

It's raining today -- I want snow.

P.S. Didn't get around to looking in this thread until today but glad your furnace was repaired right away and you are staying warm, rainbowgardener. Imafan -- that's average summer temperature for us...makes me think of snowcones and sandy beaches. :cool:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have had a lot of winter already this winter and it is just getting started! After all the snow in Dec, there's not much snow in the forecast now, but almost a whole week where the temps will never get above freezing, day or night. Brrr ...

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I'm still wishing some of the cold would come down our way. Its still averaging 10-12 degrees above normal for this time of year, more humid than normal too. I am actually envious of you all's cool weather. Very wierd this year.

valley
Greener Thumb

How much snow would you like? Here's a picture from a few years back of the girls coming down past the greenhouse.
Attachments
100_0665.JPG

valley
Greener Thumb

Just found this dvd the pictures must be 10 years old.
By the way this is the 9th day of Christmas. Today my present was a pack of 6 cushion Crew socks.

digitS', I have a tractor.
Attachments
100_0664.JPG

applestar
Mod

Looks like fun! :D

It's officially -2°F outside, achieving our norm of negative single digits during January. :|
Temp in the unheated garage "v8 nursery" area on an old dresser along the interior wall by the door to the laundry room is 28.something°F and likely closer to 24-25°F on the floor near the doors where the peppers, etc. are being over-wintered, ....

The remote sensor located on the patio by the back door is registering 5°F (the sun might be starting to "warm" it).

But the remote sensor on the front porch got buried in snow and is registering 22.2°F -- small amount of heat generated by the battery plus the insulation (translate that to "mulch" :mrgreen: ) provided by the snow cover?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It has been a little "odd" here . . .

Some parts of California have had a record dry year. I think it is plenty dry here but we have benefited from some snowstorms moving down from Canada into the US northern Rockies. Lower elevations continued dry, higher elevations with near-normal snow.

I went for a drive thru a nearby university town today. No snow on the roadway under bright blue skies! The snow is only where the plows have moved it up on the sidewalks . . . Something wrong with that picture. At least, there haven't been a lot of students trampling over it lately.

I can't remember now when it snowed. There is a little in my yard that has been there for right at a month. Nothing much added to it and any that was, melted/sublimated away. Many days have passed without a single moment of sunshine. Christmas was White . . . with freezing fog! Never saw the sun - it was white up, down & sideways. New Years Day had a high of 31°f after an overnight low of 30° . . !

No sub-zero temperatures since early December - about that I'm glad but the dragging sameness of most of the days. Please! It was a pretty day today! I see a waxing moon setting in the West. What do you suppose that might mean? I wonder how deep the soil may freeze with constant "below freezing but nothing more" conditions. I'm not real sure how much good an insulating snow cover would do right now. Maybe if we have the same dull sameness of a slow melting, it wouldn't just run off the frozen ground.

Steve

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Very bad snow year, not even half what we should have, skiing is not to good, worst year yet. Rain has been low, between no snow pack and low rain fall, the reservoirs will not be full if this keeps up.

applestar
Mod

When I woke up at little after dawn this morning (around 7:30am), 4°F in the front porch and 5°F on the back patio. Windchill advisory of -15 to -20°F with current reported windchill of -5°F. BRRR!!!

Roaring wind all night which robs the house of any insulating thermal layer, and most of the "weathertight" double glazed windows were frosted on the bottom on the INSIDE this morning. (Good thing I only had the experimental overwintering cotton on any of the windowsills, but some of the plants reaching for the windows look frost bitten at the branch/leaf tips). 55°F in the family room "Winter Wonderland" -- colder on the floor for the " Cool Gang" and 28°f in the unheated garage "V8 nursery".

When the weather is like this, it's worse than a snowstorm. For the garden outside, it could have been freeze-dry weather, but we did have solid snowcover over the ground until two days ago then all day rain that melted them all, so the ground itself is saturated.
Wow the sun has been up for over an hour but the official temp has gone DOWN -- 3°F and windchill of -12°F now. :shock:
Last edited by applestar on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Temperature update.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When I left home to go to work this AM, it was minus 5 degrees, with a wind chill of - 25 degrees. Just walking from the car to the building door, my cheeks, which were the only exposed skin, hurt.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

It was 48*F this AM, high today will struggle to get to 60*F, 23 MPH wind gusts. For South Florida, that is really cold. Mind you, I'm not complaining, I was wishing it would cool off a little. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS NOW we are talking extreme weather!! This was right down near our all time record cold and was a record for the date.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I hate this time of year when there is nothing I can do out side and the seed catalogs are starting to come in!

valley
Greener Thumb

We are way low on snow here in the mountains also at the Nevada ranch. Bad for the skiing in the mountains and for the water table in the high desert.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ohio Tiller wrote:I hate this time of year when there is nothing I can do out side and the seed catalogs are starting to come in!
Start some seeds! :)

I hate all this too, but at least I have lights and seedlings in my basement!

But 2-4" of snow forecast for tonight and then getting cold. Lows at or close to 0 Tue, Wed and Thurs nights and then again Mon and Tues next week. Oh sigh... Way too much winter this winter! I need a trip to Florida!

Cola82
Green Thumb

We decided to make reservations for a weekend vacation at Crater Lake this year but it was already booked all summer so we chose the weekend before the snow is technically supposed to be cleared up.

I've read we're in for another mild winter in the PNW, so eh. There probably won't be much snow anyway. I'd like to be there in the snow, actually. The only consideration is the car, but they clear the roads through the mountains. We should be fine in our little Honda. And there probably won't be much snow. It's been very sunny lately, for which my psoriasis is grateful, if not the municipal water supply.

nzgardner
Newly Registered

February is almost here, meaning one more month of summer (although we have had a lot of high winds and rain in the last week, temps between 18 & 24 deg), and then in to autumn.

Being a beginner gardener looking at what I need to do and prepare in autumn :) exciting times ahead.

imafan26
Mod

Right now the wind is pushing the rain through my jealousie windows from the west side of the house which is an unusual direction. It came on all of a sudden and the curtains are blowing up. I can hear the wind and rain hitting the glass. Tomorrow the forecast is for more rain. Good thing I used some of the water from the rain barrels so there is a little space to collect more. I hope the wind does not knock my shade structure apart again.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Too bad about the skiing tom. I really wish there were a way to distribute some of this better. We had about 3 more inches of snow Mon night. Our average total snow from first of Dec to end of Feb is 17 inches. This year from 1 Dec, we have already had 20 inches.

In the meantime, right this minute, Jamie is taking the dog out to potty and the temp is minus 2 deg F. I'm very glad it is her dog!

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

It's gotten cool even here lately. We won't get out of the 60s for a high today, and the overnight low will be in the 40s. At least it's sunny. It is about 8 degrees colder than average, but we had the warmest december since the 1940's, so it is good to cool off, although I think the 40s is cold no matter where you are.

At least you guys in the freeze don't have to see 60 year old male snowbirds in Speedos walking along Hollywood's broadwalk! :eek:

applestar
Mod

Lots of snow on the ground. Currently 4°F with reported windchill of -13°F :shock:

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Right now in Nebraska I see it is 20degrees and sunny, but I am in Florida and it is a comfortable 47 and sunny. I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the locals all have winter coats on. They even talked about windchill on the weather reports. What you are used to I guess.

Papajim
Newly Registered

35 degrees Fahrenheit, no snow on the ground, perfect time for garden planning with seed catalogs and gardening websites. :D
papajim

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ha, PapaJim! You'll have these suffering folks moving out here!

It hasn't been above freezing for a week and I haven't seen the sun in days and days! The air has been terrible and the freezing fog made the roads like glass the last few days. (How am I doing?)

This afternoon, I will tell y'all about Great Falls current weather. Yep, if you want Montana weather, you can go with Great Falls but, ya gotta stick with it thru thick and thin!

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The weather is actually nice here. It is almost like Spring conditions. Some days it is even "hot". Lots of my outdoor pepper plants are putting out leaves and some are putting out flowers as well. My Goji tree and lemon verbana are putting out leaves now too. I planted some peas and gonna start some Kale while it isn't too hot yet. I may even start my pepper and tomato starts today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Great Falls, MT, it is 37°f at 5pm. It will drop to freezing by morning but the high tomorrow will climb above 50°! That's what the Weather Service says!

Compare that with St. Louis, MO. Bbrrrrr! An earlier time zone but already below zero! It will be in the teens once it warms up tomorrow. Then, snow and more subzero nights over the weekend . . .

St. Louis is at 43° North Latitude. Great Falls is at 47.5° North Latitude and nearly 3,000 feet higher in elevation!

I guess what is happening, and it happened two weeks ago when it was so cold in the Midwest, is the cold air from the north pulls warm air out of California. That warm air sweeps over Montana - at least over that part of Montana. The Midwest will warm up after awhile with some of that warm air. Californians would have every reason to complain if they don't get a little rain out of the deal.

Steve

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The Governor announced a drought and wants everyone to cut water by 20%. They even got water police who will try to catch people wasting water.

valley
Greener Thumb

Well, it's snowing, we need this, hope we get a good bit.

Went skiing today, it was fun, fun and exciting, it was windy , the girls and I did about 10 runs, snow wasn't bad.

Richard

applestar
Mod

Tuesday's forecast for daytime high is 14°F with nighttime low of 1°F -- yes these are in Fahrenheit :shock:

valley
Greener Thumb

We're in the mountains and present, 6500' +, 30-32degrees F at night.
you're much colder in the Garden State.
We need a lot more snow. I'v seen years like this, where we've gotten great dumps of snow in February and march, I've seen 4' of snow here on July 4th.

Richard

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”